Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm glad you replaced all the pads (all meaning all 8 pads I hope). If I had this problem, I would be worried much more would crumble causing damage to the rotors.

Since the inner and outer pads are different they could have been made at different times on different machines using different stuff. A crumbling pad sounds like a very inferior product and may indicate a different source or material. The wear from a smaller rotor on the inner pad wouldn't bother me too much, although as more wear happened, would that ridge cause a problem. The response from Kodiak seems less that truthful.

Whether this is what happened or not, I don't know, but it seems when a previously reputable manufacturer starts outsourcing to another country they receive poor quality products until they convince their new supplier they won't accept garbage, or they'll get a new source.

I assume these are OEM brakes and another possible example of poor QC in Airstreams.

Gene
Gene:

Yup, I did replace all 8 pads.

My AS is a 2008, 28' International, and the Kodiak disc brakes were installed by Roger Williams, in Weatherford, Texas.

SRW

Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
SRW,

Have had braking problems on our 2007 25' Classic for two years now. Fourth Actibrkae has just been fitted and still having problems - mostly drag after release of brake pedal. My thoughts are that your pads are disintigrating due to excessive build up of heat.

On a trip I regularly stop and check axle hubs - always the outer hubs are extremely hot and the inner side by the drop arm is quite cool. Your outer pads are breaking up and inner are intact - my guess a heat issue.

I've never had pads on any vehicle (truck or motorcycle) that overlapped the discs.

Surprised Actibrake is out of business. Guess my 5th actuator will have to be a Dexter unit or some other brand. Also on our 2nd Ford IBC and have now been sent a new brake pressure transducer to fit to master cylinder.

Don't know if any of the above helps.

Regards, John in the UK

It appears that the replacements for the Actibrake actuator will be Carlisle.

It has the same exact specs as the Actibrake.

Airstream, at of this moment has not decided which replacement they will use.

As soon as we learn what their choice is, we will post it.

Andy

Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
SRW,

Have had braking problems on our 2007 25' Classic for two years now. Fourth Actibrkae has just been fitted and still having problems - mostly drag after release of brake pedal. My thoughts are that your pads are disintigrating due to excessive build up of heat.

On a trip I regularly stop and check axle hubs - always the outer hubs are extremely hot and the inner side by the drop arm is quite cool. Your outer pads are breaking up and inner are intact - my guess a heat issue.

I've never had pads on any vehicle (truck or motorcycle) that overlapped the discs.

Surprised Actibrake is out of business. Guess my 5th actuator will have to be a Dexter unit or some other brand. Also on our 2nd Ford IBC and have now been sent a new brake pressure transducer to fit to master cylinder.

Don't know if any of the above helps.

Regards, John in the UK
UK John:

I have read that Airstream has a new supplier for the brake controller on this forum, although I can't remember exactly where. The name of the new supplier was listed.

I am going on a five day trip next week and will pay close attention to heat using my handy dandy infrared sensor. I must say. however, that I did not smell anything all last year that might have been related to over heated brake pads.

SRW
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
OK, I have added two photos of the "crumbling" brake pads.

The top photo, of the outside pad, shows that the pad has started to disintegrate from the top edge down. What cause it - I am not sure. Would the crumbling have continued - I am not sure.

The bottom photo, of the inside brake pad shows a wear pattern that may indicate that the pad is over sized for the size of the rotor.

Is it normal for pads to extend above the edge of the rotor - I don't know, but the fact that they do so may explain the crumbling of the outside pads.

All out side pads are worn pretty much the same. All inside pads are worn pretty much the same.

SRW
Hi, in your pictures of the brake pads, the outer one looks to have been cooked. [overheated] And the inside pad also looks to be cooked, but not as bad. [but not good] It is never acceptable to have the pad extend past the rotor; As it wears, it will try to ride up or start to wear at an angle. Buy and install ceramic pads; And make sure they fit correctly. I have read that the original pads are not very good.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
SRW : I apologise for hijack.

Inland RV Centre :

Andy - are Active Technology out of business because of the present financial climate or a faulty product? The latter would go some way to explain my two year nightmare with braking issues - 2 of our 4 actuators had burnt out electrics.

Will be interesting to see which brake actuator Airstream will fit.

Thanks, John
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
wapakoneta , Ohio
Since Airstream currently uses Dexter disc brakes they will converting to the Dexter pump.