Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Dexter actuator ?

Can you use a prodigy controller with a hydraulic pump like this or electric brakes only.The instructions say its not intended for use with electric-hydraulic brake systems.I replaced a vacuum powered booster type system.Is this the system they are reffering to.
richnritab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
The way I understand it, the cheaper the better as far as brake controllers for elctric/hydraulic units. The reason being the more expensive, ie..Prodigy, unit have diagnostic features built into them, they send periodic micro pulses to the brakes to check continuity, connection, condition, this tends to confuse the circuitry in the microprocessor of the hydraulic units and I suppose can cause it engage or act eratic at times. There is a note in the Prodigy set up stating not to be used with these units. Try a Tekonsha 9030, less than $100 and a bullet-proff brake control.

Zoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I am not sure of that. A continuity check would consist of a fairly low voltage pulse of a duration fast enough to never get into the response time of the brakes/actuator.

in the case of the Dexter E/H unit - it takes 2 volts output to get the unit to start pumping in the first place. This is (I believe) to allow the unit to not run at stop lights, etc where it is not really needed.

So I am guessing that any brake actuator that will put out between 0 and 12 volts output will probably operate that E/H unit just fine.

I may be way off base on this though and when I got my unit, also got the Dexter actuator that was recomended for that unit. So I can't actually speak with any authority beyong my knowledge of electronics and control systems.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Thanks buttercup.I was going to private message you about this knowing you have this unit.I talked to a dexter rep if the prodigy would work but at the time I did'nt realize the instuctions state that it is'nt designed for electric-hydraulic brakes,rep said it would work.Now I want to make sure.I got a name Jim Miller (a dexter know it all)he works there at 5745957888 Im calling him tomarrow and I'll see what he says.Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #5

d , Delaware
Just a tip. Tekonsha states that as their policy because some electric over hydraulic units can work and others cant most notable is the carlisle and dexter. Because of this they came up with a policy saying it does not work. They have no invested interest that it does or it leaves them open to create their own. The correct response is the electric over hydraulic units circuit board does not know how to determine the difference between the diagnostics check and real braking. Meaning you buy a very expensive unit to put cheap brake control with it.
darrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnritab
Can you use a prodigy controller with a hydraulic pump like this or electric brakes only.The instructions say its not intended for use with electric-hydraulic brake systems.I replaced a vacuum powered booster type system.Is this the system they are reffering to.
A non circuit sensing controller should be used with the new as well as old style disc brake actuators.

There are several types that work very well.

Cost in this case, is almost secondary, in that the expensive controllers will not get the job done, "correctly".

It has also been reported that Dexter has some major problems with their actuator.

Perhaps that's why Airstream uses Actibrake only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

It has also been reported that Dexter has some major problems with their actuator.

Andy
AAhhhhh That's the first I have heard about that... Do you have more specific information this?

I know that my unit has performed flawlessly.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 07-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
O.K. So I have just spent the better part of an hour on Google and can find no documentation that even suggests any problems whatsoever with Dexter actuators. I did find one listing where a motor burned up on a actuator - after running for 57 minutes straight.

Andy, unless you can produce some sort of documentation or reference to that statement, I'll consider it as just hearsay.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
Andy,

The folks at Kodiak already had a deal to supply disc brakes to Airstream when Airstream decided to switch to the Dexter axle - that's why we see the Actibrake.

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Buttercup are you using the dx 2 controller.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Buttercup are you using the dx 2 controller.
Yes I am. It works seamlessly of course with the actuator. Once adjusted properly it works perfectly.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
The Dexter EH actuator is an excellent choice, as my experience with it has proven. I use a Prodigy brake controller with it.
when I first bought the actuator, there was no testing with the prodigy product, so it was not approved. A short while later, Dexter engineering had finished testing the Prodigy as well as Ford's inboard controllers with their product and have officially approved it.
I have absolutely 0 complaints with my Dexter actuator, the performance of the disc brakes with this unit is simply amazing.
Just the other day KenJ, while leading me to his house, made a quick turn preceded by hard braking, so I had to nail the brakes in order to avoid hitting him, and make the turn as well....no problem. This was from 50mph, going downhill alongside I-40 east of Albuquerque.
The braking performance is smooth, linear, quiet, and I am yet to experience any brake fade, whatsoever.
The prodigy does have some boost functions that make the brakes feel funny. I use mine in standard operating mode, with none of the functions activated. Perhaps that is the reason Prodigy says no to EH actuators. But then, I never did read the complete manual.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
I talked to Jim Miller at dexter and he told me the first generation actuators would'nt work.The new actuators have barreled tanks.They have added circuitry that sends a signal back to the controller.I hooked mine up today and bleed my brakes.The only thing I had to do is put the controller on b2 and turn the boost control (the knob on the left)all the way up to get enough voltage to activate the pump at a stand still.(3 volts).If it does'nt feel right in motion Im going to change that.I have'nt driven it yet.My brakes are work'in and this baby's ready for a test drive tommarrow.You guy's are awesome wish me luck.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
While standing still (vehicle not moving), I used the level to get me just below the 2 volts that I need to start the pump.
With that set I adjust the gain to get me the amount of braking that I need when rolling. This was all I needed. It does work that way.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I just hooked everything up, bridged the blue and yellow wire to bleed, and went off on a test drive ( 500 miles round trip to Pismo Beach and home). It took a little while before I found the sweet spot on the Prodigy, but it more or less worked flawlessly right away. I just realized that I am about due for my annual blake fluid flush....and bearing repack.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
When you hooked the actuator directly to the trailer battery did you hear it engage or click.And do you leave your batteries connected when your storing it.Probably not a good idea anyway right?I did connect mine to the battery and not the tow vehicle.What did you do?Where is VC Highlands.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
When you hooked the actuator directly to the trailer battery did you hear it engage or click.
It clicks when you hook it up. I don't know why, but it does.

Quote:
And do you leave your batteries connected when your storing it.Probably not a good idea anyway right?
I do leave the batteries connected. It does not seem to matter in regards to the brake actuator. I have never disconnected the battery ( batteries as of late) for storage. I do remove them occasionally for servicing and/or bench charging, but usually, thei're hooked up.

Quote:
I did connect mine to the battery and not the tow vehicle.What did you do?Where is VC Highlands.
I have no clue where VC highlands is.
The brake controller is hooked to the batteries, the tow vehicle charges the batteries, so in a way it is parallelled to the tow vehicle via the batteries.
Also - you will need a decent transfer of power from the tow vehicle to the umbilical cord. I suggest a 7-pin round connection. It is capable of 40A continuous charge transfer, and has much better electrical connections than the 7-pin flat.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
When you hooked the actuator directly to the trailer battery did you hear it engage or click.And do you leave your batteries connected when your storing it.Probably not a good idea anyway right?I did connect mine to the battery and not the tow vehicle.What did you do?Where is VC Highlands.
Rich, Mine also clicked when I hooked it w\up but it is always connected to the batteries no problems.

Virginia City Highlands is a rural area about 9 miles south ease of reno, Nevada. It's Gods Country with wild horses and no gang tagging. I love it!
http://overlander.archnevada.com/index.php?horsepower
Old 07-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Thats sounds like a nice place to be buttercup.I bought property in western hills just outside of elko.Im 3 years from a carpenters pension and 3 years from elko.Im going to live in this airsteam while I build my house.Anyway,just one more question for now how loud is your pump.Mine sounds like some one is putting rivets in steel girders.Its real loud.I bled it according to the plans does yours do this?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Disregard my last post I just got back from my test drive and everything works great.The prodigy is sweet on this actuator.Brakes lock up right at initial set up setting I hardly had to adjust.I love it.Thanks buttercup and every one else for thier input thus far.