Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Cut wire to brake magnet

While doing the first wheel bearing repacking on our '05 31' Classic I discovered a cut wire inside the hub going to the rear, driverside wheel brake magnet. Apparently during manufacturing of the axle the wires going to the magnet were not secured and were loose enough to get caught in the brake mechanism and cut. I'm assuming this as the alternative seems improbable. All the other wheels had 3 clips holding the wires behind the break shoe actuator arm, this wheel had one secured clip and one unsecured clip. We tow with a F250 crew cab PSD and I never felt any problems in braking in our 8 months and 8000+ miles of towing so I don't know when the wire was severed. It might have been like that upon delivery. Anyway, I repaired the cut wire and thought I would post something just for info on something to check during maintainance. Maybe I'll feel a difference now that I'll have all four brakes working. I also notified Airstream Quality Control about the problem.
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I had the same problem on two of my wheels...both wires seemed to be cut too short and looked like they had pulled away on there own. I spliced in wire and used heat shrink over both.

The yucky rust you see is all nicely done in POR 15 now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	26334  
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote