Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #57
. , .

looks like there is/WAS a RELATED recall on some of these trailers

equipped with DEXTER branded calipers...

this apparently involved only 22? units and was EARLY in the transition from kodiak to dexter...

built from FEB 2 MAY 2006.

so i suspect notifications went out to ALL those units,

but just in case you were sleeping....

see the link above.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
My confusion continues to increase, relative to the recall. The actuator shown in the Airstream inspection referance is not the model actuator that is installed on my trailer.

I tried to email and call Active Technology at the Iowa address. The email was returned as undeliverable, and the phone number does not work.

I will call AS tomorrow to see where I stand.

F. A. Meloy

nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #59
. , .
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
My confusion continues to increase, relative to the recall...
see post #20....actibrake won't be returning ANY calls, they're OUT OF BIZ.

see post is the 2nd PICTURE (gray box) that's being inspected.

IF YOU HAVE the whitish box with the pretty RED and BLUE lettering,

the first picture of post #39, it is NOT the one they're drillin' holes into...

if you are still confused, sell the trailer....

((that would be the silver thing right behind the f-250))

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #60
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

Can you see a brand name? Does it look like one of the two versions that 2air put the pictures up? Maybe take a pic and post it here, someone should be able to ID your unit.

Mine is the rectangular grey body, I think it is identifed as the 2nd version in the pics.

RE: post above this one, 2air is in rare form tonight and I'll swap your confusion for my passed the test recall unit, OK, I'll even ship it.

Good luck.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Recall, fluid leak -cause

As an affected AS owner, I applaud AS being proactive rather than reactive concerning this recall. That said, my questions/concerns are
1) how was the problem identified
2) what tests were performed to determine the "cause" of the problem (spending $ on the symptom while the cause lies dormant is not the answer)
3) what is the cause of failure and is it associated to a particular production run etc
When there is no answer as to 'why' a component failed (identifying the root cause), it would leave anyone uncomfortable particulary with any 'safety' item. Hence the uneasiness for those whose inspection passed presently with future uncertainty. I don't mind being told what I need, provided I'm told why I need it!
Larry & Sandy
08 Classic 30
05 GMC K2500 Duramax
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Active Technology is no longer!!

I bought my 2008 31' Classic and the first thing my wife and I noticed was the NOISE the Active Technology actuator was making every-time I stepped on the brakes. The salesman and AS both told me that this noise was normal. A few months later and many complaints from neighbors and fellow campers AS told me they would look into it.

So long story short I had to make a HARD emergency stop and I blew out the brake lines on both sides and the actuator stopped working. My dealer was told by Airstream to replace everything with Dexter parts as Active Technology was no longer a supplier. My dealer said Active Technology was out of business.

GET YOUR INSPECTION.....especially if the actuator is noisy!!

TDITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #63
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake
Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Disk Brake Worries...

Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
looks like there is/WAS a RELATED recall on some of these trailers

equipped with DEXTER branded calipers...
Well there are only two things on my Airstream that I absolutely will not ever leave to chance... Brakes and Tires.

As I intend to upgrade my 1998 34' Excella 1000 to Disk Brakes next year and now we're hearing that DEXTER brakes may also have problems, is there a brand that is known and trusted? I don't like my electric drums, but at least I know they will work when I press on the brake pedal.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Our Actibrake unit failed while I was hooking up to the trailer for a trip out of town. Since purchasing the trailer new in Dec. 2008, there had been issues with my batteries being pulled down after only a month or two of non-use. We were hitched up and all of a sudden I heard the pump unit come on. I disconnected from the vehicle (thinking it may be a problem in the controller) but it continued to run. Finally, I had to disconnect the battery. I called the dealer's service department and they directed me to AS. After doing some trouble-shooting over the phone, they sent me a new Dexter unit which I installed myself. We do not have an RV dealer close by. Bled the brakes and haven't had a problem since. Now I suspect the pump was coming on while the trailer was sitting idle. Haven't had a battery problem since. To make you aware. There is a difference in how the ActiBrake unit operated vs. the Dexter. The ActiBrake unit came on as soon as you applied brakes. The Dexter does not. Only activates when needed. Much better than hearing that pump run all of the time. We just received our recall letter. Already fixed :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
Oak Harbor , Washington
Looks like those great bird dogs of the forum have been busy rooting out what's what, way ahead of our dealer. We just received our recall today (the post office delivered it all mangled up) and I called our dealer, Sutton. According to them the recall went out before they were aware of the fix. A/S factory tech happened to be in town visiting them and they are now up to speed (that's Sutton's story). We're going to have to go 200 miles up to the dealer for an inspection as I haven't trusted my mechanical abilities since I was 16 and left a torn down '56 Ford stranded in my folks garage (yes, that's another story). The Service dept told me that they have no replacement parts yet but that A/S is "mailing" them one today. Be prepared, should you have a failing/failed activator, waiting for a part could keep you grounded.
FerryTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
just mho,but airstream after speaking with the factory seems to be taking a half assed approach to this problem.either the unit on my trailer is a problem or not a problem.when in doubt with the magnitude of the potential problem losing your brakes,a replacement unit is the only safe correction.obviosly if the actibrake system was so great the company would still be around.once you guys fiqure out the best replacement unit,i will be replacing mine at my own expense since airstreams approach through customer service is to tell me i am not entitled to a replacement.told jackson center that this was my 2nd new airstream in 3 years,and that didnt matter to them at all.with the current mngmt team i have my concern over airstreams future.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #67
2008 30' Classic
Crosby , Texas
Thread #50 has a procedure attached that says to install new unit part # 512378 but the Dexter website part number is K71-651-00 E/H1600 (Disc Brakes). Is the part number in the procedure a AS part number? Anybody know what the Dexter part number is?
Dave & Sheila

2008 30' FB K Classic Limited (R-House)
2007 Dodge Diesel 2500
AIR #35797
DnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
2006 Classic 25ft.
I have version one unit. It has failed once, but after being reset it has worked just fine since. But I guess it heard about the recall because when I checked on it today
it was seeping fluid enough to bubble the paint underneath. It was perfectly dry when
I bled the brakes and serviced it 2 months ago. I haven't even been anywhere due to a health problem. I just thought it was funny no leaks in 5 years but as soon as the
recall came out it leaked. I am going to install the Dexter I already had it bought and was carrying it for a replacement just in case.

Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
brake recall

i sent aristream an email yesterday with my VIN #, Axle # and Chasis # and asked them to verify that my unit was in the recall...i got the recall letter. I further stated that i am 200 miles from the closest dealer and it was unacceptable to ask me to drive a possible dangerous situation that far. and i also did not want an inspection i wanted it replaced....they sent a reply that said they don't know if my unit is in the recall, am i the original owner and do i have disc brakes....WHAT???? the trailer is an 07 classic purchased from Bates in would think airstream knows every part number they put on the unit...especially if it has to do with brakes....
they did say they would allow me to take the unit to any trailer dealer and they would "work with them" to fix the problem....
i replied to thei questions and have not heard back yet.
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
sounds to me with all this goodwill airstream is building alot of future buyers.dont manufacturers build expected costs of warranty claims into the purchase price??for an upscale product customer service doesnt seem to be handling customers correctly.if this is comming from thor,i think they are making a huge mistake.hopefully someone at the top will read what customers are saying and get off the corporate b/s trail.chinsy nonsense for the money that was spent on these trailers.

xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote