Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Brake Condition Question

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...H/DSC_2923.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...H/DSC_2922.jpg

I have attempted to attach some pictures for this question. We'll see how this goes.

This is my first experience with magnetic brake inspection. The AS is a 2002 Safari 25. I bought it about a month ago. I have not information on its' maintenance history. The brakes shoes appear to still have life left in them. I'm not sure about the magnets. The wear surface in the drum where the magnet rides is grooved. I assume this magnet is shot. I'm looking for an opinion from some of you with experience working on these magnetic brakes.

From what I have read on this forum it probably makes sense to buy the backing plate assembly. If this is the case do I need the 6000 or 7000# brakes?

What model number bearing seal does this AS use? The bearing numbers are LM 67048 for the outer and 25580 for the inner. I don't see a number on the seal.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...H/DSC_2923.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...H/DSC_2922.jpg

I have attempted to attach some pictures for this question. We'll see how this goes.

This is my first experience with magnetic brake inspection. The AS is a 2002 Safari 25. I bought it about a month ago. I have not information on its' maintenance history. The brakes shoes appear to still have life left in them. I'm not sure about the magnets. The wear surface in the drum where the magnet rides is grooved. I assume this magnet is shot. I'm looking for an opinion from some of you with experience working on these magnetic brakes.

From what I have read on this forum it probably makes sense to buy the backing plate assembly. If this is the case do I need the 6000 or 7000# brakes?

What model number bearing seal does this AS use? The bearing numbers are LM 67048 for the outer and 25580 for the inner. I don't see a number on the seal.

Thanks for any help.
Magnets usually last about 20,000 miles or so.

The brake shoes last about 3 times that long.

This assumes normal useage.

I can give you the grease seal number, but not until I am back in my office tomorrow.

Andy

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's probably best to get complete loaded backing plates. The shoes may look good, but the epoxy that holds them to the metal tables is prone to let goas they age or get overused in one manner or another.
As for the seals, you can go to any trailer repair shop or RV dealer, and tell them you need grease seals for 12" brakes. They will be able to sell you the seals as well as the backing plates.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post

Thanks for any help.
The grease seal number is 412920.

Be very cautious about substitutes as most of them are cheap. but not good.

Andy