Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Brake Question

Well Summer is here, work is great, new kiddo is doing well, and the Airstream is put together enough to start taking her on a trip. Only problem is that during the last trip (last year) I heard a dragging noise and found my right brake on the 65 Globetrotter to be dragging as a part that retains the shoe was dragging on the hub.

My question is as follows:

Does my trailer have a special brake setup? Regardless of the answer, I have read the FAQ for this website and I really like the idea of turning the drums and getting a new "loaded" backing plate. Any suggestions on where, and how easy is it to install? Right now the brakes are safety wired (so that we could limp home last time) "open, and I would like to get a quick and easy fix so that we can get "Rosie" (the Airstream) out next weekend! Links and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop View Post
Well Summer is here, work is great, new kiddo is doing well, and the Airstream is put together enough to start taking her on a trip. Only problem is that during the last trip (last year) I heard a dragging noise and found my right brake on the 65 Globetrotter to be dragging as a part that retains the shoe was dragging on the hub.

My question is as follows:

Does my trailer have a special brake setup? Regardless of the answer, I have read the FAQ for this website and I really like the idea of turning the drums and getting a new "loaded" backing plate. Any suggestions on where, and how easy is it to install? Right now the brakes are safety wired (so that we could limp home last time) "open, and I would like to get a quick and easy fix so that we can get "Rosie" (the Airstream) out next weekend! Links and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
What you should do, is replace the complete backing plates. They come in left and right hand setups.

You need one of each.

Jack up one side of the trailer at a time.

To replace a backing plate, you remove the tire and wheel. Then you remove the hub and drum. Disconnect the two wires. They are not polarized, so you don't need to code them.

On the backside of the backing plate, you will see a round plate. welded to the axle spindle. There are 5 bolts that hold the backing plate in place.

Remove those bolts and the backing plates will fall off.

Reverse the process to install the new backing plates.

Pack the bearings and change the grease seals.

Reinstall the hub and drum, as per specs, and adjust the brake on that side of the trailer.

When done, reinstall the tire and wheels.

Balancing the running gear is important.

You should also replace the shocks.

Andy