Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Brake repair/replacement info

I am about to put my '73 on blocks to replace the shocks (completely worthless) the brakes are not strong enough to lock up the wheels when testing the brake controller so I assume I'm going to need to take that all apart. Where is the best source of info on going through brakes? Seemed to find a lot of misc info so far. A video would be great :-)

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2themax View Post
I am about to put my '73 on blocks to replace the shocks (completely worthless) the brakes are not strong enough to lock up the wheels when testing the brake controller so I assume I'm going to need to take that all apart. Where is the best source of info on going through brakes? Seemed to find a lot of misc info so far. A video would be great :-)
Some of the original brake parts are no longer available for your trailer, unless they were updated.

The magnets on the original brakes are round, and the new style brakes have oval magnets.

Replacing the complete backing plates, costs less money than the magnets and shoes.

Also, while you at it, repack the bearings and change the grease seals to the double lip type that also have a spring in them.

Changing backing plates, is an easy task.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Your brakes could be out of adjustment with good lining material left. Or the lining may be shot and the shoes need replacing.

If you have not had the hubs and drums off in the last 12 to 24 months, then you are heading in the right direction. Remove for inspections and further action.

Lift unit and remove wheels
Remove dust cover over hub
Remove cotter pin and spindle nut with keeper
Remove hub and drum assembly

Inspect shoes for material remaining and inspect brake magnets for style and material remaining. If you need to replace shoes (and springs) along with brake magnets (especially if the magnets are of the old round style vs oval) then you are going to be effort ahead and likley money ahead by getting "fully loaded" backing plates. These will have all of the parts and the backing plates will have no wear on the raised portion that the shoes ride on. This replacement solves a lot of issues all at once.

Then all you have to do is clean, inspect and repack the wheel bearings unless there are issues with the wheel bearings. Then replace the bearings with a correct race. And machine the drum.

Re-assembly does require adjusting the wheel bearings for correct pre-load and brake shoe adjuster wheel on the bottom for a correct fit to the drum.

Don't forget a new grease seal and cotter pin!

It is a messy job, however it isn't difficult. Even most people that are willing to get dirty and have some basic mechanical talent can accomplish this task.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action