Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Avoca , Wisconsin
Brakes lock up in reverse!!??

Hi, I have seen a couple of discussions which touch on parts of my dilema, but I still need some help. I aquired a down and out 1968 22' Safari recently. Before I pulled it very far I had my local rv shop peek at the running gear to give me some clarity. They said original breaks had life left, and were functional with the replacement of the pigtail. Now all the lights function as they are supposed to, with the exception of the back-up lights. And when driving I can push the button on my break controller and feel the trailer brakes lock equally. However, when I put the sucker in reverse, it is totally locked up. If I unplug the pigtail from the TV, no problem backing up. I am worried I have no breakes forward however. I speculate that the tech wired the aux/back-up to the yellow break cable, but why then can I manually toggle from the controller? Weird, if anyone can shed light on this I'd be much appreciative. Thanks Krome
bkrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Your backup lights is what releases your breaks to back up by sending power to your celluniod or it should.

This means your back up lights/wires are not working for some reason or at least they are not sending a current to move your cellunoid that should be located on your trailer that releases your brakes.

It also could be a bad cellunoid but most likely lack of current.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrome View Post
Hi, I have seen a couple of discussions which touch on parts of my dilema, but I still need some help. I aquired a down and out 1968 22' Safari recently. Before I pulled it very far I had my local rv shop peek at the running gear to give me some clarity. They said original breaks had life left, and were functional with the replacement of the pigtail. Now all the lights function as they are supposed to, with the exception of the back-up lights. And when driving I can push the button on my break controller and feel the trailer brakes lock equally. However, when I put the sucker in reverse, it is totally locked up. If I unplug the pigtail from the TV, no problem backing up. I am worried I have no breakes forward however. I speculate that the tech wired the aux/back-up to the yellow break cable, but why then can I manually toggle from the controller? Weird, if anyone can shed light on this I'd be much appreciative. Thanks Krome
Could be a matter of the backup wire, or a strand of it, possibly touching the brake wire within the connector.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
Your backup lights is what releases your breaks to back up by sending power to your celluniod or it should.

This means your back up lights/wires are not working for some reason or at least they are not sending a current to move your cellunoid that should be located on your trailer that releases your brakes.

It also could be a bad cellunoid but most likely lack of current.

Robbie R.
I think that only applies to surge brakes.
I would guess there are 2 feeds to the brakes,the bu lights and the brake wire. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You are wired up wrong.

Check out this site for the correct connections.

Marksrv.com 7 way wiring diagram page

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Avoca , Wisconsin
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am going to start by checking if the aux line (yellow)from the TV is hooked to the brake line AS(yellow). From Marks RV diagram it appears blue is the modern designated color for brakes, and yellow for aux/back-up. Hopefully this will give me breaks going forward, and none in reverse. I'll post on the success/failure of this attempt. Again thanks all Krome
Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Note that earlier trailer's pigtails were wired different than standard. Unless you have rewired accordingly your TV may be sending to the wrong connection.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Avoca , Wisconsin
solved and thank you

OK , I moved three wires, the aux/back-up lights, the brakes, and the trailer battery charge line. It seems these are what is different between old AS wiring color codes, and more modern color codes. I have not had time for a road test, but in my driveway, I got all lights, and was able to back up with no brake lock ups, so success I hope. Perhaps this weekend I'll get a road test in. Thank you all for your aid, would have been pretty frustrating otherwise. Krome