Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
All good posts and I understand you have a budget and maybe a limited amount of funds to do this move, SO you need to ask yourself some serious questions.....

Do you really have the funds and skill set to replace axles and replace all brakes, repair frame and outriggers from rust, redo electrical 12volt as the grounds are probably bad and the trailer lights won't work; plumbing to modern standards, possibly repair or replace subfloor and a host of other possible problems. You will also need to purchase a tow vehicle if you wish to use the trailer after the renovation. The list goes on, can be endless, and it costs a lot of money. OR.....

Decide the trailer is better off where it is and sell it as is to someone who as you may have, just wants to use it in the summer at that spot. Take the funds and if you decide to, puchase a trailer in better condition and already a runner.

If you have limited knowledge, skill set and funds, option 2 would be a far better bet than possibly sinking a lot of time and money into a money and time pit of frustration. The internet is full of gutted Airstream trailer projects just waiting for someone to add their personal touches that were heaved out of campgrounds.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Safe way is to call a tow company and have it loaded on a flat bed tow truck and give them your address. If something goes wrong its insured, you don't have to get new tags, you may be able to upgrade your AAA to RV coverage for a small charge and have it towed by just showing you AAA card. I have 300 mile coverage on mine.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I agree with the full backing plate package; under $400 for complete new brake system; 4 bolts each wheel and two wire nuts and your done...problem may be that you can't get them for your '72 AS. You may be able to get the drums skimmed to get rid of out of round and corrosion, or else they will need replacing. After that you have new dependable brakes. I would guess that you will need new axles. Might be good to check if the backing plates are compatible with new axles first. Pretty sure you can run on the original suspension to get home; it will just be harsh since the rubber will have hardened
BTW I usually run one wheel up on blocks to free the other for removal. nrgtrakr is right. You probably need 4 tons of jack for one side. I couldn't budge my '89 with a 3 ton dolly. This requires two lifts per side however
Good luck and be careful

JCW
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I lifted one side with a 4 ton floor jack, put 6 ton jack stands under it, lifted the other side and two more 6 ton jack stands - its up in the air now - two lifts total.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Jeeze! You Guys are overthinking this outrageously! Go up there, get some spray penetrating oil and some WD 40. Shoot the wheel lugs and the coupler. Let em set while you get some replacement tires and a place to install them. Come back and jack the trailer up, pull the wheels and grease the bearings. Take the wheel/tires to the shop and have the replacements installed. Go back to the trailer and install them. It is a 22 ft Safari for Gods sake....forget the brakes and the controller and hitch. Hook it up and install some 10 dollar temp lighting. Go,home.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Hahahaa!!! When I first hooked up to mine the lights didn't work, so I used hand and arm signals. Miraculously 40 miles from home when it started raining the lights started working.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
We bought a 66 Overlander in Fl last week end and made the trip back this past weekend to pick her up..We took magnetic lights but didn't need them. Grease for the bearings but we just packed in what we could without removing wheels We aired the tires but one kept loosing air...nearest tire shop was a couple of miles away so we hooked up and arrived there on 3 wheels 4 New ST tires later ($368) we made the trip home.. I'm with Melody Ranch
Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Jeeze! You Guys are overthinking this outrageously! Go up there, get some spray penetrating oil and some WD 40. Shoot the wheel lugs and the coupler. Let em set while you get some replacement tires and a place to install them. Come back and jack the trailer up, pull the wheels and grease the bearings. Take the wheel/tires to the shop and have the replacements installed. Go back to the trailer and install them. It is a 22 ft Safari for Gods sake....forget the brakes and the controller and hitch. Hook it up and install some 10 dollar temp lighting. Go,home.

Yep.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote