Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thumbs up Direct-link brake controller

I recently decided to upgrade my brake controller. The one I had was a
Tru-control by Hensley. It seemed to work fine but this past year had lost it's digital display. I sort of, kinda liked it but found it jerking the trailer on light application of brakes. It also delayed the release on the brakes and I found that annoying. Other than that all was well. I browsed around here and decided to go high end and my short list was Maxbrake or Direct-link. In the end I went with the Direct-link. I ordered it last week direct from Airstream and it came promptly with a free shipping promotion they were offering. Easy installation. I needed to wire in the 4 wire pigtail they included since my truck did not have one pre-wired. At least not one that I was able to find under the dash. Other than a pain in the butt for my big hands to reach the wire ends to squash the connectors it went nicely and the connection could not be easier. Yesterday I had the chance to move my son's trailer that is parked in front of mine to test the hookup and make sure it recognized my trailer when plugged in. All systems go upon plug in and the brakes worked. I did not take it out for a road test but we will be heading out for Florida in about 3 wks so I'll find out then if I like it. I think I will take the old one with me just in case I find a problem with my installation.

Anyhow. The installation is a breeze and all's well so far. I'll see if I like it and post an opinion after a few miles.

Thanks all,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad to see that you've made a choice, and look forward to hearing more about it. It's at the top of my list (and formerly I would have chosen MAXBRAKE). The potential off adding anti-lock brakes via a TUSON module that integrates with this controller is the future, now.

MexRay: DirecLink Brake Controller

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well Red, I don't think you can go wrong with the Maxbrake either. In fact I had more positive recommendations for the Max than the Direct-link. I just didn't feel like taping into the master cylinder. I look forward to having made a good choice and will let you know.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We bought the DirecLink also per Andy Thomson's recommendation from CanAm! Only driven 1830 miles with it but, so far so good!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was a bit worried when I first installed it. I plugged it into my son's flatbed trailer since it was parked right there and the controller did not recognize being plugged in. So something must be wrong with wiring because the other day we took his out of the way and I plugged into my AS with good result. I just needed to make sure so I would have time to correct any issues. So we will take a look at his one of these days when time permits.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18