Old 06-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
For a transmission temperature gauge... I bought a Norskog digital unit.

It was a minor pain to install. A metal plug on the side of the transmission is replaced with a temperature sending unit, a new wire is run from it to the gauge, a switched hot lead must be found and run to the gauge, and mount the gauge.

Someone who knows what they are doing could do this in a half-hour, but routing the new wire and finding the proper hot lead took me much longer.

You could have a truck accesories place install this.

It is nice to have - the digital gauge is supposed to be very accurate (within a couple percent) so you can see even small changes in temperature due to outside temperature, hills, speed, gear selection, etc.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Prodigy works great for me.

"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
My prodigy seems to need the gain set higher on the down grades and it needs to be dialed back at regular level roads ,its not twitchy or grabby and works really good ,but that down grade thing bugs me.It is an inertia type controller ,you would think it would work better downhill on grades .It is mounted "level "under the dash .Any ideas on that downhill business??

Scott
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
...the controller requires a lot of adjustment even though the trailer weight is constant...It seems like the only adjustment is the resistance of the controller so the same braking effort goes to the trailer if you stand on the brakes as if you just touch the pedal...
Something is wrong with your controller or installation. The controller takes two inputs:

1. The brake pedal being pressed turns on the tow vehicles brake lights. This tells the controller whether you are braking or not.
2. The inertia of slowing down is sensed internally by the controller. The harder you brake the more forward force is "felt" by the controller.

A microporcessor looks at the force, and time since braking started, and computes the voltage to be applied to the trailer brakes at any given moment in time. Different voltage = different amount of trailer braking. You can "tune" the baseline for this with a rheostat, and with the Prodigy you can tweek the programming a bit with a button that puts three different force/time/voltage curves into play. A properly set up system works very well.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
My prodigy seems to need the gain set higher on the down grades and it needs to be dialed back at regular level roads ,its not twitchy or grabby and works really good ,but that down grade thing bugs me.It is an inertia type controller ,you would think it would work better downhill on grades .It is mounted "level "under the dash .Any ideas on that downhill business??

Scott
The grade should not matter to a Prodigy. Once set, I never need to mess with my Prodigy's setup. Exactly what are you experiencing?

Perhaps it's just the normal additional stopping force that is required going down hill?

Prodigy can tolerate 0 - 70 degree mounting angle, but not a negative angle, so a slight positive angle may be advisable to ensure it is not slightly negative. It must be mounted aligned with the longitudinal axis of the tow vehicle, and cannot be tilted side-to-side.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Something is wrong with your controller or installation. The controller takes two inputs:

1. The brake pedal being pressed turns on the tow vehicles brake lights. This tells the controller whether you are braking or not.
2. The inertia of slowing down is sensed internally by the controller. The harder you brake the more forward force is "felt" by the controller.
We have an Impulse made by Hopkins Mfg. Corp (aka Hoppy). It's a "time delay" type controller and doesn't sense inertia. In some respect I like this idea better as our tow vehicle is a little marginal and since I like to brake as slowly as possible the inertia type I think would put more strain on the TV brakes. I also wonder about long down grades where you're "riding the brakes" to maintain a constant speed. No speed change means no input to the interia sensor, right? That means you be relying heavily on the TV brakes on grades, the very situation Scott reports.

I'll have to live with it for a while. Hopefully the trailer brakes get less grabby with a little wear. Fortunately the control is easy to reach and dialing it in isn't too bad. The digital readout makes it easy to hit the right setting. A little adjustment of the brake light switch may also be in order. Right now you can depress the brake a little before the TV brakes actually engage. I looked to see if there was an adjustment on the time delay but couldn't find any info.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have a 2005 F-250 with the Tow/Haul package and factory trailer braking package. As I understand it, the built in trailer brake system is manufactured by Tekonsha and is different in that there is a sensor in the master cylinder that controls the trailer's brakes. The added benefit is that when the anti-lock brake system activates, the trailer brake controler will also pulse the trailer's brakes to prevent them from skidding. It ties the two brake systems together making them work in harmony. (Sounds good anyway.) The system worked great on the voyage home. Anyway, my point was supposed to be that I would recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy since Ford selected Tekonsha to manufacture their built in system and the truck is already pre-wired for that brand.

As far as transmission temp guages, sorry I can't help you their. My F-250 came with one from the factory.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
temp gauge

My present truck has one standard, but when I towed a large pop-up with a Cherokee, I used Auto Meter's Ultra-Lite Pro Comp temp gauge with a pillar mount. Worked very well for me, and not too hard to install.

Here's a pic showing it while heading up Wolf Creek Pass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempgauge.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	22259  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
bhayden,

Your description of your brake controller seems to define the problem you are having! Your simpler controller has no idea how hard you are braking, so therefore you are having to adjust it manually. This does not seem like a good solution to me.

Regarding your question about braking down a long grade with an inertia based controller... remember that the inertia controller "knows" that your foot is on the brake because of the brake light circuit, it also "knows" how long you have been applying the brakes (just like your time based unit), and it has the additional information that you are braking lightly. Overall, it works!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Its Prodigy for me. Has worked great for 10,000 miles during our recent 27 state journey. I have a 2005 F250 and a 25 Safari FB SE, and as previously mentioned, Prodigy makes a direct connect harness for the Fords which took me about 15 minutes to install. It worked perfect right out of the box.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Factory trans gauge

Hello all -

Reading the thread with interest. The trans gauge issue got me to thinking....

Is the factory gauge calibrated? I am thinking it should be more or less right on... but then if you don't ask, you might not really know...

I have some serious grades getting back up to the house (7300ft) and 2 sections are over 12% - one is actually 15%. The tranny really hates those sections..... Temps DO come up. My wonder is where they really actually go...?

Does anyone know of a larger trans cooler that would be a bolt on situation. Have an 01 2500 HD Burb with factory tow set up.

Thanks for any and all help.

Axel
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello dmac,

What I described is that on a decent long steep grade ,apply the brakes and the rig slows ,but raise the gain on the controller to increase the power to the trailer brakes ,seems the pendulem does not see the slowing as significant enough as the voltage numbers on the readout do not show a big increase as on a normal stop on the road .bhaydens idea sounds right at least by what is happening .My local rv guy said set it and forget it as you have ,but I think somthing is wrong in the unit,works great all other times .The brakes are appling on the down grade but not enough .I have not used the boost settings yet .

Thanks for the input

Scott
Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I think the factory setup that monitors the actual hydraulic pressure is the only system that's going to work correctly in all situation without adjustment. With what I know now I'd probably opt for the inertia style controller and manually apply the trailer brakes on long down grades.

I suppose it's a liability thing that no one has an aftermarket controller that monitors the hydraulic pressure. It seems the next best thing would be to make it speed sensisitive. That would require a monitor akin to the aftermarket cruise controls or tapping into the cars computer. Don't know if it would be legal but all that information is available on modern vehicles with OBDII.

-Bernie
Old 07-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Prodigy and Brake Controllers

Does any one know if the wiring harness from my 04 Suburban is the same for the 06 Silverado 2500 HD?

I checked the Tekonsha site, but they only list up to 04. They are closed untill Wed...

Also, I remember having to do something with a fuse under the hood when I installed it on the 04. Could not find the instructions for that either. Any remember what that was all about?

Thanx, Bill