Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Andy,

I have tried adding that 100lbs to the TV steering, no difference, trailer is level when using original setting. And it really doesn't make a difference in drivability.

Bob
It's the lack of WD to the TT axles also, not just the FA. The Drive Axle can afford to shed some of the 1,180-lbs it has picked up with WD activated, looked at from either approach. Only a bare amount of WD is occurring.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

It's a 5500lb rated rear axle...
WD is pretty much right-on... set anywhere between 50% and 85%.
When fully loaded, 85 works best, ticket #3. 100lb lite on str axle.
But Level!!

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay, (and you're a big boy on this stuff, not a newbie, so bear with me)

why not some forward hitch head tilt?

That'll move some weight both onto the FA and the TT?
IOW, why run the RA at max?.

Thanks

Edit: Read your sig. Forgot that you have the same second-rate VPP hitch that I have, the nearly un-adjustable Hensley. With my concrete truck Dodge springs I got zip WD. Truck had no problem running at nearly 6k on the RA, but it was frustrating nonetheless. Swapped stingers twice (and this with a leaf-sprung trailer, not IS).

The Pro Pride solves this deficiency. My next hitch (and there will be one) will be either that or a Pullrite.

"trailer level" . . yeah, I get it. That great 'Nam rejoinder: Don't mean nothin, drive on.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would expect your tow vehicle with the tail way low would be bad because then the trailer would tend to push the front wheels off the ground when stopping. This is assuming the trailer brakes don't have enough stopping power to stop the trailer on their own and most don't. Level is best. Tail high is probably not good either especially if you have little or not brakes on the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #65
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Take into account...

Consider>>the Classic is equipped with 2 3500lb axles, 7300max.

TV rear axle rating 5500lbs. Max camping load on TV rear axles..4680lb.
Margin?

TV str axle 100lb under unloaded weight. Not with-in margin?

AS axles...7640Lb>>340lb over. Not good. ... but doable.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV wt..jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	146355   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	146356  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07990.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	146358  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The beauty of numbers. I can see why you do what you do (which is why I asked). I did think that the TT was heavier than it is, and thereby assumed (as well) that there was room for more weight transfer fore and aft. You certainly had me puzzled, so I had to deflect it onto the hitch (on which nothing will change my opinion short of an adjusting head).

Thanks for filling in the gaps. I learn from all of these examinations so am appreciative of the full picture.

Nascar aside, it is neither nitpicking nor effort wrongly expended, IMO . . this, on a week with two threads about TT's/TV's and a driver seriously damaged/injured (or destroyed) while en route. Confidence in one's rig is validated by numbers.

The best hitch rigging is -- like the best brakes [disc] -- a control device[s] ideally manipulated by the driver involving the least effort and smoothest feedback.

The Test is not the time to learn of, or regret, any shortcomings.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #67
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Ricky,

I saw you want to order the F150 with the max tow option. You realize Ford is also offering a Heavy Duty option. To the best of my knowledge there is a substantial increase in the payload capacity. It includes LT tires slightly larger frame, 7 lug wheels and a few other HD tow options. Check things out on the Ford Fleet site:https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...12_F150_SB.pdf

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote