Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Wellford , South Carolina
Brake controller for an '82 Avion 34V

Is there a practical way to test my brake controller without the trailer?

I am curious if the Avion's require anything special as far as the TV's brake controller. Or will just about any aftermarket brake controller do the job. The trailer is an '82 34V (six brakes). My TV (a 98 Chevy 3500 crew cab) came with a brake controller installed, and it looks like aftermarket (not OEM). The LED on the controller glows when I mash the brake, but I don't know if it's working beyond that.

I am picking up the trailer this weekend (200 miles away) and I'd like to know that my controller is working properly AND configured for the Avion. BTW, the trailer plug on the TV is the big round (7-pin?) type, same as the Avion from what I understand.

"Assin' around is man's purpose in life. Everything else is just a means to that end." -- Me, as an adult
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In order to check the controller, simply connect a 12 volt test light to the output lead on your tow vehicle umbilical plug, apply the controller, and make sure the test light lights. All you should have to do is make sure the controller will actuate 6 brakes.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ditto for checking the controller. The wiring should be the same but that's not always the case. The PO could have it wired "Their way" instead of your way.

We tow our Airstream and Avion using a Prodigy controller and have had no problem.

I could not find an 89 Avion owner's manual but here's a link to for the 86 model year that may be of some use to you.

http://silveravion.com/downloads/mai...ETE_manual.pdf

Be sure to carry some tools and a circuit tester just in case you find things aren't quite the way you expected.

Congrats on the Avion.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
In order to check the controller, simply connect a 12 volt test light to the output lead on your tow vehicle umbilical plug, apply the controller, and make sure the test light lights. All you should have to do is make sure the controller will actuate 6 brakes.
Uh oh. I can do the test light no problem (tiny puncture wounds notwithstanding), however, I don't (yet) know about the controllers ability to control a herd of six brakes... never thought about the quantity making a difference. So does that mean the six brakes will put more load (amps?) thru the controller, as opposed to 4 brakes or 2 brakes?

I will see if I can find a name/model number on the controller and google it. (do they still say "google it?" Am I supposed to stick "app" in there somewhere when I say that now? I can't keep up these days)

Thanks you guys for the info and also the Avion schematic.
I will report back my findings. I hope this does not mean I will have to buy a controller the size of a toaster or something.

"Assin' around is man's purpose in life. Everything else is just a means to that end." -- Me, as an adult
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Most of the inexpensive controllers are only designed to run two axles.

I like to test brake wiring with an extra sealed-beam headlight bulb so that there is more current flowing than with a test light. You catch more problems that way.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Makes sense on using the headlight.

Okay the brake controller is a Redline p/n 7746 (possibly a 1999 unit, based on a revision number on the case. Truck is a 98, so it could be.). I can't find anything on the web for this particular part number.

It's about the size of a radar detector, like every other controller I've seen in older trucks. It has one bi-color LED (glows red when you're braking, green when you ain't), a manual control slide thing, and little wheel/knob thing you control the power/force with. It does send juice to a pin in the receptacle when you press the brake, but I have not yet determined if it is the correct pin, but at least I now know it's connected back there and getting a signal.

So, what do I do? What happens if it's only rated for one or two axles and I'm mashing on 3? Will the brakes work less than they should, or not at all? Or will it just let all the smoke out of the controller?

I was surprised I couldn't find any info on this model on the net. It looks a lot like Redline's current model TA1000, which is rated for 1-2 axles. Link to photo here: http://www.gooseneckpopuphitch.com/f...%20control.jpg
Not very encouraging.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
[reply to now-deleted post?]

Well-designed controllers measure the load and warn you if it's too much when your first apply the brakes. (Mine does this)

Average controllers will shut off if there is an overload leaving you with no brakes and then work again when they cool off.

Cheap ones? Who knows, important parts might burn up leaving you with no brakes and no quick way to fix them.

If you're planning on towing a 34' with any regularity I would suggest a Maxbrake. Yes they're expensive. Yes they're more work to install. Worth it though.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I have towed a 3 axle trailer since 1992. I have always used Tekonsha brake controllers rated for 3 axles and have never had a problem.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
[reply to now-deleted post?]

Well-designed controllers measure the load and warn you if it's too much when your first apply the brakes. (Mine does this)

Average controllers will shut off if there is an overload leaving you with no brakes and then work again when they cool off.

Cheap ones? Who knows, important parts might burn up leaving you with no brakes and no quick way to fix them.

If you're planning on towing a 34' with any regularity I would suggest a Maxbrake. Yes they're expensive. Yes they're more work to install. Worth it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
I have towed a 3 axle trailer since 1992. I have always used Tekonsha brake controllers rated for 3 axles and have never had a problem.
Thanks, Jammer and Silverhobby. Actually, I am just trying to get it home this weekend from 200 miles away. Nevertheless, I called the local "truck stuff" guy a few minutes ago, and he will supply and install a 3-axle controller and new properly wired receptacle (mine isn't) for about $160 bucks. I don't know if that's a good price, but it sounds to me like cheap insurance for this trip. I want to bring me and the Avion home in one piece, and I'm not sure I could find another 34V in such good shape, not at the price I paid.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
$160 installed seems like a heck of a deal if it's reputable brand stuff. A 34V is no lightweight, so properly functioning brakes are very important. I'd research the deal just to make sure.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Can you borrow a "megger" to check out the wires?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
KEVIN
$160 sounded like a good deal to me, too. I don't know the brands, but the guys doing the work have been in business along time with a good reputation. Their main business is pickup truck add-ons and accessories, and a lot of that is hitches and towing stuff. We'll see how it goes.

JOHN
If by "megger" you mean a megohmmeter I no longer have one of those. If you mean an ohmmeter/VOM, I've got a Fluke around here somewhere, collecting dust most of the time, but handy when you need it. I must admit that i do try not to need it too often these days.

When I was inspecting the receptacle on the truck, it looked pretty beat up, broken cover, cracked case, etc. (it is a '98, after all), and since the $160 quote includes replacing and wiring it, too, I'm just gonna let'em have at it.

Darn. Another 40 bucks and I'll have spent seven grand between the TV and the trailer.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hope it goes well. Our Avion is a wee bit smaller...and older but we sure enjoy it.

Join us for a rally if and when your schedule permits.

Good luck,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Update!

Well, today I got the new brake controller installed -- the one where they estimated $160 for purchase/install a 3-axle controller and new 7-pin receptacle.

They completed the job in about an hour. The total price, to my happy surprise was $141.95 including tax. Because of the price -- even lower than they initially told me -- I immediately thought to myself that I might have just gotten the lowest quality controller on the planet that will do the job.

I don't know, you guys tell me... here's what they installed:
(from the retail package)

Draw-Tite Activator II (#5500)
for 2, 4, 6, & 8 Brake Systems
- 100% Solid State
- Multi-function Digital Display
- Adjustable to Show Output & Sync Settings
- Shows Brake Overload or Short Connection
- Lifetime Warranty

(my receipt shows $89.95 for the controller, $10.95 for the 7-way plug, $35 labor and $6.05 tax = $141.95) Online I see the controller for $79.95, not unexpected.

So, good one, or not so good? Of course it sounds good to me, but I really don't know poop about controllers. I would imagine that at worst it should at least get me and the Avion home..

Comments?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
It's a "timer based" controller which will work OK.

The problem with timer based controllers is that they always apply the same amount of braking (gradually, over a couple of seconds). Therefore, you have to compromise between a low setting which will improve drivability at the expense of safety, and a high setting that will improve safety at the expense of drivability. Even with a compromise setting, light continuous braking, as you might use if you see a stoplight turn red while you're still 1/2 a mile away from it, is hard to do.

The accelerometer controllers guess at how hard you're trying to stop by measuring deceleration. The MaxBrake measures the pressure of the fluid in the brake lines of the tow vehicle.

Either approach will work better than the timer with the MaxBrake providing more control and smoothness particularly on release, and also faster application in emergencies.

I have driven with all three types.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I use the Draw Tite and like it. You got a very good deal. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
OK. So I'm gonna say it is somewhere in the "not the best but not the worst so I'll be OK" category. I am satisfied with that for now. That Maxbrake setup sounds very advanced. As suggested, if I plan on going on tour with the Avion, I will consider upgrading; it is a big trailer.

"Hope it goes well. Our Avion is a wee bit smaller...and older but we sure enjoy it.

Join us for a rally if and when your schedule permits.

Good luck,

Kevin"

I just might take you up on that. Will certainly look into it once I get settled and all my little ducks in a row. I like to see what others have done with their shiny homes and steal some good ideas.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Update: Controller worked great

Just an update on the new controller. It worked great after I finally got it tweeked in. I will keep it for now.

Thanks for all the advice and response.