Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Brake controller crapped out

Went camping this past weekend...shortly after starting out, I realized that I had no trailer brakes. I only gave a quick cursory tap of the manual brake switch on the controller (Tekonsha "Envoy") on my way out of the driveway, and that showed that the trailer brakes worked, so off we went. wasn't 'till I got off the interstate that I realized they weren't working by applying the brake pedal.

Oh, well..it was a short trip, not too much traffic, so it didn't pose too much of a problem. but good thing I wasn't pulling a 34 footer w/ a dodge intrepid.

So at the campground, I tried to track down the problem, but didn't get far. I found one wire that was a tad loose, so I pulled the connection apart and re-spliced it. no change. then I went and did the other 3 wires, one at a time...no change. the manual switch works properly, but nothing from the pedal. Brake light circuit works. indicator light on the controller glows green when the trailer is connected, as it is supposed to. The color of this led changes to orange, and then red as more power is sent to the brakes. To adjust, the directions say to hold your foot on the brake pedal, turn the power knob to "max", and turn the control wheel until the green light starts turning orange. this sets "level" on the controller. so you should be able to actually get amps sent to the brakes when not moving, if you have the thing cranked up high enough. But no matter how far I turned the adjustment wheel, the color wouldn't change. I can see the green light flicker just a bit when I put my foot on the brake, but thats it.

so, is this thing fried, or what?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
chuck

are the trailer brakes working?

pull your break away and try to move the trailer a few feet...

this is also why i don't like "high dollar" controllers, if it craps out it don't owe me nothing!

i just go back to farm and fleet and git another for 40 bucks!

john

Old 06-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
chuck

are the trailer brakes working?
yes, absolutely. a helper confirmed that he could hear the brakes working, and I can bring the truck and trailer to a stop by using the manual brake button on the controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
this is also why i don't like "high dollar" controllers, if it craps out it don't owe me nothing!
john
you mean, there is such a thing as a "low dollar" controller??

a tech from Tekonsha just e-mailed me, and told me to "check the fuses". didn't say which one. But the response was fast. that's a good sign. Found out on their web site that this thing has a 5 year warantee, and I've only had it for 2, so we should be able to get a satisfactory solution...eventually.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
a tech from Tekonsha just e-mailed me, and told me to "check the fuses". didn't say which one. But the response was fast. that's a good sign. Found out on their web site that this thing has a 5 year warantee, and I've only had it for 2, so we should be able to get a satisfactory solution...eventually.
Yea, sure! Didn't you know that "Check the fuses." is technospeak for "Gee, I don't know, it really SHOULD work!" The lights are on, there just isn't anyone home.

So really, how does one know if the controller is fried without an electronics degree?

:I really need to work on my signature file:
- barry
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleskeep
Yea, sure! Didn't you know that "Check the fuses." is technospeak for "Gee, I don't know, it really SHOULD work!" The lights are on, there just isn't anyone home.

So really, how does one know if the controller is fried without an electronics degree?

:I really need to work on my signature file:
- barry

yeah, well...being a professional "computer troubleshooter", I know that you really do need to start with the simple stuff. 9 times out of 10, its something stupid, and its staring you right in the face. If I had a nickle for every time I fixed something by jiggling a cable or rebooting....

anyway...I couldn't find a fuse marked specifically for that circuit, but I was told to check the voltage on one of the wires, which I did, and it read 11.6v with the brake pedal depressed, 0 without, which I reported...we'll see what's next. but it seems that there's power to the unit, and its being turned on and off by the brake pedal.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Does anyone have the wiring schematic of the "universal" (not airstream specific one) plug? I think my controller did the same thing - works manually but not with the brakes.
thanks!
Marc