Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Tempe , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to PunkZTT
Breakaway Switch

In my trailer I have a battery disconnect switch. If I turn the switch on (so that nothing electric will work) will the trailer brakes activate if the switch is triggered while towing? I store my trailer in a parking lot down the street that has a lot of kids walking by after school. I have been taking out my breakaway pin because I didn't want it to get stolen or such. I have read that this will burn up your brake magnets. I took the trailer out last weekend and the brakes worked perfectly fine. The battery had a full charge too! SO my guess is that pulling the pin doesn't do anything unless you have the battery disconnect switch in the cabin turned off. (so that power goes to the trailer).

Any thoughts on this? I have a 03' 22ft CCD
Thanks
PunkZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
PunkZTT,

From looking at the schematic, the breakaway switch should operate regardless of the battery disconnect switch.

Here is the schematic, see page 17.
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...UAL%202003.pdf
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Tempe , Arizona
Yeah I guess the disconnect only turns off power to the distribution panel. Everything else stays live. What would explain the full charge on my battery? If the brakes were engaged for weeks at a time they would surely have drained the trailer battery.

2005 Nissan Frontier LE CrewCab 4.0 V6
Old 04-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Have you tried moving the trailer with the breakaway pin pulled out? Maybe the switch is defective, or you have a broken wire somewhere. Also check that the breaker is ok.

Some "authorities" say you're not supposed to have a breaker in the brake line, but if Airstream puts one there, who am I to argue.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
breakaway switch

I was told by the tech at the dealer, that in order for my breakaway switch to activate my bakes the main power needs to be on. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram as yet to verify that claim
2006 Classic 31

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The breakaway switch should be directly connected to the T/T's battery and NOT routed thru any other switching device as a safety measure. I believe that the tech's advise was ill-advised and your wiring diagram for the switch should show this. I'll check the wiring on my 19CCD and report the findings over the week end.

If there IS a circuit breaker in the line, it should be the auto-reset type that will continually cycle on-off allowing the trailer brakes to still operate, even though they will not be at full efficiency.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
yo!!! What you say????

It's my understanding that the break away switch is wired straight from the battery ( at least our 04 is ) and not connected to the main wiring system. I'd have to check, but I think it is protected by a 30 amp?? fuse on the line coming from the battery. In fact if I remember, I had to put something over the wire, as the Lp tank cover was pressing down on it. You may have a problem if you have pulled the pin and left it out. First I'd check for a line fuse and then I'd have the brakes and wiring to them checked.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You guys do whatever suits ya.

If you have a fire and the insurance adjuster finds you disabled or modified the original wiring, maybe the experts that say you shouldn't have a breaker in the line will come to your defense.

All the schematics I've seen on the Airstream website clearly show a 20 amp breaker between the battery and the breakaway switch.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Smile Well I said I wasn't sure

Mark ---I'm not for sure, but you may be correct on the 20amp fuse. Whatever size A/S installed, is still there. I found the Lp cover was smashing the wire, so I put a covering (insulator) over the wire to avoid a short. Preventive maintenance I think they call it.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello eveyone,

That break away switch needs to be energized by the trailer battery so if comes unhitched in transit or breaks away the brakes energize as the pin pulls out and the unbilical will be ripped out also ,so it has to be energized at the trailer. The prodigy brake controller is supposed to be damaged if the pin gets pulled when hitched and connected to the tow vehical ,which bothers me .Lews got it right,should not be controlled by a main power circuit in the trailer .Horse trailers are the same way and have a small battery just to apply the brakes ,installed in the front compartment area or in a little mounting box on the side of the tongue.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm gonna try to steer this back to the original problem.

punk is worried about kids yanking out his break away. a simple solution would be to get a spare break away cable, then cut off the cable leaving just the pin.

at that point you can just insert the pin, you would need a pliers to remove it. but a person passing by would not be tempted yo yank it out!

john
Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Tempe , Arizona
Yeah the whole thing is a confusing mess. I found people saying that it will wear out the magnets on the brakes and drain your batteries. When I hooked it up the other day, the trailer brakes worked perfect and the battery had a full charge. The schematic doesn't show any sort of specific 12 volt battery used for the brakes only. I guess I will have to try pulling it with the switch out and not hooked up to the tow vehicle. If the brakes engage then I know that having the pin out for extended periods of time might not cause problems. If the brakes don't engage, then I know that I screwed things up royally! I am not an expert on this but perhaps all that happens when you pull the switch is the brakes engage and then they take no additional battery power to stay on. I know the magnets are controlled with electricity but perhaps in the event of a breakaway they just engage fully and stick to the rotors without any further electrification/draining of power.
Are there any brake experts here!?

2005 Nissan Frontier LE CrewCab 4.0 V6
Old 04-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
if everything is working correctly pulling the pin WILL drain your battery and possibly destroy your magnets and or damage your spindles.

don't ask me how i know this but lets just say a guy with a errant weed whacker cost me a lot of money!

my best guess it that the first time you left it with the pin out you blew the fuse.

might be time to have the brake system looked at by a professional.

john
Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
You guys do whatever suits ya.

If you have a fire and the insurance adjuster finds you disabled or modified the original wiring, maybe the experts that say you shouldn't have a breaker in the line will come to your defense.

All the schematics I've seen on the Airstream website clearly show a 20 amp breaker between the battery and the breakaway switch.
Mark,

You are right about the breaker, but it should be the auto-reset type ONLY.......not an ordinary breaker. The auto-reset breaker will protect the circuit while still allowing the current from the battery to energize the brakes in an emergency stop caused a disconnect. If a fuse or ordinary type breaker is used and opens the circuit, there is no possibility of getting the brakes to work on a disconnect.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Lew,

Thanks for the info. The breaker that Airstream uses is a Type 2 reset. That's a non-cycling type.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Lew,

Thanks for the info. The breaker that Airstream uses is a Type 2 reset. That's a non-cycling type.
No Charge!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Per a post by Andy with Inland RV pulling the pin will cause damage to the brakes in a matter of seconds.

Silver 67

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Godzilla beat Mothra!!

Beth -

No need to take 'statements' completely literaly.

'Dose of salt' 'might' 'apply'....

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
beth and axel,

andy's comment about damage to brakes specially applies to older trailers with the very small spindles.

the heat from the brakes can detemper the spindles causing them to fail.

modern trailers with larger spindles are not as likely to be damaged...that's not to say it couldn't happen.

john
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
So how about new ones with disc brakes and the "power pack" hydraulic pump? The instruction tell you to pull the pin before each trip (I think) to check the function of the switch.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote