Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Monica , California
brake pads/shoes

Any one know what kind of pads/shoes work with the drums on my '62 globetrotter? We've been all over the book at the autoparts store.
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
... We've been all over the book at the autoparts store.
Hi Maya,

Auto parts store, in my experience, really suck at stocking parts for any type of trailer. Your best bet is to visit an establishment which specializes in horse trailers as they have a better tendency to care about what they are doing, and will point you in the right direction if they do not carry the parts you need.

Also, I believe you are looking for parts to fit a 10" drum (as opposed to a 12" drum). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
maya

i agree with tom on this one. when you get to the trailer parts store ask for the price on loaded backing plates.

you will probably find you can buy the entire backing plate with shoes springs and magnets for less than the cost of the brake shoes if purchased seperately.

the average cost for 12 inch plates is around 50 to 60 bucks each, i'm sure the 10 inchers are less.

one other minor detail, the backing plates are right and left, have the person at the counter explain which is which and what side of the trailer they go on!

john
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
also,

what part of the country are you at? your profile is incomplete.

if you are in the middle west, the pioneer wheel and rim company is a good place to start.

john
Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Kelsey Hayes has a distributor called Axles in Indiana who will sell you direct loaded backing plates and drums if you need them. Cost is less than Dexters and about the same quality. Shipping is extra and they are pretty heavy.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Monica , California
Thanks

You all are so great!
I was wondering why none had written back then I clicked on my thread to check what I'd written and all this was there.
In the meantime I'd called airstream who were much less helpful, but told me that the originals were made by Kelsey or Casey (?) Hayes whose business was pretty much taken by Dexter.
Now I know what I'm doing. I'm going to go ahead and buy the backing plates from a trailer supplier.
Thanks again to all of you.
I guess I should try to figure out how to update my profile, but I'm writing you from what today was extremely foggy Santa Monica, CA.
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote