Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by JBK
Thanks again. One question; are there two lines, one a hard and one a hose, or is the supply line a hose and there is only one? I just peeked and didn't see a hard line, but then again, I didn't jack it up to get a good look. I will be replacing the hose tomorrow.

You should have steel lines running to a point on the framenear the mount for the upper control arm, where it attaches to the brake hose. You will have this on both sides. Make sure you replace the copper washers on the caliper end of the hose. Used washers can leak, causing a low pedal and fluid loss. The end of the hose at the frame has a spring clip that holds it in a bracket to keep it from getting entangled in the wheels/rotors. You can usually get the clip off with a small flathead screwdriver, and put it back on by shoving it on with a pair of pliers.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
O-K, so it is one HOSE going to the brake instead of a solid line. Why do they use a hose rather than a line like in other applications? Never mind, it is for flexibility with the steering wheels. DUH.
Thanks again.

86' 345 MH. Named "AirBus". The wife and I finally agree.
JBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #17
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
If I remember correctly the brake hoses are different left to right. Make sure your parts guy gets the rights one. Also, make sure the surface of the caliper is very clean when you install the new washers. I had a hard time curing a leak on my "new" passenger side brake line until I removed it and found a speck of dirt under the washer.

Also, make sure you bleed the brake lines well. This is a good time to invest in a vacuum bleeder and purge all of the old brake fluid from the lines. Ideally you should do this on the rear system as well.

There are some threads on how to do this on a motorhome. Many say you can "gravity bleed" the system, but I found the vacuum to be more effective and much faster.
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I had a problem getting hoses to fit the calipers, the holes in the ends of the hoses were too small, and would not accept the banjo bolts. It would be a good idea if you take one of the hoses with you to comparre.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree ,take the hose along, as I myself have been given the wrong hoses
for the GM motorhomes .There can be different ones for sure .The hose has about 3 to 4 " of hard line at the calipar end as you will see upon removal of hose ,just make certain they are the same as your old hoses,and replace both now .don't do the job twice ,if ones bad the other is right behind it .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

See photo to the left.

That's an Airbus.

2012 New Horizons Travel Trailer (formerly an Airstream owner)
2008 Dodge 2500 diesel with Equal-i-zer hitch.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Not having checked prices anywhere else I was thinking that the current prices at Mill Supply Index were pretty good for things like calipers and rotors. Take a look on their step van web pages.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote