Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Brake size?

I just purchased a new P3 Brake Controller and it confirmed what I already knew...Brakes shorted...I haven't had proper(or any) brakes for the last 10 -15k miles and I leave Friday for Edisto Beach/Charleston and Savannah...when I get back and before Springsteam I'm going to replace everything under it brake wise...I replaced bearings last year and adjusted brakes but its been a long haul since then...my question is what size are my brakes? do I just pull a wheel and measure the backing plate? I plan on purchasing new loaded self-adjusting backing plates probably from Inland RV...but I also want to replace the drums as I had to "retap" a few holes last time I repacked bearings..but I only see 10 inch drums on their page... I have a 1973 29ft Ambassador and any info on purchasing right parts first time would be awesome.....Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Unless someone replaced the axles and the brakes with 10" you have 12" electric drums.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I just purchased a new P3 Brake Controller and it confirmed what I already knew...Brakes shorted...I haven't had proper(or any) brakes for the last 10 -15k miles and I leave Friday for Edisto Beach/Charleston and Savannah...when I get back and before Springsteam I'm going to replace everything under it brake wise...I replaced bearings last year and adjusted brakes but its been a long haul since then...my question is what size are my brakes? do I just pull a wheel and measure the backing plate? I plan on purchasing new loaded self-adjusting backing plates probably from Inland RV...but I also want to replace the drums as I had to "retap" a few holes last time I repacked bearings..but I only see 10 inch drums on their page... I have a 1973 29ft Ambassador and any info on purchasing right parts first time would be awesome.....Thanks
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You probably have 12" x 2" sized brakes, but Andy @ Inland Rv will confirm that for you, or guide you where to look, etc...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Crawl under the trailer and count the bolts that hold the back plate to the axle. If there are 4 bolts, you have 10" brakes. If there are 5 bolts, you have 12" brakes.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Your Airstream was built using 3200 pound axles equipped with 12 inch electric brakes.

It's very easy to confirm what size brakes are on any travel trailer.

Look at the backside of the brake assembly. It is mounted on a plate that is welded to the axle spindle.

If the plate is square, with 4 bolts, then the brakes are 10 inch. If that plate is round, it will have 5 bolts, which are then 12 inch brakes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The 10" brakes on our Caravel use 5 lug wheels.

The 12" brakes on our 27' Excella use 6 lug wheels.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I have a 29ft sovereign, 1987. I have 10" brakes. I have been told that Airstream changed to 12" on the larger trailers in mid 1987.

You should be able to find a trailer manuf close to you that is a Dexter dealer.

There is no comparison size wise when you look at a 10" vs. 12". Take one of your drums off and take a couple measurements. 12" are hugh compared to 10".
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
The 10" brakes on our Caravel use 5 lug wheels.

The 12" brakes on our 27' Excella use 6 lug wheels.
Jim.

The size of the brakes has nothing to do with the number of studs or nuts that are on the drum.

The 4 lug wheels were used many many years ago on the very smallest Airstreams, but not for long.

Andy
Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have 12" brakes on my 1979 23' Safari.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post
I have a 29ft sovereign, 1987. I have 10" brakes. I have been told that Airstream changed to 12" on the larger trailers in mid 1987.

You should be able to find a trailer manuf close to you that is a Dexter dealer.

There is no comparison size wise when you look at a 10" vs. 12". Take one of your drums off and take a couple measurements. 12" are hugh compared to 10".
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Before you buy the brakes check your axles, if they need to be replaced to it would be cheaper and easier to replace all at once.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Thanks everyone....It's sitting in snow right now but I am pulling it to the beach and warmer weather tomorrow.... I'll crawl under it and count the backing plate bolts....pretty sure they are 12 inch....where do I purchase New drums?.....and about the axles....what do I look for to determine if they need replaced?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks everyone....It's sitting in snow right now but I am pulling it to the beach and warmer weather tomorrow.... I'll crawl under it and count the backing plate bolts....pretty sure they are 12 inch....where do I purchase New drums?.....and about the axles....what do I look for to determine if they need replaced?
Torsion axles, do not have a forever life.

Typically, they last ball park 25 years.

Torsion axles have rubber rods in them, that must be exercised. If not, the rubber can solidify or even get gummy. Typically, if a torsion axle has weight imposed on it, but not used for a couple of years or so, the lack of use destroys the rubber rods.

The following article will help you to check them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Torsion axles have rubber rods in them, that must be exercised. If not, the rubber can solidify or even get gummy. Typically, if a torsion axle has weight imposed on it, but not used for a couple of years or so, the lack of use destroys the rubber rods.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
If a trailer is going to sit for awhile, would simply jacking each side of the trailer up and spinning the wheels help to prevent solidification or gumminess of the rubber rods?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
If a trailer is going to sit for awhile, would simply jacking each side of the trailer up and spinning the wheels help to prevent solidification or gumminess of the rubber rods?
Yes indeed.

If a torsion axle equipped trailer is placed on jack stands so that the vast majority of weight or stress has been removed from the rubber rods, the rubber rods will stay alivefor a long long time.

Andy
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
What if only jacked up temporarily so that one could spin the wheels a few times to move the rods around, and then lowered back to the ground. Or that too negligible to accomplish anything?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
What if only jacked up temporarily so that one could spin the wheels a few times to move the rods around, and then lowered back to the ground. Or that too negligible to accomplish anything?
The rods are in the axles not the wheels, jacking up and down will move the rods, not turning the wheels.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
The rods are in the axles not the wheels, jacking up and down will move the rods, not turning the wheels.
I realized the rods were in the axles, but didn't consider that the rods do not rotate within the axle. Looking at the design though, I guess their movement is minimal. So it seems that if a trailer is to sit at a campground for awhile, taking the pressure off from time to time would help quite a bit.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I realized the rods were in the axles, but didn't consider that the wheels had no effect on moving the rods. Good point. So the rods do not rotate at all, and instead simply flex up and down with the weight of the trailer?
The rods flex when the trailer is on the road, by hitting bumps etc.

Unless the trailer is in motion, the flexing of the rods becomes almost impossible.

One way would be to jack up the trailer and then let it back down.

But to duplicate what the road will do, you would have to do that probably at least a thousand times. That would only duplicate a few miles of travel.

And of course that would only work on axles that had good rubber rods.

Andy
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
The P3 is giving me the "Brakes shorted No Brakes!" Error but it is still sending current to the brakes and they are working pretty well.....so this 1200 mile trip is going pretty well....just left Edisto Island SC and heading to Savannah for St Patricks Day.... About my axles.... I am pretty certain it has the originals under it...it pulls well...I will try to get under it soon and check them....how much are complete axles and where would I get them?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The P3 is giving me the "Brakes shorted No Brakes!" Error but it is still sending current to the brakes and they are working pretty well.....so this 1200 mile trip is going pretty well....just left Edisto Island SC and heading to Savannah for St Patricks Day.... About my axles.... I am pretty certain it has the originals under it...it pulls well....they look good...how would I even know if they need replaced?
Torsion axles don't last 40 years.

Typically about 25 years and then the rubber rods give up.

But, those rods are destroyed if they were not exercised often enough.

The following article will help you to check them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy