Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If you spin the drums with your hand do they all feel the same? I would expect the hotter drums to take more force to make them rotate. There must be a reason why the temps. aren't all the same, it would be nice to know why that is. When I adjust brakes I rotate the drum forward and backwards and adjust for slight drag that feels the same on every wheel. Over tightening the spindle nut can cause heat also. Spindle nut tightening is sort of a "black art" in my opinion! Try the way the manual says it should be done and check the rotation with the shoes backed off, the drum should spin easily. I like to torque the spindle nut to 50 foot pounds and rotate drum to make sure bearings are seated and then back the nut off completely. Then I tighten the nut as tight as I can with just my fingers while turning the drum and lock it there with the cotter pin. A lot of times the holes don't line up so I go either way that is to the nearest lock hole. In my opinion wheel bearings should have a very slight pre-load (tightness).

Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Good or bad, I have the hubs that use a sealed bearing. There is no cotter pin. You just torque the spindle nut to 155 ft*lb of torque and your done. I was fortunate that I had a socket the right size, 32mm, to remove and install the nut. The rf wheel did have more drag than the others. Hopefully, I have loosened the drag enough. We will see. I thought trailer brakes only adjusted when going backwards and brakes applied. I see Dexter has the "never adjust" brakes available, but I'm sure I don't have those. Don't think they were available in 2013 when my trailer was built. Thanks again, Mike

Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The drum brakes on cars were designed to self-adjust while going in reverse and aggressively applying the brakes. The self-adjusting trailer brakes are different. I had no idea that they would self also adjust going in reverse but that's what Dexter says. But in addition they adjust also while applying the brakes while traveling forward. I'm sure the self adjusters were available in 2013. I had installed them on our former Airstream in 2010 or 2011 I think.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Replace the brakes shoes and magnets on that wheel and maybe the brake drum....most likely a magnet not letting the brake shoe release.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
After reading the last post, looked to see about replacement parts just for fun. Kind of wish I didn't have the never lube hubs. Those things are expensive. Bearing cartridge is @$145 and drums are over 300. Shoes and magnets are reasonable, whole assembly is less than $50 including the backing plate. Oh well, lucky me.