Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Brake controllers

I am thinking of upgrading my brake controller and I was wondering who likes what and why. I have had some recomendations for Tekonsha.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Parry,

And you will no doubt get more....seems many have used them at one time or another.

I've used quite a few over the years and settled on the TruControl Gold, ease of use, install, features and performance are outstanding.

Bob
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If we're voting: I have a Tekonsha Prodigy, new in 2005, still in service; very satisfied and would buy again.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If we're voting: I have a Tekonsha Prodigy, new in 2005, still in service; very satisfied and would buy again.
Same here.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Me too...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Prodigy P-3, which is the upgraded version of the original Prodigy. Excellent control features, ease of installation and great diagnostics if you have a problem.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I have the P-3 havent used it with this trailer but have used it for others. I like it very much. Also I bought a wireing harness that just plugs into my Suburbans control switch under my dash. The install took me 10 min!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Prodigy line is the most popular. That said, I'd rather have a MAXBRAKE. The feel is just that much better, IMO. And also in the opinion of quite a few who use pickups for work and commercial hauling with far heavier trailers than an A/S (where the differences become more apparent).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Brake controllers

Greetings Perry!

My preference for brake controllers follows a different direction from most. Back in 1982, I had a terrible experience with sway that ended up placing my trailer (1980 Nomad -- 17.5') and tow vehicle (1982 Pontiac Bonneville) into a 180 degree skid. I was very fortunate that both vehicles remained upright and all traffic in both directions (2-lane state highway) was able to stop safely.

I learned several important lessons from that experience, with what I consider the most important to be that a brake controller that you cannot reach without leaning forward isn't going to be of much good in an emergency. My Bonneville's controller was mounted at the lower edge of the dash, but it required leaning forward to be able to activate the manual control. When I reached for the controller when the sway was first felt (I was increasing accelerator pressure at the same time), I must have pulled on the steering wheel as I reached for the manual control as the sway increased dramatically.

I now insist that my brake controller have a remote control that I can easily reach while seated without having to lean forward or anything of that nature. I have only been able to find one manufacturer who offers such a controller, and that is Hayes Lemmerz. I have utilized the Hayes Lemmerz Brake controller for more than 10 years now and am totally satisfied with its ease of operation and safety margin. I have the Hayes Lemmerz controllers in two of my three tow vehicles, and they are the Energize XPC with optional manual remote control.

The photo above shows the control with the optional remote. The remote has a coiled wire that allows you to place it where you can easily activate the trailer brakes without reaching. The company that manufactures these controllers has gone through bankruptcy, but I have never experienced any kind of trouble with warranty or product support questions.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Installation Manual XPC--flattened.pdf (293.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf Operators Manual XPC--flattened.pdf (383.0 KB, 64 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have a P3 and am very happy with it. I honestly can hardly tell there is a trailer behind me even on a fast stop, brake pressure and feel are the same as when I am not pulling the Trade Wind. It is mounted within easy reach so I can use the manual lever if I ever need to with no problem.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I now insist that my brake controller have a remote control that I can easily reach while seated without having to lean forward or anything of that nature. I have only been able to find one manufacturer who offers such a controller, and that is Hayes Lemmerz. I have utilized the Hayes Lemmerz Brake controller for more than 10 years now and am totally satisfied with its ease of operation and safety margin. I have the Hayes Lemmerz controllers in two of my three tow vehicles, and they are the Energize XPC with optional manual remote control.

The photo above shows the control with the optional remote. The remote has a coiled wire that allows you to place it where you can easily activate the trailer brakes without reaching. The company that manufactures these controllers has gone through bankruptcy, but I have never experienced any kind of trouble with warranty or product support questions.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
Interesting! Good post, Thanks!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote