Well I completed swaping all six brake asseblies today. A few things I learned along the way:
- check new assemblies out before installing. Several of mine had springs loose, adjusters mis aligned, and cables for auto adjust disconnected. Nothing too big to fix but best done before installation
- AS axles are supposed to have a slight bow upward. After a semi-paniced call to Inland RV I found that this was normal.
- Used this time to also inspect both sides of tires for damage etc, inspect (and caulk) wheel wells, change shocks, repack bearings.
- PO said brakes etc were good, however, 3 of six brakes were not working because of broken wires, frozen adjusters, or bad magnets. Dont trust PO stataements always check for your self
-Heat shrink/ crimp connections seemed best, installed with small propane torch to heat shrink connections (alomst burned barke wires once)
- if you can turn a wrench and follow instructions, many of which i found in the forums, its straight forward but time consuming. It took me 2.5 days to do 6 wheels but I'm picky and not a shop.
- when bolting new assembly back plate, be sure to not pinch your brake wires between the backingplate and the mounting plate (did that once and almost sheared the wires)
- plan on 3 cans of brake clean for six wheels to clean bearings and drum, also 3 rolls of shop towels
- resecure feed wires to frame so as to not have them hanging loose after install
Well worth the time and learning involved.