Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Do I need some kind of sway control and/or brakes? I have a 63 flying cloud (22') and am pulling with a 3/4 ton Silverado extended cab, 6100 engine. It's currently being refurbished, but I pulled from LA to Phx without brakes and without a problem.

Thanks in advance for the input.

dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We tow our 25' Safari with a Hensley Arrow and a Prodigy controller. All I can say is that the results have been excellent.
We tow our 27' Overlander with a Hensley Arrow and a Prodigy.
We also have nothing but praise for this set up!!!

Abe

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaiden
Do I need some kind of sway control and/or brakes? I have a 63 flying cloud (22') and am pulling with a 3/4 ton Silverado extended cab, 6100 engine. It's currently being refurbished, but I pulled from LA to Phx without brakes and without a problem.

Thanks in advance for the input.
You have plenty of truck for your camper. However, electric brakes and sway control are always good ideas. It's one of those things, kind of like having a good spare tire "you will be glad you have them-when you need them".
Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Newbie Butts In

As a brand new AS Bambi 19' owner myself, I too was really worried about towing something so much heavier/longer than my previous trailer (16' T@B). I have the Equal-I-Zer hitch and Prodigy controller and have been very pleased with both. Pulling out from the dealer, I was squealling the brakes and the tech came over and adjusted them for my heavy foot.

The brakes worked great going up Hwy 101 and Intersate 5/80. The hitch, once you've done it a couple of times is a cinch to use. Towing the Bambi was a real joy. It handles well and is very responsive.

Enjoy your decision - whatever it end up. Hope this helps.

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
VAJEEP,
I just ordered the Hensley for our new 27 Safari FB. After downloading the manual and looking at the intallation pages I'm wondering if this is something that the ordinary average guy can install. I'm reserving a Sunday afternoon next weekend to do the install. It's supposed to be owner friendly but without having it in front of me it looks kinda confusing.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
VAJEEP,
I just ordered the Hensley for our new 27 Safari FB. After downloading the manual and looking at the intallation pages I'm wondering if this is something that the ordinary average guy can install. I'm reserving a Sunday afternoon next weekend to do the install. It's supposed to be owner friendly but without having it in front of me it looks kinda confusing.
You will learn alot about your hitch by installing it your self. Lots of fellow owners here that would love to help.
I would get a set of these hitchin rods http://www.qwks.com/Hitchin-Rods-p-2.html

They will save you much time and frustration when you hookup!!
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

BrakeSmart, Hensley Arrow and Hypowered Disc brakes

If you want the safest combination that works extremely well together than go for a BrakeSmart controller with disc brakes. If you are getting a new Airstream you can have the brakes factory installed. The BrakeSmart will work with 1, 2, or 3 axles and will automatically sense how many axles or if an electro over hydraulic brake actuator is present. You will not have to touch the brake controller. I have had several controllers and until I got the BrakeSmart I used a Jordan, which is really good but not nearly as good as the BrakeSmart. I just put another BrakeSmart on my new Suburban.
Hensley is the safest setup and it works. It installs in 4 to 6 hours, but I would plan on a full day, because you will want to figure out how this beast works.
All of this stuff is expensive, more expensive than the other solutions that get the job done. But safety is an insurance policy that is expensive because those who pursue safety don't ever need it.