Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Brake wires cut on new Classic

I bought a very lightly used 31' Classic and discovered that the brake wires on the front axle had been cut. They were not broken or damaged. The wires had a clean cut and the wires that should have supplied power to the brakes were taped over to prevent shorting out. The previous owner says he didn't know who might have cut them, or why.

I reattached the wires, and the brakes work fine.

Does anyone have any idea why on earth someone would want to cut the braking power in half?

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
I know I have repaired wire breaks several times on mine. The breaks looked clean but I don't think anyone actually cut them. I don't have a good explanation though.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
I know I have repaired wire breaks several times on mine. The breaks looked clean but I don't think anyone actually cut them. I don't have a good explanation though.
Thanks for the reply.

This trailer was towed from Jackson Center to Ontario then to Florida before I purchased it. And, the wires were taped over, so no chance this was an accident.

For what it's worth, the TV being used was a mini-SUV. My thoughts are that whoever set up the hitch system, cut the wires to prevent wheel lock-up to keep the trailer from fishtailing causing the TV to lose control?

That is the only scenario I can think of.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
If they were cut, I would think it more likely that some spiteful person did in retaliation for some apparent offense. Sad to actually say that.

There's no common sense reason to intentionally cut the wires for better towing or handling.

2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I don't think a spiteful person would tape over the wire ends.

My guess is someone who had no idea how to use an electric brake controller was experiencing trailer wheel lock up and chose to solve the problem in their own dysfunctional, "there, that will never happen again!" way.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Since they were cut and taped I assume the person that did it had some knowledge of electric and maybe the brakes. Now that said why would they do it?

If there was a problem with the TV brake controller be current limited that would have produced a situation where not enough current was getting to all 4 brakes to make any effective stopping power. By cutting the wire and reducing the brakes to 2 that current applied to those 2 brakes would be doubled and thus giving greater stopping power. Braking application is not a linear function of current applied.

Now that you have reattached the wires I would jack up each side and while someone can manually apply the brakes spin each wheel and have them hit the manual control full on. The wheel should slam to a stop.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wouldn't want to tow a big heavy trailer like the Airstream with no brakes at all. That sounds silly.

My tandem car trailer only has brakes on the rear axle. I like that a lot, even when towing a car on it. I have better control of the trailer than my Haulmark enclosed trailer that has brakes on both axles. With that said, I have no intention of cutting the brake wires to the front axle on the Haulmark. I don't use anti sway on either trailer and don't ever intend to. The only sway I've ever gotten is on ice and a tap on the trailer brake straightens the trailer right up.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
I have noticed that at slow speed 'panic' stops (city driving and someone pulls out in front) will lock all four and burn a little rubber. But, for real panic stops at higher speeds I get great braking control. TV is Ford F250 with integral controller. I leave the control set at 9.5

Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
I have noticed that at slow speed 'panic' stops (city driving and someone pulls out in front) will lock all four and burn a little rubber. But, for real panic stops at higher speeds I get great braking control. TV is Ford F250 with integral controller. I leave the control set at 9.5
Most brake controller suggest to set up the controller.
Drive at 25 on a paved road and put full power via the manual to the brakes.

If they lock back off a bit and try again. Do this till they do not lock.

If they don't lock increase the power till they do and then back off to the last set point.

Trailer brakes should never lock while towing. Locked trailer brakes will cause the trailer to come around and kiss you where do don't want to be kissed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mine appeared cut when in fact they broke inside the "crimp" connectors. Both WIRES!

They are now soldered and properly heat shrinked.

I wonder it the AS "kwality" team missed that inspection point? Nah, nevuh..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While I was in Florida this winter I found the wires to one brake were clean cut about an inch from where they come through the backing plate.

I suspect rodents as several people in the forest service campgrounds had problems with critters under the hood.

The only reason I found it is I will check hub temps with an infrared thermometer from time to time and this wheel was cooler than the rest

I have had breaks caused by corrosion in the past but this cut looked like it had been done with a cutter.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Pack rats will cut through wires and it looks like it was done with a good set of wire cutters, but they don't tape the ends.

Corrosion of the wire connections is very common after a few years and they break off at the crimp, especially if you live in an area which uses salt on the roads in the winter, or a coastal area.

I prefer either a silicone filled crimp connection or solder and shrink wrap. They also make silicone filled wire nuts which remain well sealed. The silicone is not stuff which hardens. You can find them at Home Depot and many full line hardware stores.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
I don't think a spiteful person would tape over the wire ends.
Somehow, I missed the "taped over" part.

2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My guess is some one wanted only rear axle breaking and cut the front. However if the fronts were connected with wire nuts then a disconnection at that point would make more sense.

Some only want rear axle breaking.

>>>>Action
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
My best guess is that someone was trying to troubleshoot an intermittent electrical problem in the brakes and disconnected the wires to try to isolate the problem. Then, due to either apathy or forgetfulness, they didn't connect them again.