Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Classics with Disc Brakes ?

What year did Airstream start using Disc Brakes on Classics ? Do all 2000's and newer have disc brakes ? Hope to here some replies .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I know it was prior to 2007. And I assume you only want to know about E/H brakes.. there were vacuum discs waaaay back.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Our 2005 Classic has disc brakes. They sure are nice. Easy to work on to replace pads. Kodiak brand rotors and calipers.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The 2015's have the standard drum brakes. I wanted to go to disc brakes, but found that there is no conversion possibility due to the Dexter Nev R Lube bearings. E Trailer really tried to figure this out for me with both Titan and Kodiak, but no soap.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Barry, we were at Jackson Center two years ago with our 2012 Flying Cloud, Dexter Nev R Lube bearings, and they gave us a quote of a little over $3,000 to install the disc brake assembly. I think they would remove the Nev R Lube assembly, bolt a new spindle on our present axles to install them, and we would then have disc brakes with standard bearings.

Didn't do it because our drum brakes were near new and worked well. Still on my mind.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
The 2015's have the standard drum brakes. I wanted to go to disc brakes, but found that there is no conversion possibility due to the Dexter Nev R Lube bearings. E Trailer really tried to figure this out for me with both Titan and Kodiak, but no soap.
Nev R Lube bearings, in my service related opinion, are very risky.

First of all if your traveling and have a problem, replacement parts can only be special ordered. Therefore you must wait.

Secondly, the owner is convinced that the brakes will last a long time as well. NOT TRUE.

If you must take the running gear apart to service the brakes, then why not do the bearings at the same time, I think, is an interesting question.

Dexter also says you cannot add balancers such as the Centramatics, because they move the wheel out 1/16 of an inch. HUH!!!!

A few owners have done exactly that and have not experienced ANY problems.

That proof, I think, might make many owners feel that Dexter, at times, likes to create false information, such as shocks are not needed, but yet they install them for Airstream, because Airstream has a better opinion as to the need.

Certainly, torsion axles absorb shocks, but the added shock absorbers, help even more so. Time has more than proven that over and over.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
My 2006 30 S/O came new with Dexter hydraulic disk brakes. Dexter all the way. 4 piston calipers, Dexter Never Lube and Dexter Rotors. Had to replace the Acti-Brake actuator due to it being junk and they finally went out of business for that reason. Replaced with Tuson RV Brake system / Direclink. It ain't cheap but neither is your Airstream. If you want the best look into www.direclink.com . FYI there is nothing in it for me if you get one. I am not connected with Tuson in any way. I have been through the first generation Actibrake, the second generation Actibrake (the one you had your dealer drill the hole in to check for leaks) and the Dexter replacement the AS Factory installed to replace it. The Dexter with a P3 controller was OK, but the Tuson system with it's two way computer controlled system is the best I have found.

All the Dexter components on my trailer have worked perfectly. I did have the brake hose issue but that was an Airstream issue and was resolved early on.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Our Classic came out of Jackson Center new with Henschen 5,000# axles and optional Kodiak Electric over Hydraulic Disc Brakes. We have successfully used a Tekonsha P3 Controller with no problems on 3 tow vehicles. We just had the brake pads replaced for the first time since new after noticing a crack in one of the pads. At the same time we had the hydraulic fluid flushed out and replaced. These disc brakes are far superior to the electric brakes we had on our '93 Excella 1000 29' and '00 Excella 28'. Smooth, consistent braking power all the time with these discs and low maintenance!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
E/H Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
What year did Airstream start using Disc Brakes on Classics ? ...
I do not know the starting year; however, our 2006 30 ft. Classic has disc brakes.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for all the replies My problem is I have a 2009 GM 2500HD and my ITBC won't work with Disc Brakes so it looks like I need to add a aftermarket controller , Since we have been looking for a newer Airstream Classic I have passed up 2 of them because of the brakes , Now I need to get the controller problem figured out before I miss out on the next one .
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I wouldn't pass up a good trailer just because of your ITBC. Just install a good after,arket BC, like Direclink.

What did you do before ITBC were available? This isn't big deal....?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
2008 classic 25fb. Dexter axles and disc brakes. Replaced the Actibrake with a Dexter controller. The PO has a trailer brake magnet inline with the brake actuator. and my 2015 Ram recognizes it as an electric brake. I haven't tried disconnecting the magnet to see if the Ram IBTC recognizes it as EOH.

Kelvin
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I wouldn't pass up a good trailer just because of your ITBC. Just install a good after,arket BC, like Direclink.

What did you do before ITBC were available? This isn't big deal....?
I didn't want to add another controller since my truck already had the ITBC I didn't know GM was so far behind times . Hoped this would be the last truck I would be buying . My previous truck I added the controller but my Airstream had drum brakes . Will adding another controller cancel out my ITBC ? I talked to Direct Link and they acted like it isn't a easy install . Both the Classics I missed were out of state and didn't want to go there and not be able to tow them home . Lesson learned .
Old 09-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's pretty easy. Just like any other controller under the dash. But you need to disconnect the blue OEM brake apply wire and attach the Direclink blue output to the trailer connector. That can be done anywhere in the harness between the itbc and the truck umbilical socket.

But the magnet mod is easier and then you can use itbc. Is there a reason why you don't want to do that?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's pretty easy. Just like any other controller under the dash. But you need to disconnect the blue OEM brake apply wire and attach the Direclink blue output to the trailer connector. That can be done anywhere in the harness between the itbc and the truck umbilical socket.

But the magnet mod is easier and then you can use itbc. Is there a reason why you don't want to do that?
I can't very well do the magnet mod on a trailer that I don't own yet so I guess the after market controller is the way to go . I'm just hesitant about it no being compatible with my truck and driving 500 miles and find out I can't tow it home .
Thanks for you help
Les
Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
My 2006 Classic limited 34 with slide came with dexter disc brakes and never lube bearings and a dexter actuator. Andy is right when you break down you have limited places to get parts. We spent 12 days in Wakeeny Kansas waiting for parts

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
The Kodak disc brakes parts are usually not available locally either. I carry a spare set of pads, timken bearings, cotter pins, grease and seals. I even got a spare caliper rebuild kit to carry along as well. Next season I'm taking a complete spare caliper. So far the Actibrake unit is still working, original boot shaped unit not on the recall list. Brakes get a going over each season. Never had to repair the brakes on the road yet, knock on wood. But if they do, I'll be ready.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 AM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ampman,

I like the sound of your spare parts, now let me suggest one more item.

A hyd line plug.

Go to your auto parts store and it's a 3/8 brake line plug and get a 3/8 brake line coupling too.

This combination will allow you to cap the end of a single line and drive with out having to repair at that bad spot you're at when it happens. It could even be bled if necessary.

I carry a spare caliper set and pads along with the plug.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The Kodiak parts are available at every parts store across the country!
The Kodiak manual provides at least 3 different options for pads, none of which are more than $13.
The bearings are very common as are the seals. Cotter pins and castle nuts are always reusable unless lost.
I use the Kodiaks with the Carlisle actuator on both my PanAm and classic, both tri axles. Not a moments worth of trouble!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #20
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Good idea on the hydraulic plug! Will get one of those too. I have never broke down next to a parts store. Plus my spare parts are available 24/7. Most of our travels are out west where it gets pretty remote. Haven't seen too many parts stores in national or state parks or forest areas. Most mountainous regions are not very populated with parts stores either. Took me a week to order USA made Timken bearings from a dealer last year. All others at local parts stores were offshore made. My choice though. Just feel naked without spare wear parts while on the road.