Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
The GM ITBC will work with ALL electric drum brakes. They will NOT work with Electric over Hydraulic Disc brakes. The electrical architecture will change when the all new 2014s come out next year.
http://blog.easternmarine.com/dexter...railer-brakes/

This is one example of a reference to Dexter's Nev-r-adjust being an electric drum. It's just not clear in the AS manual.

BTW, dznf0g, are you talking about the electrical architecture in the 2014 Chevy or AS?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #100
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hmmm...the Flying Cloud manual says that >25' trailers use Dexter Nev-r-adjust brakes. I also searched that entire PDF for the word "hydraulic" and it only mentions the jack. Are these brakes electric drum (internet search seems to suggest that??) or electric over hydraulic disc? Chevy manual states their ITBC is not meant for E/H.

Still googling solutions if the latter. Wiring magnets in?? Converter kits? Use a P3 aftermarket controller (not to be confused with 3P hitch). Oy!

The AS manual also suggests asking if you don't understand. I'm just following the advice of the manual :-D. Thanks in advance.
You have electric drum brakes and they will work very well with the Chevy's integrated brake controller. You don't need the DirecLink controller being discussed in this thread. Hitch up and go!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell

You have electric drum brakes and they will work very well with the Chevy's integrated brake controller. You don't need the DirecLink controller being discussed in this thread. Hitch up and go!
thanks, newroswell! We have the truck, we pick up the trailer in Feb/Mar...I can't WAIT to get on the road!!! My wife's parents have a 5th wheel SOB camper and they're on the road about 6 months of the year. We're not retired yet but we figured -- life is short -- why wait? We can probably do a long 4-day weekend a month 6 months of the year and enjoy the heck out of it. I'm figuring the AS will not only serve us well for this purpose, but will last until we retire and can hit the road 6+months a year. I'm hoping the Truck & AS will be a lifelong investment...

Glad to know we're pretty much good to go! I had heard so much about GM's ITBC not working w/Airstreams...glad that's not the case for this setup.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brakes

This is one example of a reference to Dexter's Nev-r-adjust being an electric drum. It's just not clear in the AS manual.

BTW, dznf0g, are you talking about the electrical architecture in the 2014 Chevy or AS?
I am talking about the all new pickups for GM in 2014. The complete redesign allows for a new electrical architecture.

I don't believe AS builds and Disc units after 2011....except maybe by special order.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #103
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
A Very Sad Day When............

...............I am trolling in brake controller threads again. I had a Brakesmart for 4 years. Sadly, I had to let it go with the sale of my tow vehicle (it was custom installed in the dash). So I am back to using my Prodigy (not a P2 or 3). It is a pile of dung. Period.

Now I have to admit that I haven't read every single word of this thread, so forgive me if this has been covered previously. I just couldn't hack the dancing around facts, although I guess I can buy the reason why. Well, to a point. I have one question-

If I am at a dead stop and I am literally standing on the brake pedal, how many volts are going to my trailer brakes? Assume the controller is at max gain. Hopefully that answer isn't too proprietary.

I imagine anyone going from a Prodigy to this would be very happy with its performance. But I wonder what someone who has/had a Brakesmart or MaxBrake would think? Does this person exist? The world turns. Where's Dr. Phil? Hiccup.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Anyone using this with a Toyota FJ Cruiser?

Hello All,

We are on the brink of picking up a 16 ft Bambi and using our FJ Cruiser as the tow vehicle. Building the list of things needed, the DirecLink is at the top of my list for brake controllers. Although our 2013 FJ Cruiser fits the "2008 and later Toyota" specification, the FJ is not specifically listed on the Connector list. Does this mean that I'd have to splice into wires manually and do some improvisation to make things work, or am I completely out of luck with the DirecLink?

Connector for DirecLink or DirecLink NE
Fits pre-wired Toyota and Lexus vehicles
2003-2009 Lexus GX470
2010-2013 Lexus GX460
2003-2007 Lexus LX470
2008-2011 Lexus LX570
2013 Lexus LX570
2003-2013 Toyota 4Runner
2003-2011 Toyota LandCruiser
2013 Toyota LandCruiser
2003-2012 Toyota Sequoia
2007-2013 Toyota Tacoma (with OEM Tow Package)
2003-2013 Toyota Tundra

Thanks for your Help,

KippyDooooooooooo
Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thread arise from a deep sleep!

Our 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel built in brake controller did a relatively poor job with the drum brakes on the 2013 25FB International Serenity allowing for the Hensley bump all the time. I switched to a ProPride for the 2014 Classic initially with drum brakes and the bump followed along. Common element - Dodge controller.

We switched the trailer to a Titan (BrakeRite II SD) electric brake pump system for the newly installed hydraulic disc brakes. The pump power wires are wired to the 12Vdc 600 amp-hour trailer battery system associated with the 800 watt solar system. There appears to be a real lack of compatibility between the Dodge and the Titan equipment. Third strike and you are out. The solution is a third party brake controller.

I have a new DirecLink NE at home that came just as I left on a trip. I plan to run a dedicated pair of marine grade #10 wires on a 30 breaker for the +12Vdc from the battery to the trailer socket on the back of the truck. I will use the same type of wire to run to the two power wires of the DirecLink and start with a 15 amp power breaker having both a 20 amp and 30 amp breaker on hand if needed.

I will interrupt the blue wire from the truck controller and attach it to the Tuscon unit and tee the red wire into the brake light sensor circuit. This removes the Dodge controller so it will not throw codes and should allow for better braking. If necessary, I will install the compatible Tuson brake controller in lie of the Titan unit.

This braking issue must be cured before a road trip is even considered again. It was a memorable experience getting the trailer home through the mountains with erratic trailer brakes. Fortunately conservative speeds and diesel engine braking saved the day.

My installation will also have an OBDII splitter as there is an Insight Edge in use now that will be joined by the Tuson DirecLink NE brake controller looking at the computer bus on the truck.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #106
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Any more data/opinions before I decide?

I have decided to upgrade my P3 for numerous small reasons. Before I invest in a DirecLink are there any more opinions, test results, or newer products I should consider?

Any other threads I should read?

Ken
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Don't know of any other products you should look at, but my experience having just changed from a P3 to the DirecLink was good. We changed a few months ago and went on a trip with about 3500 miles of towing. Totally pleased with the DirecLink, and sold my used P3 on Ebay when we returned.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #108
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, buy a new truck with a factory installed brake controller.
Sorry Bob,

No Kewpie dolls for you. I have heard too much conflicting info on built in controllers.

My Dodge has been very good to me so far. I would feel disloyal if I traded it in. It still looks near new and has less than 77,000 mi in 11 years.

I guess the cats will get the dolls to play with.

Ken
Old 09-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Only other thing to add, Ken, is that when I bought my Directlink I was talked into buying their adaptor/wire bundle for my Suburban - but I found the factory (Chev) supplied wire bundle worked as well -
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When we installed the BrakeRite II SD disc brake pump and controller, the distributor failed to ask what brake controller we were planning to use. A material omission as these pump units are incompatible with all "factory" brake controllers. The first trip home in the dark thru the mountains was "interesting" to say the least.

We installed the Tuscon DirecLink NE with our own harness into our 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel.

1. Dedicated 30 amp breaker with #10 wire from battery to the rear 7 pin plug.
2. Dedicated 30 amp breaker with #10 wire from battery to the DirecLink.
3. Dedicated 30 amp #10 wire from battery ground to the rear 7 pin plug.
4. Dedicated 30 amp #10 wire from DirecLink brake signal to the rear 7 pin plug.
5. Dedicated 30 amp #10 wire from battery ground to the DirecLink.

The brake wire from the factory controller was cut and capped at the 7 pin plug. The 12Vdc factory wires (positive and negative were cut and capped at the 7 pin plug. Thus the trailer is never "seen" and no error codes are generated.

While on our first major trip, the DirecLink brake controller LED screen display died. The manual brake application switch and settings continued to operate normally while a replacement was sent out to our next stop.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #111
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I'm contemplating the purchase of a new GMC 2500HD or Ford F350 with ITB. It is to pull a 2007 25' Classic with Actibrake Electric over Hydraulic (EOH) brakes. Does anyone know if these trucks' factory controller can work with this type of EOH?
Currently, I have a DirecLink installed on a 2005 Ford F350. It was easy plug and play.
Would you know how hard it is to install the DirecLink on a GMC with factory ITB, and where to find instructions?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
yes, the new GM 2015 HD redesign got the new electrical architecture.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote