Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #1

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
brake controller wiring?

just noticed that my brake controller's actuation light is lighting up when I depress the brake pedal....except, I'm talking about when the trailer is NOT connected to the truck. I don't think this is supposed to happen.

this is a Tekonsha Voyager controller. when the trailer is connected to the truck, the light glows green to show that the brake circuit is complete. when power is being sent to the brakes, the color changes to orange/red color, depending on how much amperage is being sent back there. but nothing should be happening when the trailer is disconnected.

what I'm seeing is the light rapidly blinking red, whenever the brake pedal is depressed.

oh, yeah: this controller is new. only a couple of months old. its worked w/ the trailer just fine through 5 trips this summer.

I was suspecting that something was wrong in the wiring of the tow vehicle, as there doesn't seem to be any voltage going to the trailer from the TV's charge line. now, I'm wondering if something is seriously hosed. (factory tow package, fwiw.).

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by chuck
what I'm seeing is the light rapidly blinking red, whenever the brake pedal is depressed.
Chuck, my Tekonsha user's guide says that a rapidly binking red light indicates a short. I had this problem after I relocated my controller, turned out I had run a screw into the wire going to the trailer brakes. Oops. You could have a similar situation, check the main wire going to the trailer plug, and make sure you, or the person that wired it, didn't do what I did.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote