Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Dexter actuator, P3 Controller issues

For those who have this combination I have some questions.
I posted earlier after test driving in the neighborhood thinking that all was well. After taking a 140 mile trip I have some issues.

If I use aggressive braking with the tow vehicle the Dexter actuator does a nice job under 30 mph of stopping the 25ft classic. If I drive normally the Dexter never activates.

At highway speeds the Dexter never activates unless I get really agressive as well.

I have set the P3 up as usual. I have tried all boost levels nothing seems to change the fact that the inertia system just does not activate fast enough to do anything. I have a spare P3 and have swapped it out no difference.

The Actibrake that was removed worked great for 5 years but started leaking. I think the difference is the lower voltage activation of the actibrake. The Dexter requires 3 volts before it starts running. The interesting thing is when I set up the P3 it needs about 8.3 volts before locking up the brakes. With that setting only 2.2 volts is obtained at the Dexter when the brake pedal is pushed. If I disconnect the blue wire prior to the the pump and measure with a digital meter its 3.2 volts. So it appears that the Dexter loading drops the voltage by one volt. This is also true of the 8.3 volts is 9.3 volts at the blue wire when the manual lever is pulled.

I will call Dexter tomorrow but I was hopping someone with this same combination could give me what experience they have had.

The manual says the best controller is the pendilum style Predator DX2 which would appear to be a step back in time and according to the manual gives me no indication that it would provide enough voltage to activate the pump when the brake pedal is pushed.

I think the key is getting the pump to come on when the brake pedal is pushed.

I sure do miss my actibrake.

Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
For those who have this combination I have some questions.
I posted earlier after test driving in the neighborhood thinking that all was well. After taking a 140 mile trip I have some issues.

If I use aggressive braking with the tow vehicle the Dexter actuator does a nice job under 30 mph of stopping the 25ft classic. If I drive normally the Dexter never activates.

At highway speeds the Dexter never activates unless I get really agressive as well.

I have set the P3 up as usual. I have tried all boost levels nothing seems to change the fact that the inertia system just does not activate fast enough to do anything. I have a spare P3 and have swapped it out no difference.

The Actibrake that was removed worked great for 5 years but started leaking. I think the difference is the lower voltage activation of the actibrake. The Dexter requires 3 volts before it starts running. The interesting thing is when I set up the P3 it needs about 8.3 volts before locking up the brakes. With that setting only 2.2 volts is obtained at the Dexter when the brake pedal is pushed. If I disconnect the blue wire prior to the the pump and measure with a digital meter its 3.2 volts. So it appears that the Dexter loading drops the voltage by one volt. This is also true of the 8.3 volts is 9.3 volts at the blue wire when the manual lever is pulled.

I will call Dexter tomorrow but I was hopping someone with this same combination could give me what experience they have had.

The manual says the best controller is the pendilum style Predator DX2 which would appear to be a step back in time and according to the manual gives me no indication that it would provide enough voltage to activate the pump when the brake pedal is pushed.

I think the key is getting the pump to come on when the brake pedal is pushed.

I sure do miss my actibrake.

Pappy
The "Carlisle" actuator has been reported as being equal to actibrake, but without any problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

2005 28' Safari S/O
Rutherfordton , North Carolina
Brake controller

Having the same problem. We pulled a 28' safari s/o with a 2006 Titan and the actibrake system. We bought a 2010 Dodge Ram Diesel this year and changed to a Dexter system. The Dodge has a built in brake controller. We had Dodge change out the brake controller as we thought that was the problem but we still have the same issues as you are having. We also have a Hensley hitch and get the Hensley bump when braking under 30 mph. We would greatly appreciate it if you would let us know who your contact is at Dexter so that we can also call and get some info. Thank you for the info. Peter Abbott abbott835@bellsouth.net or you can call us in NC at 828-286-9195
kabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Kabbott,

If I can find out anything today I will post it here and send you an email as well.

Pappy
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
This is what I found out today.

Dexter says pump should not run with the brake pedal pushed while standing still.
Airstream concurred.

Since there are so many happy Dexter customers I decided either I have a bad actuator or a bad controller.

I replaced my new P3 with another new P3 and I could see a difference in stopping right away.
I also leveled the P3 from front to back even though it says you don't have to. And yes it made a difference.

If I brake easily the accelerometer does not kick in until almost the end of the roll so the truck is doing most of the braking. If I am more aggressive with the truck brakes then the dexter will brake smoothly and is very effective. My settings are 8.3 and Boost 2. When I tried Boost 3 the stopping was to abrupt. As far as stopping power the Dexter is superior to the actibrake for some reason.

I have a very steep driveway and while stopped on the hill the acelerometer held a setting of 4 while stopped and did not go to zero. I thought that was interesting. I released the brakes and reapplied no bump from the hensley.

In fact no known bump from the hensley during any of the braking test.

So I am assuming that at this point it was the controller and the fact that the Dexter unit braking is based on the accelerometer at all times which was confusing the issue.

I would still like to have it activate when the brake pedal is pushed but if I want that I suppose I would have to find a different vender.

Pappy