Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
That was the last era. They didn't bow out due to ABS, it was liability, it really was. ABS plays a part but came later. Brakesmart technology is right on time but I would not want to pay their product liability bill. Ford, who is the only OEM offering a system is in a better position because they have OEM protection. Like mentioned earlier, I'm surprised other didn't follow suit. For what its worth, Ford uses a Tekonsha engineered system and Jordan was asked to contribute as well but didn't. Yes, Camco now owns Jordan Research including the name, products and all. I have spoken at length with them and the 2020 is stopped in favor of redesigning to fit ALL vehicles with no special brackets.
I think Bryan makes some great points except brake controls that use the brake light switch will always be inferior to me because there is no good way to measure weight. Adjusting gain is a guessing game that many people get used but will not cover all situations. The accelerometer the Prodigy uses is better than time based, or pendulum but not as good as pedal travel or pressure. I have a mile or two with them all but that only gives me experience. All of that said, I would and do own a Prodigy too as a backup.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Brake controllers importance and usage

Hi all,

We just bought a '69 Overlander 27ft. It is about 200 miles away, and I have been planning to rent a truck with hitch & controller to drag it home. Tomorrow is the day. HOWEVER, my rental truck is now not available.

I do have access to a 3/4 ton Ford F250 that has the correct hitch, but it does not have a brake controller. They regularly tow medium-sized Caterpillar tractors with it. Specs on the F250 show that it weighs over 6000 lbs, versus the trailer at 4100. Most of the roads are 40mph or less, and I can certainly drive slow or take a different route for the 30 miles I was planning to be on the freeway---in other words, I can do the whole trip at 40-45mph.

So the question is, can I get by without the brake controller if I take it real easy?

thanks all
kaulike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Ooo, hey... here's an idea. What if I make a momentary switch to go from cig lighter to brake input on the trailer! It won't be automatic, but I can use it in a pickle.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulike
Hi all,

We just bought a '69 Overlander 27ft. It is about 200 miles away, and I have been planning to rent a truck with hitch & controller to drag it home. Tomorrow is the day. HOWEVER, my rental truck is now not available.

I do have access to a 3/4 ton Ford F250 that has the correct hitch, but it does not have a brake controller. They regularly tow medium-sized Caterpillar tractors with it. Specs on the F250 show that it weighs over 6000 lbs, versus the trailer at 4100. Most of the roads are 40mph or less, and I can certainly drive slow or take a different route for the 30 miles I was planning to be on the freeway---in other words, I can do the whole trip at 40-45mph.

So the question is, can I get by without the brake controller if I take it real easy?

thanks all
Yes, you can, however it is not recommended. Having said that, I brought our Safari over 400 miles down I5 to Orange without an operating brake controller. Take it slow, leave plenty of room in front and try not to brake suddenly. I had a brake controller in the PowerWagon from early 1974, however in the intervening 30 years the power was disconnected and the controller did not work. My main concern was the grade into Castaic, but I took it slow and made no sudden moves.

Do you have any experience towing?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I'm agin it

I believe that most state laws require that towed trailers over a certain weight have brakes. In case of an accident, it might invalidate your insurance if you don't have brakes, not to mention the frown on Smokie Bear's face.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #66
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I had to tow my 80 Airstream home sans brakes, BUT I was towing with a CC dually that probably weighed as much if not more than the Airstream. It can be done but is not reccomended.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My opinion is that the truck's brakes should be adequate if the brakes are in good repair. Your trailer is not loaded with your camping gear to which you then will definitely need the controller. Also I am aware that your Northern California roads can have some hills that will 'test' your stopping ability. If the truck is capable of transporting tractors tractors safely go for it. I do not plan to be on your roads in the near future.
Neil
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Uh oh: from the Calif. DMV web site:

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more.

I do have some experience with trailers, but it was quite a long time ago. I think I could probably make it safely, but the note about state laws and invalid insurance is a clincher.

Is there such a thing as a portable brake controller that I could hook up to the truck without one?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Tehachapi , California
Brake controller Value?

I would be dead almost a year now if I had not had the ability to stop my trailer- As an anchor is to a ship in the ocean; the ability to drag your trailer
down the highway will straighten you out as straight as an arrow in two seconds- 'nuff said-
borisnovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
get a brake controller

Only one answer, spend $100 and get a brake controller. If the F250 is not too old there is already a wire harness that the controller can be plugged into without cutting or splicing if you use an adapter which is about $15. Prodigy makes a truck specific adapter for the F250. Installation is about 10 minutes. The contrller can be easily removed after the tow job.

