Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Converting to Disk Brakes

So how does one convert to disk brakes. I am assuming they are hydraulic so you have to have something that converts the electric brake signal to mechnical force to drive some sort of master cylinder I am assuming?

Perry

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Here's one supplier:

Trailer Parts Depot - Brakerite Electric/hydraulic Actuators | Trailer Parts | TrailerPartsDepot.com=

Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
My advise leave them as they were built It will be a lot easier to have them repaired if needed in the future Electric drum brakes work just fine . There has been some trouble with the electric /hydraulic disc brakes . What happened to surge hydraulic brakes ?
Don
Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I am thinking that as well now that I have read about the problems with the disk systems. Now if I were towing with one of them thar VW things disk brakes might be a better option.

Perry
Old 11-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Several years now we had the Airstream factory install the Kodiak disk brake system on our Excella 2001 and we have been very pleased. They have performed flawlessly. We travel roughly 5000 miles per year and have not had to service them as yet. Going to change my tires, though, especially after reading some recent posts about blowouts.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So how does one convert to disk brakes. I am assuming they are hydraulic so you have to have something that converts the electric brake signal to mechnical force to drive some sort of master cylinder I am assuming?

Perry
Perry,

Remember...."if it aint broke, fix it 'til it is"

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Guess I'm the dissenting voice.

Took one long day to replace the drums with discs, add in a hydro electric pump and bend and install the brake lines.

Been working perfectly for the last three years.

The discs use GM 1 ton truck brake pads so you can get them anywhere. The entire unit stops in 2/3s the distance of the electric brakes nor do they fade.

An unexpected plus is that the disc brakes are balanced just like your car so I had the tires balanced and viola! No vibration in the trailer. In transit the drawers stay closed. The stuff in the fridge and on the shelves stays where you left it. Heck the pillows even stay on the sofa.

I did the upgrade because some dope pulled out in front of me and we found ourselves literally inches from a collision. I'd do it again in half a heart beat.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We chose to go the disc brake route when I replaced the axles on the Tin Pickle. We've been quite happy with the excellent stopping power and fade resistance of the Kodiak brakes. When traversing the Panimint Range into Death Valley, we were happy to have good brakes on the long 10% downgrade; second gear wouldn't hold her back. I feel the truck and trailer together may actually have a shorter stopping distance than the truck by itself; our 1996 F250 wasn't available w/ four wheel discs.

The other big advantage of disc brakes is that they're self-adjusting, so braking effort remains even all around automatically.

- Bart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panamint.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	145089  
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am having problems with my drum setup. It seems that one wheel wants to lock up way before the others. Drum brakes are a pain and unpredictable when approaching lockup. They are not linear. Speed and temperature seem to be a factor as well. The magnets are more efficient at applying force at low speeds it seems. Still the hydraulic setup has it's issues as well. I just got finished testing my brakes. My right rear is locking up an starting to flat spot the tire. I took it off and everything looks fine. I backed way off the adjuster to see if it helps. On the way down to FL about a month ago I had one brake too tight and I had to stop and adjust it. When I got back I found that that brake had gotten so hot that it blew the grease seal and that was causing lockup problems on the way home. I think cheap brake shoe compounds cause problems as well. I had problems with the rear brakes on my Ranger and had to go to a more expensive shoe and that solved the problem. I don't think the brake manufactures understand brake shoes anymore. The area of the front and rear shoes have to be different and sometimes even the compound between the front and rear shoes needs to be different. If there is too much friction on the leading shoe they will lock up without warning.

Perry
Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Perry,

Are the primary and secondary shoes installed properly?

Small shoe forward.

Bob
Attached Images

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I feel the truck and trailer together may actually have a shorter stopping distance than the truck by itself

Yup. An impressive thing, isn't it?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yes the short shoe is in front. I have made about 3 test drives with the trailer today. I ended up backing off the adjuster on the wheel that was locking up. This seems to have cured the problem. The tire is getting kinda shaggy. I hope it will true up with some miles on it. I think I am at about 9V on the brake controller now. I did some panick stops and it seems to be working pretty well. I think the shoes are a little bit on the aggresive side. What a PIA. I think we are ready to go. I got a lot of practice backing the trailer up today.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Perry,

Are the primary and secondary shoes installed properly?

Small shoe forward.

Bob
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Perry,

It looks like you've decided to stay with the electric brakes -- probably a wise choice.

Several people (notably 2air, who rarely posts these days, and Bart, who posted above) who drive extensively in the mountains really like their disc brakes.

But many people have had problems. The disc systems are hard to install well, and there have been problems with hose and line failures, either from fittings pulling out after extreme suspension travel or from abrasion during suspension movement. Otherwise mechanically adept people have had trouble bleeding brakes. There have been reports of calipers sticking. Disc brake problems often result in loss of braking on all four wheels in contrast to electrical problems which usually do not.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brakes

Disc brakes are much cheaper to maintain, but not free.

They must be checked periodically just like the disc brakes on many cars and trucks.

The disc brake failures in the RV industry have not been a great number, but it has happened.

Poor workmanship is the biggest cause of failure. Improper installations, improper hoses, improper fittings, have all contributed to the issue.

Next, is "knock off" systems.

Granted, a few companies got into that field, and are now gone, one of which was Actibrake, that for some reason suddenly developed many problems with some of their actuators.

The best two at this point, are Carlisle and Dexter, each of which have vastly different actuators.

There have been more issues with the Dexter, but perhaps because there are more of them on Airstreams.

There is no real comparison between electric brakes and disc brakes.

All being said, the disc brakes are far superior, as proven over and over again by our automotive industries.

In the meantime, we must all be cautious regarding the "PROPER" everythings
regarding the Airstream disc brake systems of late, at least until such time as each installation has proven itself.

Safety, is not something to check on "once in a while" but indeed something to always be a front runner in our thinkings and observations.

Andy