Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
Brake controller 87 Grand wagoneer/62 safari

I'm getting ready for it's maiden run and it's first hook up to this tv so I'm trying to get prepared. It will look sharp...that I know! Need some advice about a brake controller though. Safari is wired for one but the wagoneer is not I dont think. Can I go to camping world and by one and do this myself??
Since the brakes are already wired and they are in good condition, seems to me to be just some easy electrical connections right? I'm handy but I'm not a mechanic and know nothing about brakes.
Looking forward to your suggestions and I'll take some pic's soon
Thanks

Mike
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There's no reason you can't do it. There are basically four wires to deal with. There's 12 volts into the unit, ground, switched 12 volts off the stop light switch, and the wire out of the controller to the brakes.

Probably the hardest thing to do is run the wire from the controller to the back of the car to the trailer connector. Everything else should be under the dash.