Also, besides your own safety, herrgirder is right, the liability if something goes wrong could be disasterous.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Kaulike,
I'm glad you looked at the DMV you don't want to put yourself in a situation that would make you automatically negligent if something unexpected were to happen. What do you intend to use as a tow vehicle after you get your new baby home? If for some reason you decide to throw caution to the wind look carefully at your route. Elevation change and hills will heat the brakes up quite a bit and not being the owner who would know the condition of truck you are borrowing makes it a greater risk.
Be Safe and Good Luck
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #72
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Not that I'm aware of. A 3/4 ton truck will do OK to get it home but go slow and leave extra room. If you wreck, you're at fault if the state laws apply. I would do it but not on anything larger than that or farther than that. Take the terrain into consideration too...If you need to descend, use low gears, not just the brakes.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Only one answer, spend $100 and get a brake controller. If the F250 is not too old there is already a wire harness that the controller can be plugged into without cutting or splicing if you use an adapter which is about $15. Prodigy makes a truck specific adapter for the F250. Installation is about 10 minutes. The controller can be easily removed after the tow job.

Also, besides your own safety, herrgirder is right, the liability if something goes wrong could be disasterous.

John
SOLD to the gent on the left! First stop tomorrow will be at an auto parts or RV shop to find one of these. I do have some mountainous terrain to deal with, and besides being legal I really want to be safe. Thanks!

To answer other q's, we are bringing it home to gut it, make it weathertight, and then will rent a truck again to tow it out to our property, where it will sit for at least a year as office/campsite while we build our dream house. Then another while longer until I build my dream garage/barn. Then we start the serious restoration on the Overlander, and only after that will we start looking for the right tow vehicle. Might be that long before we can afford to go traveling anyway!

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Safe travels and post some pics when you get it to her new home! Also, don't forget to buy a bottle of Champagne one must toast a new home
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #75
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulike
SOLD to the gent on the left! First stop tomorrow will be at an auto parts or RV shop to find one of these. I do have some mountainous terrain to deal with, and besides being legal I really want to be safe. Thanks!

To answer other q's, we are bringing it home to gut it, make it weathertight, and then will rent a truck again to tow it out to our property, where it will sit for at least a year as office/campsite while we build our dream house. Then another while longer until I build my dream garage/barn. Then we start the serious restoration on the Overlander, and only after that will we start looking for the right tow vehicle. Might be that long before we can afford to go traveling anyway!

Thanks again for all the advice!
In other words, don't expect to hear from you again for a long time. We all dash out for our dreams. Good luck with your house and shop. Wire the hell out of the shop and don't forget the 30/50 amp service on the side so you can work on the Airstream close to the tools. Insulate the shop and don't paint the floor. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
If you are referring to the brake controller which tapped into the hydraulic system, the period is in the 1970's. I purchased one for my PowerWagon in about 1974.
No. Those controllers were widely used into the 90's I think. Simple hydraulic activated and powered rheostats feeding battery to the trailer brakes. Had one on my '81 burb, for instance.

What I was referring to was a system with no controller at all as described in an earlier post. This system had a tap on the hydraulic brake lines in the tow vehicle. You'd run a flexible hydraulic line from that to a secondary master cylinder on the trailer mounted near the jack post. It usually had a handle to set and release the 'parking' brake as well as a chain for the breakaway function. It faded out of use about the same time as they started using dual hydraulic systems in vehicles as a redundant safety feature, I think. Every now and then you'll hear from someone buying a vintage 60's A/S that encounters one and doesn't know what to do with it or what it is.

And Randy, I think you'll find even the Jordan uses the brake light switch.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #77
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Bryan,
If we are talking about the 2020 Ultima, there is no brake light switch wire. There actually is an older 2100 actuater still produced that I forgot about but gets no airtime because it is the same as any other time based unit. They are installed by 5 and dime dealers and I have never even thought about carrying them in the last 5 years but they are out there. They were Jordan's worst nightmare but they were cheap to buy (and for what it worth, the smallest brake controller in the world) The 2020 Ultima that I was referring to does not use the brake light switch. I promise friend, it uses a stainless steel cable instead. I was thinking top line units and forgot about the ole 2100. We only sold the 2020 Ultima.
I love to talk controllers when I have the time, I almost bought the company.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #78
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Question ....and don't paint the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
....and don't paint the floor.

Okay '68 I'll bite...why not paint the floor?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Are there considerations with particular controllers whether drum or disk brakes are installed?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #80

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think that the new disk brakes have presented problems with some controllers. From what I remember I think the issue was related to too much gain. I've not spoken to anyone using the Jordan and the disks to know how it faired when Airstream made this change.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote