Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Actibrake inspection hole location

For those of you planning to do the ActiBrake inspection yourself, here is a better picture of the inspection hole location - the red arrow is pointing to the 'hole' located roughly under the drill chuck.
The white spot that the drill bit is pointing to is not the hole location (I am glad I asked before I drilled...)

Jim at Airstream customer service sent this pictureover to me.

John H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiBrake Inspection Hole Location.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	112060  
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #82
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
this is by NO MEANS an experience opinion, so don't bank it....

but, i don't think there is ONE narrow set of clues to the failure...

short of smoke or hydraulic fluid dripping.

and apparently the actuator can display failure in one of 2 ways...

1. no brakes (when the tv brakes are in use) or...

2. FULL ON brakes without using the tv brakes...

#1 is less of an IMMEDIATE split second danger since MOST tv that are adequately equipped can slow the trailer down.

an experienced driver will quickly realize the trailer brakes are NOT working (with the longer/heavier streams)...

and slow down, then drive accordingly and directly somewhere for help.

#2 is more of a concern (in my view) because FULL sudden braking by the trailer when not expected, could lead to tires skidding...

and other sphincter activating surprises.

clearly anyone with INTERMITTENT brake function should pay attention to the signals.

((see questions and answers posted in blue in my earlier posts and #20,21,27,28 ))

and if PULLING the breakaway pin doesn't activate the pump 'normally' that's a sign to be aware of during hookups.

i am guessing the failure rate is SMALL but the potential is real.

and they've now identified WHY this MIGHT happen.

a reasonably mechanical owner could LOOK at the online schematics for the BOX and figure out HOW to look for leaks...

but that's not a substitute for a careful inspection.

of course is THAT (a careful inspection) possible at CW?...

i personally would NOT got there, but instead head to AoA in searcy, or st louie, or j/c.

cheers
2air'
2air:

I have a copy of a NHTSA recall notice dated Jan 3, 2008 regards to Actibrake and potential for failure due to wiring issues.

Is this the recall generating the very real concerns and that the folks in JC have recalled AS's??

The reason I ask is that I have the grey, type 2 system. It was installed in May of 2008, and over some 17,000 miles has never been a problem (If I had a piece of wood nearby I would nock on it.)

Having asked this question I have an scheduled service in a week and will have the unit inspected.

SRW
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #83
_

. , .
srw

the recall that is the seed for this thread is linked in post #1...

owners were notified around august/2010.

please post an image of the notice/recall/document u have in hand.

or a link or some reference we can all view.

thanks

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #84
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Actibrake

The NHTSA recall notice I read has to do with how ActiBrake system are installed in Doubletree RV's and does not apply to Airstreams. It discusses a wiring problem between the RV and the ActiBrake:

"Recall Date
January 25th, 2008
Units Effected
NHTSA Campaign Number
08E007000
Manufacturer
ACTIVE TECHNOLOGY
Defect Summary:
ACTIVE TECHNOLOGY IS WORKING WITH DOUBLETREE RV TO RECALL 359 ACTIBRAKE ELECTRIC-HYDRAULIC ACTUATOR, P/N AB-1-14, USED FOR HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON CERTAIN DOUBLETREE TRAILERS. THE TRAILER WIRING CONFIGURATION OF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER ALLOWS HIGH CURRENT TO BE CONTINUOUSLY APPLIED TO THE ACTIBRAKE EVEN AFTER THE TRAILER CIRCUIT BREAKER IS TRIPPED AND THE 30 AMP FUSE ON THE ACTIBRAKE IS BLOWN. THEREFORE THERE IS A SITUATION WHEREIN THE 50 AMP BREAKER IN THE TRAILER WIRING DOES NOT PROTECT THE ACTIBRAKE BATTERY CHARGER CIRCUIT FROM OVER-CURRENT."

I contacted Jackson Center about my model A-1-14 ActiBrake system installed in May of 2008 on my 2008 International and was advised that it was not the model they were concerned with - the model they are concerned with is the A-1-16."

My system was installed in May/2008 by Roger Williams in Weatherford, TX and they have since stopped selling or servicing Airstreams. JC did say if I had had the A-1-16 installed they would cover the cost of replacement if necessary.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Our 2006 trailer was on the recall list even tho we had the later version of the Actibrake and had no problems with it. However, we did have it replaced with a Dexter at JC in September. After leaving JC, we traveled to West Virginia (mountains)& noticed we had a leakage in the Dexter. Had to return to JC and they installed a second Dexter which seems to be working well. We also had to replace our Hensley brake controller as it was not functioning correctly. Nightmares about brakes for a couple of nights but all is well & working great. JC took great care of us and worked hard to solve the problems.
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Our 2007 Classic failed the recall test 3 weeks ago and tomorrow Airstream Europe will be completing the installation of a new Dexter unit, which will be the fifth actuator on our trailer.

Unfortunately it can only be tested using the brake away as our Hayes Genesis gave up the ghost two months ago. Waiting for the postman to deliver a P3.

Hopefully, this will be the end of three and a half years of issues with brakes. Really pleased to see that 4th Actibrake unit go in the bin!

Thanks to Jackson Centre for arranging all the work to take place at Airstream Europe.

John in the UK
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Well here is another failure for you. We pulled the trailer from the storage unit to our house on Friday and this afternoon when I go outside, I hear the pump running. I grab a 1/4" socket and undo the plug on the pump unit.

The brakes were install by Roger Williams Airstream back in 2007. I noticed the Actibrake and Kodiak companies have the same address in Ft. Worth. Are they business partners or does anyone know?

Which unit and which brand should I use? I have the shorter shoebox unit in my front box behind the LP bottles.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #88
_

. , .
kodiak is it's own company and still in biz. (as of 2 weeks ago)

acti'b is outta biz a couple of years now.

there are 3-4 viable options and several threads discussing the virtues of each.

since the brakes are kodiak, consider calling them 4 a recommendation.

'time to actuate' or engage braking is an important consideration.

that WAS one of acti'b selling points, the SHORTEST time to engage.

another issue is the ability to replace the brains (circuit board) without replacing the full assembly/reservoir...

at least one brand offers this modularity.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
.....and the answer is??
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #90
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
.....and the answer is??
the point is that there isn't ONE answer

price/space/ease of install/vendor support and so on may influence choice.

it is my understanding the factory service center is using the dex' for recall work and replacements.

some are using carl'

some are using b'rite.

and there are others.

kodiak supplies a LOT of brake sets,

so what they suggest and why would be good to know.

IF/when my acti'b fails it will probably be replaced with b'rite,

but so far the actib' has performed flawlessly at 100,000 miles.

see post #13 below for a nice summary of the terminology and some of the features of these gizmos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...tml#post799813

there is also literature/testing available on time to engage/performance and other technical features...

guugle using the key term (the word begins with actu'...)

then let us know what U choose and why and how the install goes.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
2air',

I met Bill Glidewell (CEO of Kodiak) when I was doing all this work with David Tidmore back in 2007. Bill's office is just a couple miles from mine, so I may just swing by and pick his brain for options....

The 3 models you listed are the ones I found as choices....just wish we Airstreamers didn't have to go through so much FUN just to enjoy our trailers!!!

Dwight
Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #92
_

. , .
hi dwight,

that's a great idea.

will be looking forward to your report on what the main man suggests

for those of us using his products.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
You took the words right off my lips....."for those of us using his products"!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I replaced the ActiBrake with the Brake-Rite EHB and love it. Easy hook up on the wiring and hydraulic line.

I contacted Dave Schumaan about reimbursing me for the cost of the Brake-Rite unit ($549.95). The disc were installed by Roger Williams in 2007 which is within the recall period. Dave said NO in a written response back to me. I even contacted Roert with Roger Williams Airstream that did the work and they said "good luck".

Short of filing a complaint with the BBB or small claims court, what are other options?

The brakes were installed by an Airstream approved and authorized dealer and service center during the recall time period....so it should be covered by the recall. I also know that Roger Williams Airstream installed the disc brakes on some trailer that went to Bayer RV because the factory was too busy to do it.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Unfortunately unless you bought the trailer new from Airstream with the Actibrake then they would have no responsibility to replace it. Airstream was stepping up for its customers because Actibrake went out of business. The warranty if any with your unit would have been through Actibrake and not Airstream, doesn't matter who did the "after market" install.
This is one of those pay up and move on times..
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
What Do You Suggest?

Our disc brake system was installed by Airstream in JC. It was a retrofit (take off the electric drum brakes). Sometime last year JC indicated bring it in... they'll check it for problems. However, since everything was working at the time I chose not to make the 1000 mile round trip.

So we go camping this weekend and as we prepare to return home I noticed the ActiBrake pump pulses slightly every 15 seconds. It's not enough to stop the trailer or really even slow it down. As I rolled through the campground I simply noticed a slight tug - almost like the brakes were not releasing - or if a rotor was warped... just a little tug. Got out to inspect and here the pump pulsing for just a few seconds about every 15 seconds.

Fortunately, we did not have far to go and it was not on the freeway. So I drove back to the storage facility carefully.

Is this the start of the full-on pump problem? I'll call A/S in JC on Monday but just wanted to check with the forum first. Any ideas?

If I do end up replacing the pump/reservoir - which brands have worked best? I know Inland Andy suggested Carlisle. I see others mentioned. Tell me your thoughts.

I forgot to say: The unit only does this when connected to the tow vehicle. When I disconnect the umbilical cord the periodic pulsing stops. Everthing on the TV seems okay. The 7-pin connector appears to engage properly. I guess I'll check for ground/power issues.

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
It's been a while but I seem to remember that its normal for the brake controller to send pulses. I asked the question when I put a test plug on the 7 way and the light flashed. I had a prodigy controller and the factory said it was normal. My Actibrake would "grab" every once in a while then it just one day decided to lock up. It was replaced by a dexter unit by a dealer (non Airstream) and AS paid for it. The old unit was junk determined by the test hole drilled. The new unit worked but since we spent so much time camping in the dealers lot, we traded the stream for a new HitchHiker 5th wheel. Fulltiming now, nice to have the room.
Good luck
Phil
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #98
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Seems to be the Brake Controller

I did some troubleshooting today and realized the brake controller is reseting itself when I stop and start the tow vehicle engine. I've tried to contact Hayes (I have a Genesis controller) but nobody has called back yet.

On a related note. I called Kodiak since it's their brand of disc brakes. They don't test controllers. They leave that up to the actuator company or installer. However, Kodiak indicated their suggestion for actuator is Carlisle or BrakeRite. The person I spoke to at Kodiak indicated they had not tested Dexter. That does not mean Dexter will not work. Of course this should all be confirmed for your situation as information like this has a way of changing.

I also spoke to Airstream in Jackson Center. Their first choice for aftermarket brake actuators is Dexter (since ActiBrake does not exist any more). The technician recommended the Hayes Genesis controller as first choice and Tekonsha P3 as the second choice with aftermarket disc brakes.

I'll keep you posted.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
FYI....

the ActiBrake folks came from Titan Brake (the makers of BrakeRite)....

the Carlyle actuator was made for Dexter until Dexter made their own unit which is based on the Carlyle unit....
Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Active Brake

I purchased my 2007 Classic in June of this year and noticed the active brake actuator and read about it. It sounded like a good addition. I started reading this thread today and the more I read the more terrified I got. Just finished a 5000 mile trip last month. I went out to get my VIN no. to call AS tomorrow. Looking at the brake actuator, I saw a bunch of loose wires. I then traced the brake lines to the wheels and find they don't connect to anything. I have drum brakes and apparently standard electric brakes, so I removed the Active Brake actuator ( more storage space). I guess AS installed the actuator on all classics regardless of whether they were to be used or not. Not sure but my fears have been reduced.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote