Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool Brakes Or No Brakes

I'm sure I could find this info from reading past threads, but just got a bit of time right now - thought I'd throw this out here. My "new" 62 Safari is in the shop - asked the man to check out the bearings and brakes. He said bearings are good but there is an "old hydraulic brake system" that is osbsolete - he's recomending complete axle brake upgrade eventually.

Good idea for sure, however, my questions are: Was this really a brake system that worked with the tow vehicle? Or was it just a parking brake system? I suspect it was the latter as there was an old master cylinder type device on the tongue with a single brake line going from it to the rear. If that's the case, am I correct in concluding that my 62 Safari did not come with brakes that "talked to" the tow vehicle? Thanks.
62safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Your Safari most likely had hydraulic brakes operated from the tow vehicle system. That required a hydraulic line tapped into the vehicle brake line and a hose from the rear of the vehicle to the device you found on the trailer. There should be a two-lever squeeze handle on that device for connecting/disconnecting the hydraulic line from the tow vehicle (unless it's rusted or broken off). Get rid of the hydraulic brakes. Considering the age and weight of your trailer, you would be well advised to replace the axel with one that includes 12" electric drum brakes. You may consider increasing the load capacity of the axel just a bit since the original was "just enough" to carry the trailer and minimal gear. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Are they "surge brakes"?

More than likely they are "surge brakes". Look at the hitch. does it ride back on the tongue with slots on each side? If so, there is a piston inside and when you brake your vehicle it causes the weight of the trailer to push on the piston which in turn exerts hydraulic pressure which in turn applys the brakes. I have a similar system on a tow dolly and it works great. I would just rebuild that system if that is what you have.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thumbs up That's The Brakes

Thanks Darol and Thanks Jim. Don't think they're surge as there is nothing under the tongue at hitch except the standard clasp/lever arrangement. I'll look into it further when I go to the shop. Thanks again to both of you.
62safari is offline   Reply With Quote