Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Brake controller incompatibility?

We have 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel and 2006 Classic 31 with Actibrake version 1(not on recall). Two brake failures of NO brakes, Two brake failures with FULL ON brakes. Airstream says controller incompatibility. Dodge says controller is for electric brakes, not electric on hydrolic brakes. What are my options at this point? Don't trust my brake actuator, love my truck, love my airstream....any solutions out there?
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Flying Gypsies

We had a very early actibrake, that would “go to sleep” It would do this after so many ignition cycles. The temporary fix was to remove the power wire (this caused a reset) then it wouldn't happen for a while. Actibrake sent my dealer a new circuit board, the failures ceased immediately.

Now that Actibrake is out of business, I've heard other manufacturers are now suppling actuators.

Some tow vehicles with built-in controllers may/may-not offer owner assistance. I use an add-on controller, don't know what others have experienced but this was my saga. JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
So we replaced the actibrake with Brakerite EHB. Now we have reliable brakes with slide on Dodge controller, but no brakes with the brake peddle. Gets a little squirrel-y if ya hit the brakes on the Dodge and forget the slider Is there anyone out there that has a 2010 Ram towing electric over hydraulic without issues or am I forced to get a new controller?
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I have NEVER used a better Brake controller...Brake Controller - TruControl by Hensley Mfg.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Bob,

I was wondering if you've used a MaxBrake controller and if so would you compare it to your Hensley TruControl controller. Thanks!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Replace E/H Actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
We have 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel and 2006 Classic 31 with Actibrake version 1(not on recall). Two brake failures of NO brakes, Two brake failures with FULL ON brakes. Airstream says controller incompatibility. Dodge says controller is for electric brakes, not electric on hydrolic brakes. What are my options at this point? Don't trust my brake actuator, love my truck, love my airstream....any solutions out there?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Given that Actibrake is no longer in business, and the various problems that have been experienced with the Actibrake units, replacing the Actibrake unit with some currently available brand might be a good choice.

That is what we did. We installed a Dexter E/H actuator. It was a straight forward replacement and has worked flawlessly. Dexter was able to tell us that our Ford ITBC was compatible with their actuator when Ford was saying it was not. Dexter was correct.

If you choose this route, then talk to Dexter. They will be able to tell you if your Dodge controller is compatible with the Dexter actuator.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Bob,

I was wondering if you've used a MaxBrake controller and if so would you compare it to your Hensley TruControl controller. Thanks!
pickerdd,

I have not used the MaxBrake unit. But in reading their spec sheet the two units are very similar.

I couldn't be more pleased with the TruControl, once it's set you your done with any further adjustments. Cross-Country trip last Season didn't have to re-adjust once. Flats, mts, wet, load didn't make any difference.

Bob
Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Brakes

I have a 2011 Dodge with a Classic with electric over hyd. brakes. It has worked flawlessly so far. Three trips totaly approx. 10,000 miles.
If I have any problems I will go with something compatible with my truck actuator. Love the disc brakes, head and shoulders above standard electric brakes.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote