Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Break Away Switch and Lanyard Question

The break away switch lanyard on my Argosy was severed when I purchased the trailer. The loop is still in the plunger but no cable beyond the cable clamp that makes the loop. After reading the threads about break away switches, I am almost afraid to touch mine for fear of inadvertantly damaging the brakes.If I pull on the plunger, it pops out about 3/16 of an inch with a click. Is this the energized position or does the plunger have to be pulled all the way out-clear of the switch to apply the brakes? I intend to purchase a new plunger with lanyard attached. How does the plunger come out of the switch for replacement? Do I just disconenect the battery and pull it out? Are there relacement cables availabe that do not have the plunger attached? Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
roger

the plug needs to be pulled all the way out to energize the brakes.

do yourself a favor and just replace the whole unit. just about every break away switch i have seen on older trailers fails to close the contacts when the lanyard is pulled.

the switch is an inexpensive item, usually around 15 bucks. a new lanyard will be included.

to replace it do just as you suggested, disconnect the battery and change the switch. there are only 2 wires and it does not matter which one gets hooked to the trailer.

also, when you attach your trailer to your tow vehicle do not plug the umbilical cord in until you have attached the lanyard. pulling the plug on the break away may damage your break controller if it is plugged in.

john
Old 06-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
John

Thanks, I'm not sure if the switch is original. Wiring connectors would indicate that it may not be, but everything has been sprayed brown. I think I'll take your advice and get a new switch.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Well I'm looking for a project....

When is a good time to replace the brakeaway switch? How long do they last and should I be concerned if my streams is 15 years old? From the above post it looks like now would be the time to replace it seeing how I have the batteries out and all.... Or as the saying goes if it's not broken don't try fix it. What do you think?..Thx
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda

When is a good time to replace the brakeaway switch? How long do they last and should I be concerned if my streams is 15 years old? From the above post it looks like now would be the time to replace it seeing how I have the batteries out and all.... Or as the saying goes if it's not broken don't try fix it. What do you think?..Thx
Enduroryda,
You can test the switch to see if works or not. With the batteries disconected use a volt/ohm meter. With the wires disconnected and the pin in place you should get no reading across it, when you pull the plunger you should get a reading of 1 or very close to it. As inexpensive as they are I would just figure on replacement.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda

Sounds like now is a good time to replace it. Low cost, easy to do and big rewards. I hope you never have to use it...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Thanks wahoonc & azflycaster....

Napa -- $8.99 Tekonsha breakaway switch installed.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote