Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
_

. , .
link fix...

sorry vernon,

the link provided previously is buggered...

so here they are individually...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...nts-41528.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ars-36426.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ain-16122.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...html#post57362

obviously provided as reference only, and to fill the gaps with info that others have generously offered...

I THINK IT IS GOOD PRACTICE, which is why it's done, and without presuming any story is complete, ever in any thread.

this thinking is void where prohibited or where ingrown regimes pinch yer toes...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
allowing the tongue to drag and help stop the whole rig without separating
Drag at the tongue would tend to be unstable. You want the drag on a trailer as far aft as possible so that the drag is pulling the trailer to a stop rather than pushing it.

Keeping the tongue off the road also reduces damage to both the trailer and the road.

By this reasoning, the breakaway switch is a third level of failsafe. Individual preferences may differ.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Breakaway cable length

I agree with all the reasoning above. Search on the internet provided little clear evidence on length of breakaway cable. It may be obvious why Reese and Equalizer websites don't address length of this critical emergency component.

Fred Ettline (Phred Sez) in WBCCI's Blue Beret May 20 2006, (I think) provides reasonable rationale for keeping the breakaway switch cable longer than the safety chains. He says to keep the cable long enough that you have lost the chains and the electrical connection and therefore are not in control. Then the breakaway switch is the last safety device. Makes sense to me, and what I was taught to practice by the really old timers in our local WBCCI unit (yeah, the million miler guys, you know). But I think each of us must decide for self.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Leipper,
Do you have a picture of your rig with the "short" chains supporting the tongue?

Just how short do the chains have to be to keep the tongue from dragging?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Is the break away switch working off of trailer battery power or?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Site Team

, Minnesota
It needs a battery separate from the tow vehicle. Otherwise as soon as the umbilical connection is broken the breakaway switch becomes useless.

Most people use the main battery in the trailer, but if you buy a little 5ah battery it will work fine, and the battery will probably drain down before it can fry the brake magnets.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Just how short do the chains have to be to keep the tongue from dragging
I sure hope I didn't give the impression I run around with the tongue on chains rather than properly connected.

Here's a picture of a setup where I think the chains are too loose - see Adjusting your Hitch -- as for one with a better setup, I'll have to look around to see if I can find one.

The key, I think, is to get them as short as you can without having them bind when cornering or traversing gutters. I don't think you need to get too fussy, but then they should not be sloppy loose, especially to the point of dragging on the ground at the slightest provocation as many seem to be.

On my hitch (I know I have a pic around here somewhere, but where?) The ball mount is on a adjustable bracket that sticks a couple of inches below the ball mount. My chains cross under the ball and run alongside the bracket. I'd think that having the crossover point an inch or two under the ball should allow sufficient leeway in most situations but adjustments will vary for different situations.

For batteries, I note that many cargo trailers intended to carry a ton or more will have a lantern battery in a box for their brakes - you can find these setups in most automotive stores. On my trailer, the front jack uses the same circuit and is on a self resetting circuit breaker.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
This seems to work..

Always kept the chains as short as possible without binding. The breakaway cable secured inside the TV. This is how we've run since installing the haha.
Some have said the stainless links are not the way to go if you need to lengthen your chains. But take a look at how they are welded to your tongue, plan to make an improvement there for sure.

Stream safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	66173  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote