Brake magnets 1976 Sovereign
This last week has been my tires and brake week. While I had the wheels removed to install new tires, I took the brake drums off expecting to order new 12 x 2 Dexter Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies. I was surprised to see the brakes looked like new. No grooves in the drums and lots of lining left.
Before starting on the brakes I had removed the trailer 7 way plug and bared all the wires. When I checked the brake circuit with the multi-meter, I got a load on the circuit like there was a short. I was pretty worried that there was a short somewhere. I inspected the wires that I could see and I opened up the wheel/trailer wire connections and it all looked good.
I went ahead and replaced the grease seals, packed the bearings, buffed the drums with a 3M sandpaper/Scotchbrite wheel, set up the brakes, and put on the wheels with new tires. I read last night on a horse trailer forum that there's supposed to be a load on the brake circuit caused by the 4 magnets. The poster wrote that if there's not a load on the open brake circuit that there's something wrong.
To test it all today I jacked up one side of the trailer, hooked my big battery charger to the brake circuit, and rigged enough extension cords up to reach the wheel areas. Then I gave each wheel a spin and plugged the charger in. Bingo! They all worked.
I've learned a LOT by doing this work myself. I didn't know a thing about electric brakes before I started this. Now I know a little.