Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Separation

I wouldn't expect you will have a separation problem. Your trailer is just under 24' and narrower than the standard Argosy. I think most of the separation problems are in rigs 28' and longer unless they have been riding really hard.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Separation, both front & rear can & does happen on all lengths of Airstream. I repair this on a regular basis. Although old sagged out axles contribute to this, they are not typically the cause.
The problems are usually the result of leaks, combined with structural floor rot. Keep in mind that Airstream chassies are not very rigid, & will sag under their own weight when not completely coupled with the body. Stiff old suspension just compounds the problem.

Replacement of backing plates, bearings, seals etc can easily add up to the cost of a new axle, so it doesn't make economic sense unless you're doing it yourself on an axle that is in good shape.

Thanks,
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hill country , Texas
My plan is to check out the bearings today and condition of axles and service and replace if needed hopefully all will be servicable as I want to make short trips while the weather is beautiful!

I've started saving the $cratch and I'm still researching the whole replacement axle part. Since my trailer is an odd ball, should I stick with original axle weight when replacing or upgrade the#? I want to order the complete axle and asseblies, preferably bolt on but after reading Tops axle thread I feel empowered to drill the holes to save the cash!

While I'm in there today, should I take measurements or do I have to pull the axle for a preise measurement? I'd like to get it right the first time!

ps thank you for the AWESOME detailed but easy to understand info thus far- invaluable resources here!

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyGypsy View Post
My plan is to check out the bearings today and condition of axles and service and replace if needed hopefully all will be servicable as I want to make short trips while the weather is beautiful!

I've started saving the $cratch and I'm still researching the whole replacement axle part. Since my trailer is an odd ball, should I stick with original axle weight when replacing or upgrade the#? I want to order the complete axle and asseblies, preferably bolt on but after reading Tops axle thread I feel empowered to drill the holes to save the cash!

While I'm in there today, should I take measurements or do I have to pull the axle for a preise measurement? I'd like to get it right the first time!

ps thank you for the AWESOME detailed but easy to understand info thus far- invaluable resources here!

Thanks for all the help!!
You'll need the "hub face to hub face " measurement & the "frame rail to frame rail" measurement. Although, I have the original specs, I have found variations over the years, so it's always safer to double check. The load rating of the new axles can be uprated at no cost to suit the intended use of the trailer.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote