Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I had a boat trailer with the" easy lube" (hole in the axle , fitting in the dust cap) type set up and experienced a bearing failure that destroyed the axle. This boat trailer manufacturer no longer uses these because so many failed. I switched to an oil filled axle so I can easily see if I get water from a bad seal. I like a conventional bearing set up for any other trailer.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you all for your inputs. I did what I should of done in the first place. I gave Axis Products the maker of my axle a call. They pulled the order info on my axle. My axle was supplied with the SAFE-T-LUBE feature. The bearing can be periodically lubricated without removing the hub from the axle. This feature consists of axle spindles that have been specially drilled and fitted with a grease zerk in the ends. When grease is pumped into the zerk, it is channeled to the inner bearing then flows back to the outer bearing and eventually backs out the grease cap hole. The SAFE-T-LUBE feature is designed to allow immersion.
Even with the SAFE-T-LUBE feature periodic inspection and repacking must be done every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
So I will be taking my trailer to the dealership to get the job finished as soon as they can work it in.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That would be the recommended maintenance interval for standard axle bearings. I expect that interval applies to boat trailer more than RV trailers. Even in Florida a bearing lube should be good for more than a year unless you are submerging the axles. Most shops are going to get more dirt in there taking them apart that often than leaving them alone. Dirt is the enemy of all bearings. Water is the second worst enemy.

Perry
Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Words they mean a lot sometimes. In this case there is generic versus specific. In the first post Michael used the words bearing buddy likely because he heard it from the service person at the shop.

And in reality there are serveral types of non-standard wheel bearing lubrication systems as stated in this thread.
Easy Lube spindles
Never lube bearings
Aftermarket Bearing buddies that are not part of a replacement axle system
And may be others

While these are specific marketing names for different systems and the manufacturer would like us (the consumer) to adapt that term as the only thing acceptable the consumer could use the term generically and not know what system is actually on the trailer.

Great thread!!!! Michael, Thanks for reporting exactly what you did have as there are many users that would have figured out what exactly was on the trailer and never posted the last time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My pleasure. It was certainly a positive learning experience for me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote