Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You may need the plug adapter that simulates incandescent bulb resistance. The LED resistance is not recognized by some on-board wiring modules. Costs about $35. Plugs into 7-pin socket and trailer plug connects to it. One would hope new vehicles would be configured for new trailer tech. So maybe not an issue to worry about until it is. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
Colorado couple

2018 23' International
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Wireless brake controller

I used a Tekonsha wireless brake controller on my 2013 Porsche Cayenne to avoid an aftermarket hardwire attachment. It works great. I bought it from eTrailer. Pairing is a little different with the Cayenne electrical system, which you may find on the Jaguar as well. ETrailer was very helpful in walking me through that. It involves using a different vehicle, Range Rover in my case, to complete the pairing.
Vabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
People in Europe don't use electric trailer brakes, generally.
That's correct, I learned. EU regs require a breakaway control, which we have and a parking brake, which we don't have. I learn every day.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Irving , Texas
I have an F Pace and use a wireless trailer brake....it comes with a controller you plug into a 12volt accessory plug...the brake system mounts on the tongue...you plug the trailer plug into it and then when you hook up to your f pace you plug the wireless system plug into your 7 pin socket. The system comes with instructions that are super simple and easy to follow....
George Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Mount Horeb , Wisconsin
Jag FPace brake controller solution FOUND!

The consensus opinion for the FPace brake controller problem (the FPace has an empty brake controller relay slot and fuse, but no factory controller is available anyway) was to install a wireless controller, which I did. Taking Andy T's advice I installed a Prodigy RF. The limited A frame space on the 22' Bambi, due to frame mounted WD hitch hangar brackets, required locating the unit on the A-frame crossmember aft the battery box. I knew the standard pairing process might fail (and it did) but an eTrailer expert posted a pairing process that did work (in step 6., turn the power knob clockwise to "full" rather than "minimum".)

Once paired, I took the rig for a shakedown cruise in the hills of Wisconsin's Driftless Area, which includes grades over 10%, and on some of Wisconsin's nationally ranked 2nd worst road surfaces. Even under some aggressive braking the rig stayed calm and true. The Reese Straight-line WD hitch restored the Jag's handling to a remarkable degree, and was not put off by our crappy roads. White-knuckle driving is gone. And the FPace did not have to growl too loudly to climb the grades.

Can't wait to hit the road for real. Thanks again to everyone. This forum is a great resource.
birkieskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Caution - hit the road slow. The normal for towing is reduced from normal solo mode. Assume 65mph is max and keep some in reserve. Note - the correction from a sway event is to accelerate slightly while applying trailer brakes. That stretches the rig out straight. The 22 should be less problem than other coaches, because it is light and narrow. However, never forget you are towing.

Use Caution and enjoy the adventure. Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I look forward to more info as to how your towing goes with the F-Pace, currently its about the only thing I could see replacing my Q5.

I trust you found workable towing mirrors, I am currently using the Dometic DM-2912 Milenco Grand Aero3, our trailer came with the "Fit System 3891" included by the previous owner. The FitSystem mirrors were entirely inadequate for my liking, and were a nightmare to install/remove. The Aero3 works pretty well, though I wish I had .5-1" more extension (at least on the passenger side). I may go with the Hensley tow mirrors if I feel it is necessary after our next trip, but so far the Aero3 works great.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote