Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

2007 Base Camp
Port Orford , Oregon
Breakaway cable length?

I made a rookie move, unhitched on a slight slope with only one wheel double chocked. The safety chains were still attached so the trailer stopped
swinging in short order... but the eye of the breakaway cable at the hook end
pulled out (did not pull the switch for the brake), we were on a trip so tied
a bowline and taped it up. Now I want to replace the cable (i know what the original length is) but, is there a rule of thumb for the ratio between the chain and the cable? I just bought a smaller Nissan 4x4 to tow the BaseCamp and the chains/cable dangle closer to the ground and considering shortening them for rough terrain.
oceantribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While somewhat debated, I am of the feeling that the cable needs to be long enough to not pull out until the trailer has completely seperated from the tow vehicle, meaning safety chains broken also. The cable should NOT be attached to the hitch, but instead elsewhere on the vehicle.

If your chains are crossed and something happens the tongue should drop onto the chains and allow you to make a safe stop. It is not desirable to have the brakes come full on if this happens.
I loop my excess cable with a tie wrap. The loop will pull out under stress

Fortunately I have never put any of this to th test in the real world
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You want the brakes to be applied if the trailer becomes un-hitched...not after the chains would break away. You would want the brakes to be applied while the chains were still giving you safety attachment.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Get those brakes engaged upon seperation so the trailer doesn't run into the tow vehicle, the chains will keep the nose from digging in but you don't want it running up under the tow vehicle - especially if you are heading downhill...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Get those brakes engaged upon seperation so the trailer doesn't run into the tow vehicle, the chains will keep the nose from digging in but you don't want it running up under the tow vehicle - especially if you are heading downhill...
I think that is why there is debate.
In my mind the purpose of break away is just that. You do not want a situation where the brakes Lock and slam the trailer against the chains. Particularly going uphill. If going downhill the trailer will only go under the tv a short way, being stopped by the jack post and a controlled stop should still be possible as long as the umbilical cord is still attached.

The real purpose of the breakaway is to stop the trailer as quickly as possible if it becomes separated from the TV to protect Those near you.

This has been much debated over the years.. The Current WBCCI safety guy agrees with me on this question but before his time the previous guy recommended a short cable.
There is probably some validity to both arguments.
If the brakes were to come on gently instead of full on I would probably move into the other camp

Just to muddy the debate more, There are NO safety chains on 5th wheel trailers, only a breakaway switch
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I am in the longer cable camp. I don't want full trailer brakes applied unless the trailer is fully disengaged from the tow vehicle.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I am in the longer cable camp. I don't want full trailer brakes applied unless the trailer is fully disengaged from the tow vehicle.
That's me too.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I agree with you Guys on this....basically. However, I don't want a free wheeling Airstream, still attached to the truck by chains, and no way of applying brakes to keep it back away from the vehicle. This is where the hook up acts as a system....the length of the break away for the brakes, the length of the electrical umbilical and the length of the chains. I guess the length of the break away should be long enough to activate only when the length of the umbilical is exceeded and you loose manual brake control.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I agree with you Guys on this....basically. However, I don't want a free wheeling Airstream, still attached to the truck by chains, and no way of applying brakes to keep it back away from the vehicle. This is where the hook up acts as a system....the length of the break away for the brakes, the length of the electrical umbilical and the length of the chains. I guess the length of the break away should be long enough to activate only when the length of the umbilical is exceeded and you loose manual brake control.
Utilize the manual switch on the controller lightly to create tension on the chains and roll slowly to a stop.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Utilize the manual switch on the controller lightly to create tension on the chains and roll slowly to a stop.

I'm gonna assume that if the trailer has fallen off of the hitch and is being supported by the chains that there may also be a good chance the brake controller is no longer hooked up to the trailer...

IF IT DID NOT - then I too would manually slow the trailer down and pull over.....

And WoW - I did not know that the 5th wheelers had no type of chain!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
I'm gonna assume that if the trailer has fallen off of the hitch and is being supported by the chains that there may also be a good chance the brake controller is no longer hooked up to the trailer...

IF IT DID NOT - then I too would manually slow the trailer down and pull over.....

And WoW - I did not know that the 5th wheelers had no type of chain!
My umbilical is plenty long enough to stay connected if the tongue falls to the chains. I am always careful to route it so there would be a minimum of fouling if something happened. I guess, if it did come out, I would suggest (like in most emergency situations) don't panic and hit the brakes. I would suggest coasting to a stop or lightly applying TV brakes.
The worst that can happen, if you keep your head is a damaged bumper, tailgate, maybe a jack, coupler latch and bottle cover. Considering the potential alternative, that's cheap.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My umbilical is plenty long enough to stay connected if the tongue falls to the chains. I am always careful to route it so there would be a minimum of fouling if something happened. I guess, if it did come out, I would suggest (like in most emergency situations) don't panic and hit the brakes. I would suggest coasting to a stop or lightly applying TV brakes.
The worst that can happen, if you keep your head is a damaged bumper, tailgate, maybe a jack, coupler latch and bottle cover. Considering the potential alternative, that's cheap.
DITTO. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
On the brighter side, I worked for a transporter for a number of years towing new units to dealers. This gave me an opportunity to talk with lots of drivers with many hundreds of thousands of towing miles behind them.. I have never met anyone who had suffered a trailer separation so it does not happen very often.
Regardless of what length you make the cable, check every now and then that it will work when pulled.
What I have seen a few times is someone hook up a fifth wheel and trap the break away cable between the hitch plates. The first time they made a sharp turn the cable would pull and lock the brakes
99 Dodge TD 577K miles