Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

1984 27' Sovereign
Drummond , Wisconsin
Brakes

I own a 1984 Sovereign that I bought used in 1999. After driving it for 4 or 5 years, a mechanic that was packing the bearings told me the brakes had been disconnected, and that he didn't see why, so he reconnected them. Ever since, they have randomly locked up, especially on freeways, which we use a lot going cross-country. I have learned how to cut the wires myself to avoid tire damage. We had a certified Airstream dealer rewire the entire trailer braking system (there was a lot to damage to insulation from mice in our north woods), and he also installed a brand new controller in our Suburban. We drove it about 30-50 miles to our winter storage yard, and everything was working fine, including on freeways. We got it out of storage in the spring (4-5 months later), drove it ok on the local roads, but the brakes froze up again as soon as we went up on the freeway! Help! This sound familiar to anybody? hskingdon@aol.com

Old 05-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
What did he find when he rewired the brakes for trailer were mice chewing the wires ?
If that was the case first time It might be some of the same if your visiters never left or came back. The other thing could be a short in wire at the wheel hub where the wire feeds through the wheel . I say this because all the wiring was new from wheels back done by a airstream mechanic. I forgot the ask which wheels lock all of them or just one or two?

Oh and welcome to ASF you came to rite place....

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hskingdon View Post
I own a 1984 Sovereign that I bought used in 1999. After driving it for 4 or 5 years, a mechanic that was packing the bearings told me the brakes had been disconnected, and that he didn't see why, so he reconnected them. Ever since, they have randomly locked up, especially on freeways, which we use a lot going cross-country. I have learned how to cut the wires myself to avoid tire damage. We had a certified Airstream dealer rewire the entire trailer braking system (there was a lot to damage to insulation from mice in our north woods), and he also installed a brand new controller in our Suburban. We drove it about 30-50 miles to our winter storage yard, and everything was working fine, including on freeways. We got it out of storage in the spring (4-5 months later), drove it ok on the local roads, but the brakes froze up again as soon as we went up on the freeway! Help! This sound familiar to anybody? hskingdon@aol.com
Once electric brakes have been in service, the armature plate and drum have a tendency to rust when not in service for a period of time.

When that happens, the first few applications of the brakes, can cause a lock up. Once the rust is worn away, the brakes return to normal. Not to worry.

It might also be wise, to check the backing plates to make sure everything is as it's supposed to be.

With a trailer that old, the adjuster springs, which are cheap, should all be replaced. They do have a large failure rate, the older they are. When one breaks it can cause expensive repairs, up to and including damage to the axle.

Andy