Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
This evening I managed to remove one hub, sand the brake pads to remove any glazing, clean the adjuster and lightly lube with graphite, sand the mag-drum contact patch, and repack the bearings with lucas heavy duty grease (525oF stable) after a good soak in mineral spirits to remove the other fresh grease I just used then installed new double lip seals i bought from redneck trailer supply in tampa ($2.00ea). Nothing like packing all four wheel bearings and replacing seals again every two weeks. lol

Now I have not road tested it but it seems to spin much better now and I have the mentioned slight play with the tire on. I did tighten the nut down to around 50ft-lbs and then loosened and made it finger tight at the first notch.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
hub temp info

We are at the flying J in Wytheville, va on the way to the birthday bash.
Stopped and took several hub temp readings. Some with light braking and some with the trailer brakes off thru the day
With the outside temp at 100 deg. the hubs were at 120 deg plus or minus 2
With the temp at 80 deg. the hubs were at about 100. Braking or not made little difference but I use the brakes very lightly.
Just for info when the trailer was at 120 the front truck hubs were 109, the rear 127.
My conclusion is that at summer temps the hubs run about 20 degrees above ambient.
My brakes etc are well seated, last brake/bearing work was about a year ago
The trailer is a tandwem axle weighing about 5K

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
CK21814, sounds like you were too tight and corrected the problem. The bearings like to run a smidge loose and never tight! I only snug the nut up to about 20 ft-lb and turn the wheel by hand to distribute the grease. Then back off the nut until the pin fits, Final check for a smidge of looseness. My bearings have been running less then 100F and the treads run just over 100F. Have a good trip and drive carefully!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I will use these as benchmark tempatures on my first run.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
1962 16' Bambi
Smithville , Texas
One Drum Hot - Is it the bearings?

I just pulled all 4 wheels off of my 84 31' Excella and replaced the backing plades with Dexter self adjusting brakes. I repacked all bearings and remounted everything. I took off on a 150 mile test drive this last week prior to about a 5,000 mile trip we have planned in August and September. One hub was much hotter than the other 3. I had no way of measuring but I could rest my hand on the other 3 even though I had been driving in stop and go traffic between Houston and Galveston and could not on the hot hub. I elevated the wheel off of the ground at the campground and the tire spun freely and had just a very small amount of play, no more than it should I thought but I went ahead and tightened the hub nut one more mark for the cotter pin (the tire still spun freely). I tested the brakes to make sure they were working and not dragging by spinning the wheel which it did freely and having my wife step on the brakes in the TV. We pulled the trailer back from Houston to central Texas and the hub was still hotter than the others but not alarmingly so.

Should I replace the bearings? or just repack them assuming I did not do a great job? I can not feel or hear any roughness.

I did not have the wheel turned. SHould I take it off and have it turned? This wheel had a broken wire and had not been braking for some time.

I prefer to fix this here at home before I am a longs ways down the road.....

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Tom,
Thats a tough call and hopefully someone very knowlegable will weigh in. Here's my 2c worth. You said you had been in traffic before you checked the hub. It sounds to me like you are seeing brake - related heat and not necessarily bearing related heat. Someone in a previous post suggested driving 20 miles on the interstate and then coasting into a rest stop or exit using minimal braking and then checking the hub temp. Maybe you should try that and if the temp is lower it confirms good bearings and hot brakes. If it turns out to be hot from brakes, I would still want to know why it hotter than the other drums but I would be less worried about trouble on your trip. By the way, I would be checking the hub and cap area for bearing heat, not the drum. I also use grease rated for disk brakes so I get the highest temp rating. I use a cheapy infra-red non-contact thermometer from Harbor Freight. under $10 on sale.

Bill
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It would not hurt to pull the bearings on the "hot" hub and give them a good inspection, but I think that the heat could be drum/brake related as well.

You stated that this hub did not have a working brake when you replaced the backing plates. Is it possible that the drum had some rust on the surface since it was not being used. I would check the surface of the drum and clean up any problems before I put it back together and tested it again.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
One more thought. I hate to say it but it may have been better if you hadn't tightened the hub nut one notch. You want the wheel to turn freely but you also want the bearing just a little on the loose side when you push and pull on the tire. Not sloppy loose but just perceptably loose. This gives the bearings some room to expand without getting too tight when they get hot from use. You might jack it up again and check for some wiggle.

Also, if this drum hasn't been hooked up and braking like the others from a broken wire, it may be that the magnet is grabbing harder on the drum face making the brakes work harder. That should be getting better by now as it cleans itself off.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The correct way to set a bearing nut is to run it in by hand while spinning the wheel. Then take a pair of channel lock pliers and again while spinning the wheel tighten the nut with the pliers just snug. Now back off on the nut at least one segment if it is a 6 point nut and 2 segments if the nut has more than 6 point for the cotter pin. When done wnd with the wheel still up on the jacks you should be able to feel looseness when working the wheel back and forth with your hands on the top and bottom of the tire.

The important thing is it wants to be LOOSE. Tight it TOO tight.

Remove the bearing clean it and look for dark blue color. If the bearing has color consider getting a new one.

If that one was tight I would wiggle the other three to make sure they are loose

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
1962 16' Bambi
Smithville , Texas
Thanks for the input - The Plan

Thanks for everyones help. I am going to

1. Pull the wheel and inspect/repack the bearings,
2. Adjust/check all wheels as advised again just to make sure,
3. Buy an extra set of bearings and seals to carry on the trip,
4. Buy an IR thermometer (I love gadgets anyway).

Thoughts on the plan are appreciated.

Driving through West Texas in August will heat any hub without any issues. We are starting from the Austin (8/14) area headed for Glacier National Park ending at the Balloon Fiesta Rally in Albuquerque (10/2) then home.

Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are going to carry an IR thermometer you should keep this in mind.

If you want to test things while on the road try and come to a stop without using the brakes. Coast to a stop up a hill or into a rest area not using the trailer brakes. This will give you a true indication as to what was happening on the road. My tires will run 105 to 110 degrees in summer with a higher reading on the sunny side. The hub and bearings should be about the same. However if you apply the brakes to stop you can get a false reading much higher. Stopped this way you should be able to touch the center of the wheels with your hands.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Arrived safe!

After starting this thread I wanted to update it after being on the road. My hub temps as best i could tell (my IR gun wont shoot thru the center cap so i had to use the brake hub) were 100*f after 400 miles and 85 -90 *f ambient. The tread was only 95*f and brakes were great too.

Thanks again to all that responded and I hope this thread will help others in the future.

Chris

Tags
brake