Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
brake wires broken in hub

I found the wires to the magnets on both sides of my 16' Bambi were broken about an inch from the magnet. It appears to be where they were clipped to the actuating lever. Due to the space I'm just using a crimped butt connector to reattach them. My question is: Should I reclip them to the actuating lever or was that the cause of the broken wire? Brake fade on a steep and windy road is what made me look. Fortunately the road was not busy and I could creep down in low. (Hwy 1 to Fort Bragg, CA). Also, what do you think about no clip on the magnet? An Airstream service person told me over the phone to just use a rubber band to hold the magnet in place to get the drum back on. Thanks for any input. Jamie

Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You want to clip the wires to the arm. You just want to make sure the arm can move freely without causing the wires to pull and break. Before putting the drum on swing the are to the rear and check the wires at that point. You will be able to move the arm more than it will ever move within the drum and that should give you a good indication you have enough slack in the wires.

As for using a rubber band to hold the magnets before installing the drums I have to say I might agree with you mechanic. While I have never installed brakes without the clip that limits the spring travel I would consider it in the future. The reason I say this is the cheap Chinese magnets now used give off dust that will act as cement and bind the magnet to the arm limiting the total travel of the magnet and in time you will lose all brakes. The rubber band will break on the first application of the brakes and fall off.

I had this problem 2 years ago when I lost all 6 brakes on the way to Fl. Pulled the drums and found the magnets cemented in place by the dust. The removal of the clip might keep this from happening again as there would be more clearance between the magnet and the arm.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
While its probably overkill, I would solder the broken wires together and seal them with a couple strips of heat shrink tubing. I try to twist the wires together in a manner that gives a nice smooth joint. Electrically as good as new and you never have to think about it again. Leaving the clip off is kind of questionable to me. If the manufacturer could eliminate it to save a penny, you know they would. But all the clip does is keep the magnet in place when the drums off anyway.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Never solder any wire that is in a flexing environment.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote