Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #43
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by labalope View Post
Thanks all, I hope the Airstream will be a little less complicated than the last motor home we had, I am a fan of PM On the bus we replaced tires every five years same with the batteries, but was running 365-tires, can you get Michelin tires in 16 inch and what ply and pressure do you run, also what is the life and when are the tires to be changed out. again we are looking to simplify, I want to flip a switch and the light comes on, not have to worry whether the computer will recognize me or if the darn thing shuts down and you cannot even get in the thing much less operate anything, any body else been there? Gary

It's brutal when the lights don't come on. Trust me I know. My preference to carry spare parts is from my upbringing and work ethic. I can't hardly tell a customer that I can't get the lights on because I don't have the right part with me. At work I carry it all on my service truck and when I leave the trouble call the lights are back on. Kinda how I think of our travels with the dear wife. She's the one I can't let down getting stuck somewhere without simple spare parts. I'm just paranoid that way. You will be fine with out spares if you don't want to carry them. Heck if you ever need help with a traveling breakdown near central Texas give me a shout and I'll be glad to help. Got everything you would need already on my own truck.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #44
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
It's really rare that a bearing fails anyway! With proper preload a earring should last a good long time. Synthetic greased also add to the longevity.

A too tight bearing will always fail before a too loose bearing!

Atomic,
Your right about bearings lasting a long time and probably will never fail. Unfortunately I found one of mine had some heat discoloration on it during the annual bearing repack. Decided to replace all races and bearings on the rotors with US made ones mainly because I could. I didn't like the look of the off shore ones at the dealer. Not saying there's anything wrong with the off shore product but compare the two side by side and you will see and feel a difference. I don't like paying more for parts but I'm hoping I am helping some guy working hard for a living here in the US keep his job. I also actually enjoy doing the bearing and brake service on the Airstream. It's pretty simple work and it gives me greater confidence to know what to do out in the boondocks for our own rig or somebody else's. Maybe I should pack spare parts for other types and sizes of airstreams so that I could help them out too while on the road...... Could trade the work for steaks and cold adult beverages.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #45
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm convinced synthetic greases will allow a bearing to last forever!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Weeeeellll, forever is a stretch, but it is good stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #47
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I'm convinced synthetic greases will allow a bearing to last forever!

Most greases and oils will last forever too. It's the darn moisture from condensation, heat and dirt that causes failure. I think most modern components are pretty good no matter who makes em whether they be Kodiak, Dexter or something else. I'm thinking I'll stick with the yearly maintenance and inspection because I like to do it, saves me money, gives me piece of mind, wife thinks I'm awesome doing my own work and lastly, it's in the Airstream manual and most other trailer guides to do so. Now where's that ice cold adult beverage that needs to be dealt with. I'm on it......
Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #48
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've put about 10,000 miles on my "new" ('15) Classic and have had no issues at all with running gear. BUT, I would still prefer disc brakes. It really isn't an option, as the spindles (I am told) are different -- and going to a regular bearing isn't an option UNLESS the spindles are replaced. Can you imagine what THAT would cost? SO, since Nev R Lube's are never going to be available at "Joe's on the Highway Trailer Repair" -- I am carrying an extra cartridge with me, "just in case" -- because if one of the 4 decides to go South, I can't imagine waiting x number of days for a replacement to show up. I told Kodiak that their decision to no longer supply swappable discs for those of us with Nev R Lube bearings means they have eliminated anyone with one of the longer AS trailers from buying disc brakes and all the attendant parts from them -- and that's about $2,500 retail.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote