Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Crazy Idea

Has anybody considered putting regenerative brakes on an AS? Last year GMC released the Sierra truck as a hybrid. The brakes for that vehicle might be able to fit an Airstream. I just think it might be interesting to charge your batteries every time you tap the brakes.

If I am just completely off my nut for thinking about this let me know.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
disc brakes are (were) on the horizon

Wow, that's a great idea! I was thinking about putting disc brakes on the AS instead of rebuilding-now I am thinking regen brakes, 'course the cost will probably kill the idea.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Brakes

Ok so take it one more step.
If you pur regenerative brakes on the AS, why cant you also use them as dynamic brakes as on a Diesel Locomotive?
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
If you pur regenerative brakes on the AS, why cant you also use them as dynamic brakes as on a Diesel Locomotive?
Beginner
Regenerative brakes and Dynamic brakes rely on some of the same basic principles, where they will use the resistance of a “generator” to provide braking force instead of the friction of brake pads and shoes. What you do with the electricity generated by the braking force is where they are different. Regenerative brakes on a hybrid or electric car use that electricity to recharge the batteries. Dynamic brakes on the other hand, simply dump that electricity into honking big resistors to slow the train. They produce a fair amount of waste heat, but do not wear out like a friction pad would. Not used to recharge batteries much if at all. There are a few more significant differences, but those are the basic principles.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Wow..so the idea has some merit. I thought you all were gonna run me off as a crazy. I wonder how you go about obtaining regen breaks.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Oh, every idea has merit! It's just a question of how much money you'll want to throw at it, let alone finding the parts to do it.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
You're right Chris that's the hard part. At least hard for now but I suspect as hybrids become increasingly popular and mainstream that parts will get cheaper and more abundant.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Start looking for wrecked Sierra's.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
It's not the brakes that do the regeneration, it's the drive train and electric motor, which also acts as a generator.

Of course the vehicle needs to have conventional brakes too, since more braking can be needed then the regenerative process will produce.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Regenerative Brakes

I was unsure if the electricity produced was "burned off" by resistors or if reverse polarity Electricity was gradually fed to the drive/generator motor trying to reverse it.
However I'm not really sure if regenerative braking would be really pratical on a car as at some point you would be producing to much energy (voltage level goes to high for batteries) or heat becomes too great for the motor.
The long pole in the tent though is money.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think the more practical problem with diesel locomotives is economics. You would need a really big honking set of batteries to store all that energy that is now being thrown off in the resistors. And they would really only be useful on those long downhill runs out west. Otherwise they are like regenerative brakes on a car - pretty useless when you're cruising the interstate, only useful in stop and go city traffic.

Same reason they work so well on city buses, not so good on interstate trucks.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerguson View Post
Has anybody considered putting regenerative brakes on an AS? Last year GMC released the Sierra truck as a hybrid. The brakes for that vehicle might be able to fit an Airstream. I just think it might be interesting to charge your batteries every time you tap the brakes.

If I am just completely off my nut for thinking about this let me know.
The Sierra regenerative braking works using a motor-generator between the engine and the transmission.

It would work fine on an Airstream if you're willing to retrofit a suitable drive train less engine. For braking on both axles you'd want a twin screw setup, and a 4L60e transmission out of the Sierra, and the motor-generator. Then it's simply a matter of some controls and programming.

In general, traction motors are too heavy to be placed on the axle except for rail applications because the unsprung weight goes way too high, so the obvious solution of a planetary gear unit and a motor/generator on the axle won't work. That leaves the standard possibilities of either a solid axle (cheap but heavy) or a full-floating setup with independent shafts to a center diff or maybe to a planetary and m-g dedicated to each wheel.

As late as the 1990s some German passenger railcars used a generator driven by one wheel to charge batteries. The rest of the world uses head-end power (HEP), but the advantage of the old German system was that no electrical connection was required between cars.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It's not the brakes that do the regeneration, it's the drive train and electric motor, which also acts as a generator.

Of course the vehicle needs to have conventional brakes too, since more braking can be needed then the regenerative process will produce.
exactly! Then the issue becomes:

How does one connect all 4 wheels to some sort of generator. I'm not saying it's impossible, just an issue.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post

A good friend pointed that same point out to me. Ah well, at least I got folks thinking.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I don't even want to think about trying this with 3 axles. That would be three wrecks, three sets of axles, a new suspension system since the torsion type from the factory wont work with a split axle......., but it is a great idea. I am glad you got me thinking.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The Sierra regenerative braking works using a motor-generator between the engine and the transmission.

It would work fine on an Airstream if you're willing to retrofit a suitable drive train less engine. For braking on both axles you'd want a twin screw setup, and a 4L60e transmission out of the Sierra, and the motor-generator. Then it's simply a matter of some controls and programming.

In general, traction motors are too heavy to be placed on the axle except for rail applications because the unsprung weight goes way too high, so the obvious solution of a planetary gear unit and a motor/generator on the axle won't work. That leaves the standard possibilities of either a solid axle (cheap but heavy) or a full-floating setup with independent shafts to a center diff or maybe to a planetary and m-g dedicated to each wheel.

As late as the 1990s some German passenger railcars used a generator driven by one wheel to charge batteries. The rest of the world uses head-end power (HEP), but the advantage of the old German system was that no electrical connection was required between cars.
You can actually take this concept one step further and have a trailer that could actually propel itself, like supplemental power on a hill or getting unstuck out in the boondocks. I was kind of inspired by what this guy did:

Electric Porsche 944
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I don't even want to think about trying this with 3 axles. That would be three wrecks, three sets of axles, a new suspension system since the torsion type from the factory wont work with a split axle......., but it is a great idea. I am glad you got me thinking.
Oh I agree this is pandora's box! I dont' even want to think about what a modification like this would do to resale value.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Interesting idea, but this is really better implemented on the tow vehicle. That way, one can descend hills using regenerative braking much as one uses compression brakes, and the trailer service brakes are left unmodified to deal with more emergency stopping conditions. Keep in mind that whatever energy storage mechanism is employed, it needs to deal with storing the power generated by retarding speed on long downgrades; for 14k lbs or more for trailer + TV this can easily be 100 to 200 KW - not something you're going to easily store quickly - that's 300 to 600 amps at 330 volts - an impressive battery charger indeed.

I built a hydraulic hybrid car as part of a master's thesis in mechanical engineering in the early 80s; I ended up using a hydraulic accumulator & pump/motor as it would store & discharge power at a much higher rate than an equivalent weight of lead acid batteries.

Storing all the available energy on a long descent is hard.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post

I built a hydraulic hybrid car as part of a master's thesis in mechanical engineering in the early 80s; I ended up using a hydraulic accumulator & pump/motor as it would store & discharge power at a much higher rate than an equivalent weight of lead acid batteries.

Storing all the available energy on a long descent is hard.

- Bart
Wow!!! That is so cool. Do you have any pictures?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I built a hydraulic hybrid car as part of a master's thesis in mechanical engineering in the early 80s; I ended up using a hydraulic accumulator & pump/motor as it would store & discharge power at a much higher rate than an equivalent weight of lead acid batteries. - Bart
Kinda like the "air-accumulator" used by the Indians in Asia...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote