Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Brake Controller Issues

Hello everyone, is this the right place to ask questions about brake controller issues?
Ok, my tow vehicle is a 2014 Chevy Silverado with a Primus IQ controller.
A few weeks ago i coming home with the Bambi we noticed that the controller kept losing connection. Normalky i would look down and see a number on it whenever a trailer was hooked up. But this time i noticex it just showed a dot. Manually activating the trailer brakes would only show nc.
Thought itnwas a bad connection in the resr so i wiggled it a few times and then all was good.
Not anymore. Twice i've rowed with different trailers and none were able to connect.
What i've found so far using a light meter at the back of the controller:
- Constant voltage on black wire
- Voltage present on white wire when depressing the brakes
- Voltage present on red wire when i manually operate trailer brakes
At the back of the truck:
- Truck brake lights work when i manually operate the brake controller
- Voltage is sent to brakes
- All trailer lights work the way they are supposed to

Now i mention voltage present, because i am using a light meter. I've yet to actually meassure voltage.
What voltage should i see being sent to the brakes???
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Over time, the umbilical plug connections may not make good contact. Clean with contact cleaner and add a light coating of dielectric grease. When we picked up the trailer, there was no lighting connection. The umbilical was not making contact. Working it a bit resolved the issue. Going to have to do some cleaning myself. May not be your problem, but worth the effort. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Over time, the umbilical plug connections may not make good contact. Clean with contact cleaner and add a light coating of dielectric grease. When we picked up the trailer, there was no lighting connection. The umbilical was not making contact. Working it a bit resolved the issue. Going to have to do some cleaning myself. May not be your problem, but worth the effort. Pat
Thanks for the advice, i did notice that, but looking ay my truck it doesn't seem like theres any corrosion at the hook up.
Maybe i don't understand how the controller works, but when i manually activate it my brake lights come on and i see voltage at the right pins.
How much voltage should i see being sent to the brakes?
Also, because it shows "nc" could it be an internal fault with the controller?
Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you're thinking about replacing the trucks plug, this might be of interest as a replacement. They have plug and play components, no splicing.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...fic/40974.html

Confirm part number, this was a quick look.

I've measured voltage and current on a few drum brake rigs and while I do not consider this all knowing and definitive, the values were in the 9V and 14A range on full brake.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swrider View Post
Thanks for the advice, i did notice that, but looking ay my truck it doesn't seem like theres any corrosion at the hook up.
Maybe i don't understand how the controller works, but when i manually activate it my brake lights come on and i see voltage at the right pins.
How much voltage should i see being sent to the brakes?
Also, because it shows "nc" could it be an internal fault with the controller?
Go to the 7pin connection first, clean with lectraclean and lube with dielectric grease
The controller is not likely the cause.

The voltage supplied depends on the gain setting,(CFG on the TC)

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1b9b.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	348845  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Thought it was a bad connection in the resr so i wiggled it a few times and then all was good.
I think you've already proven it was a bad connection and not the controller. A lot of times it is not your TV, but the trailers umbilical cord connector. Either way it sounds like there is a bad or broken connection.

You can start by ohming out the trailer side. Plug in a connector to the umbilical cord and then check the circuit from there to the inside of the AS at the termination point. It's always good to have some spare connectors.

If your trailer side ohms out then you can start on the TV. But I think you've already indicated that it's ok. Contact cleaner can work wonders on poor connections. But dielectric grease can keep them oxidizing and corroding.

Years ago, when I ran into this issue I made a got a connector and attached a 12 volt halogen light to it. Then I could see the intensity of the light from the brake controller. I actually started by just plugging in the light at the controller end. Once that was working I attached it to the back. I was a good way of proving that my TV was OK. In my case the controller worked manually, but didn't work with the brake pedal. Ended up being a defective rear SAM.

Any cheap ohm meter will do, but if you want a better one then be prepared to pay for it. A good Fluke can set you back https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-115-Com...=bestcont06-20, but there are many other good meters for far less https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-101-Mul...6561&s=gateway. Check Amazon or go to HF for cheapies. I always keep a cheap meter in the trailer. They are good enough for measuring low voltage and ohming things out. Just never use it on high voltage.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

What i've found so far using a light meter at the back of the controller:
- Constant voltage on black wire (YEP!)
- Voltage present on white wire when depressing the brakes (NOPE!)
- Voltage present on red wire when i manually operate trailer brakes(YEP!)
At the back of the truck:
- Truck brake lights work when i manually operate the brake controller
- Voltage is sent to brakes
- All trailer lights work the way they are supposed to
That doesn't sound right.
By 'light meter' I assume you mean a probe that lights up with 12v?

Are you using Tekonsha's harness? Did they have a plug and play for your truck?

The red wire is the connection to stop lights
The white wire is the ground.
The black wire is 12v. "Battery"
The brakes should be on a blue wire separate from the brake lights.

My controller let's me know if the connection is bad. To me it's very loose and I need to push it in farther than I'd think. (A notch on the plug engages a prong on the cover flap)
Brake voltage is somewhere around 2-3 v. (Certainly not 12v.) This will not lite a bulb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-pin-trailer-connector.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	348850   Click image for larger version

Name:	71BCGQKxDCL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	348851  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
BTW Tekonsha sells a pre made wiring harness for your truck 2017 Chevy Silverado (1500?) plug and play
# 316-P
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3016...e&sr=1-2-fkmr1

You Tube is your friend! (maybe)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That doesn't sound right.
By 'light meter' I assume you mean a probe that lights up with 12v?
Yes, a simple light meter

Are you using Tekonsha's harness? Did they have a plug and play for your truck?
Yes using a plug and play harness for a 2014 Silverado

The red wire is the connection to stop lights
The white wire is the ground.
The black wire is 12v. "Battery"
The brakes should be on a blue wire separate from the brake lights.

My controller let's me know if the connection is bad. To me it's very loose and I need to push it in farther than I'd think. (A notch on the plug engages a prong on the cover flap)
Brake voltage is somewhere around 2-3 v. (Certainly not 12v.) This will not lite a bulb.
Thanks for all the replies.
To Mollysdad,

Using the light meter i have voltage where i should. It also makes sense that it lights up on the white wire, it its ground then when i hit the brakes, the circuit completes and i should see a voltage on it.
The problem is not on the trailer side, because this happens on three differe t trailers now. Unless i have three bad canles. That would suck.
At this point, im going to concentrate on the connector at the back of the truck.
So.ething there is not making good contact and the controller doesn't see a connection. Thats why i think i receive an "nc" even with the trailer hooked up.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
OK, so I am looking at the owners manual for my '72 International, just happened to be paying attention and i found something that im not sure if i am seeing right. According to what I see, the layout of the trailer plug has the brake line different than what my truck has.
My Truck has the brake line at the 5oclock position, but this shows it different.
Anyone ever noticed this???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer Plug .jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	349116  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I'm homing in on your comment in post 1

"Twice i've rowed with different trailers and none were able to connect."

The same TV has not connected to multiple different trailers?

Was this TV able to previously connect to any of these three trailers? If yes then the plug wiring (diagram, not physical connections) should not be the concern.

You asked about what voltage, well in this video Tenonsha uses their meter and shows you the controller output test results.

16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
OK, so I am looking at the owners manual for my '72 International, just happened to be paying attention and i found something that im not sure if i am seeing right. According to what I see, the layout of the trailer plug has the brake line different than what my truck has.
My Truck has the brake line at the 5oclock position, but this shows it different.
Anyone ever noticed this???

I believe the '72 is using the older wiring connector.

Bob
🇺🇸

New style...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c33.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	349124  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Bob

I to am confused. I’m not sure what trailer he is hooking up to but multiple was stated. So are all of them a different wiring diagram.

But a 2014 would be the current wiring diagram and that tester might be a good place to start and confirm the TV output.

Need more info specifics.

Gary
Old 08-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob

I to am confused. I’m not sure what trailer he is hooking up to but multiple was stated. So are all of them a different wiring diagram.

But a 2014 would be the current wiring diagram and that tester might be a good place to start and confirm the TV output.

Need more info specifics.

Gary
Ok, sorry for all the confusion, let me clarify in chronological order.
- The controller worked before while towing an airstream and a utility trailer.
- Noticed that the controller would show "nc" while towing the airstream on a trip back home. Unplugged and replugged multiple times during that trip to make it work.
- Towed the utility trailer and could not get the controller to work. Didn't do any testing.
- Towed the airstream again to the dealership, couldn't get the controller to work.
- Towed a third trailer, my new to me 1972 Ambassador. Couldn't get the controller to work.
- Did a bunch of testing. Using a light probe i verified voltage at the black wire. At the red wire while pressing the brake. At the blue wire while using the manual slide knob. Although the sound and light intensity varied. Kinda makes sense.
- Checked at the back of the TV, same results.
- The diagram posted above comes from the Ambassador's user manual. Not verified that the trailer is wired that way. But really has nothing to do with current issues on the brake controller.

Did i clarify or completely mess it all up?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I'm suggesting focusing one one trailer, only for this diagnostic.

This one:

"Noticed that the controller would show "nc" while towing the airstream on a trip back home. Unplugged and replugged multiple times during that trip to make it work."

It was working, failed, and reconnecting made it work?

If this was a working rig, factory wiring for 7 way on TV and Airstream wiring matched the TV. Start there.

Leave the other trailers for later until you get a working situation. You may need to rewire other trailer plugs to match if they are yours and do not match the TV.

The video of the Tekonsha tester has merit for a starting point.

Your TV, integrated brake controller?
What year is the Airstream in your comment in blue above?

Gary
Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
It also makes sense that it lights up on the white wire, it its ground then when i hit the brakes, the circuit completes and i should see a voltage on it.
I must be missing something.
The test light I'm imagining has a clip lead to ground, and a probe with a bulb. So when you touch 12v. the bulb lights. I don't see how touching two grounds passes current.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Personally I think you need to start over. Start by checking the TV for the correct response from the wiring. Personally I would update the plug wiring to match current standards. Then re-wire the trailer to match. You need to stick to one standard and to me that is the current one and not one from 1972. But if you do they at least have to match each other, otherwise you won't get anywhere.

One wire needs to be ground in that plug. If the ground wire in the plug is reading 12V then that's messed up. Just drop the plug get your wire snips out and cut the plug off. Then figure out the wiring and wire it right and be done with it.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I'm suggesting focusing one one trailer, only for this diagnostic.

This one:

"Noticed that the controller would show "nc" while towing the airstream on a trip back home. Unplugged and replugged multiple times during that trip to make it work."

It was working, failed, and reconnecting made it work?

If this was a working rig, factory wiring for 7 way on TV and Airstream wiring matched the TV. Start there.

Leave the other trailers for later until you get a working situation. You may need to rewire other trailer plugs to match if they are yours and do not match the TV.

The video of the Tekonsha tester has merit for a starting point.

Your TV, integrated brake controller?
What year is the Airstream in your comment in blue above?

Gary
Yes, I will leave other trailers alone until I have a working condition.
The truck is a '14 Silverado using a Tekonsha Primus IQ. The airstream is a "18 Sport 22fb. This setup worked in the past but not anymore. I will continue to troubleshoot this.
Found a video on youtube that uses a lightbulb to simulate a trailer load, and using a 12v power supply you can run tests on the controller.

For anyone interested, here is the link:

Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I must be missing something.
The test light I'm imagining has a clip lead to ground, and a probe with a bulb. So when you touch 12v. the bulb lights. I don't see how touching two grounds passes current.
The test light is something i picked up for cheap in Autozone, looks like a screwdriver with a sharp point at the end, a lightbulb with beeper in the handle and a long lead with a clip for grounding.
Maybe I was confused and measured the wrong wire, or maybe not and having voltage on white means I have a bad ground.
I will recheck all wires again tonight.

Took the controller to a camping supply store and they tested it there. Everything seemed fine, so I guess its now down to the wire harness or the rear TV plug.

Will update with more later tonight...

Thanks for coming along.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
If you are testing at the controller and not at the 7 way, that's leaving a lot of harness untested. Hopefully you can do same at 7 way on TV.

I've never tried this but a friend that was a Chrysler trainer for dealership techs described using a 12VDC fan as a substitute load and the controller could increase or slow down the fan speed.