Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Brake Buddy

We recently towed our Subaru with the Brake Buddy system in place for the first time. It seemed to work quite well except for one instance. We were traveling on level ground without slowing the MH. Suddenly, we got a signal that the car's brakes were on. We were traveling approximately 60 MPH. The Alert Light stayed on until we reached a place to pull over. The light went off as we stopped.

We checked the unit and everything seemed to be hooked up properly. We decreased the sensitivity from 5 to 4. We never had the problem again but the unit rarely engages. Any Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:58 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
That does not sound right. I would call Brake Buddy tech support. They are very helpful and will be able to advise you if this is a cause for concern. I run mine on 5 so It kicks in each time I brake. I have the air pressure set a bit lower than they reccomend so I can feel it engage, but it does not pull on the MH.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Brett,

As usual, someone has an answer. I believe you sent me some information on the Brake Buddy just before we purchased one. You had a great "check-off list". I wanted to print it and add the items to our motorhome checklist, but the website went down and your reply was no more.

If you have it readily available, I would be more than pleased to have it again.

Thanks, Alice
Old 07-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alice,

I will try to do it again. I did it from memory last time

Brett's Toad hook up and Brake Buddy checklist.

1. Attach tow bar to toad
2. Attach Toad to MH
3. Place key in ignition and verify it is in the first (unlocked) position. Verify this by moving the wheel back and forth a few inches. In my Saturn the radio is on if the key is right, so I look for the clock.
4. Place the transmission in the position required, or run through the pre-towing procedure, for towing as stated in your toad's owners manual.
5. Attach saftey cables from toad to MH. Remember to cross the cables.
6. Connect Brake Buddy break away cable
7. Make sure alert receiver is plugged in, in the MH cockpit
8. Place Brake Buddy on floor of car and attach to brake pedal
9. Move seat to proper position for Brake Buddy operation
10. Plug in 12 VDC power for Brake Buddy and set to proper sensitivity
11. Plug in Break away wiring to Brake Buddy
12. Plug in alert transmitter wiring to Brake Buddy and place on seat or dash if it will reach
13. Test brake buddy 2-3 times to purge toad vacum. While testing have co-pilot verify the alert receiver in the MH is working and have them check the toad brake lights
14. Recheck the steering wheel to be certain the wheel is not locked
15. Verify that the doors are locked, windows are up, and if you are like me unlock the Drivers door before closing it. I allways need something from the trunk of the toad and do not have the keys.

Head out!

16. Remember to purge your Brake Buddy on removal, or if you bump the test button it will actuate and could hurt you or someone else!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Brett,
That is a much more detailed checklist than before. I'm making copies of it and will include it in my whole "before we go checklist". I don't know what we would do without all of your help. We are much more confident on the road with all of you begind us. I've learned so much from the forum posts. I don't always post comments, but I sure do read everything. Again, thanks.
Alice
Old 07-03-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Brett,
We took your advice regarding the brake buddy and have been told to bring it in for a replacement. The tech dept. said it did not sound right as well. Thanks. I hate to think that we may have traveled with the brake not working, but we did make it through. Thanks for the information.

Alice