I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. After repacking our bearings two weeks ago, I wasn't impressed with how the trailer's brakes were working on our trip last weekend (they were working, but not that well - I upped the voltage on the brake controller but they still weren't where I liked it), so I searched around and found this thread on adjusting them. Ours do not have the self-adjusters.
When I repacked the bearings, I discovered the spring and adjuster for one wheel just laying in there. There was no damage, so I put it all back together, but I never adjusted that wheel, so, in all likelihood, the issue with the brakes was that only three wheels were doing anything, and those three should have been a little tighter, too. We're taking it on a trip tomorrow night, and I can't wait to see how they work now.
I was able to do the job in under an hour, for all four wheels, and most of that time was spent jacking it up, getting it on stands, and putting it back down - the actual adjustment only took a few minutes per wheel. Next year I'll do it when I repack bearings again!
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel
Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab