Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
_

. , .
thank you.

that clears up some issues...

1. diy KIT installs ordered from ANY of the many vendors who sold actibrake, are NOT covered, and that makes perfect sense.

2. the basis for the failures when/if they happen is fluid leaking onto the motor/circuitry...

so now just a couple of questions...

1. is there a time limit/window for this, what if we can't make it IN for inspection for a few months?

2. what actuator is being used for replacement? will service centers HAVE THEM in stock?

--it' seems that IF a leak is found we'd be advised NOT to tow which means STAYING at the dealership till fixed?

3. IF the weep hole is drilled and DRY, but subsequently shows hydraulic fluid leaking, for example 4-5 months later...

--will THOSE now defective units be replaced per recall?

btw i've been an enthusiastic supporter of the disc brake setup,

even with the actibrake components...

and have >80,000 totally trouble free miles using the set up,

but now i'm not so trusting of it, as one might imagine.

thanks
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #22
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Forums Recall Category

Dear All:

I second everyone's opinion that it would be useful to have a single recalls category to post such things into. And I would like, with this post to officially suggest to our dear Moderator that Forums consider making one.

I had difficulty deciding whether to post under Airstreams in the News or under Brakes and Axles. I hope I made the right choice and we aren't missing notifying any Airstream owner who needs to know this info.

It's not just Airstream recall info that would be useful, but also refrigerators, furnaces, water heaters, tires, etc.

I second 2air's suggestion that posts not include any rants, just useful actionable facts and clarifications.

I am deeply grateful for AirForums. I check it every day and it always cheers and informs me and I hope, makes me a better Airstream owner and RVr. Many thanks to 2air for his always wonderful and informative posts. Equally so to many others, too numerous to name.

Thank you all for contributing so much to my enjoyment of this wonderful life we have with our Airstreams.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Secguru,

I'm only about 7 months into my new to me AS, but this is the second recall that I have discovered via Airforums.

I third the notion, FWTW. Aren't recalls are public info if you where to look? But not looking or knowing where to look kinda make em hard to find.

I do have some DOT 3 paint peeling under the controller box, but it could also be from over filling previously (not by me) and not cleaning that stuff off with water.

Thanks,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Came Today

I received my recall notice in the mail today. Only problem is the nearest airstream dealer is over four hours away. I am sure others are in the same or worse boat than I am.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Came today...

I received my notice today(PA). Like Deitz, I am several hours away from an Airstream dealer and was planning on taking the trailer out next weekend.

For the price of the trailer, why isn't Airstream replacing the system...period?

Drill a hole, look for fluid, yes/no......step up and do the right thing.
Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The faulty Actibrake actuators has cost me over $2,000.00 in repairs.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1. is there a time limit/window for this, what if we can't make it IN for inspection for a few months?
Time frame for notification of recall depends on the response, if some one hasn't had ther unit inspected Airstream would want an inspection performed
2. what actuator is being used for replacement? will service centers HAVE THEM in stock?

Dexter

--it' seems that IF a leak is found we'd be advised NOT to tow which means STAYING at the dealership till fixed?

If there is problem found Airstream would want them repaired as soon as possible.

3. IF the weep hole is drilled and DRY, but subsequently shows hydraulic fluid leaking, for example 4-5 months later...
Units have been in service since 2005,if there is not problem during inspection it is likely there will not be a problem .

lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
_

. , .
all right then...

THANKS again for the clear answers

i'm gonna HIGHLIGHT the answers in your note to make them distinct from the questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post

Time frame for notification of recall depends on the response,
if some one hasn't had ther unit inspected Airstream would want an inspection performed

Dexter

If there is problem found Airstream would want them repaired as soon as possible.

Units have been in service since 2005,
if there is not problem during inspection it is likely there will not be a problem .

1. ok so for those of us with LONG TIME reliability, get the 'inspection' done but don't worry too much.

2. the replacements are dexter and IF i go to a dealer/service center for this (instead of j/c) inspection...

3. i'll CALL AHEAD and make sure the dealership has parts JUST in case?

again thanks for stepping up on this issue...

4. is the LEAKING really the only problem and the primary source for past failures?

i LIKE the setup but wonder IF the actuator will eventually (sooner rather than later) fail?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Incorrect Phone Number

I called the 877 number on the link on the first post, it answers at Workhorse Custom Chassis, the polite associate was quite confused over my last 8 of the VIN, find out that they have rec'd several calls from AS onwers because of incorrect phone number. I offered to post likely incorrect contact number on our forum.

I got the AS number fom the website and left a message with the recall number, VIN and contact info.

I looked at my actuator tonight, yes, some rust apparently or possibly from DOT 3, but unconfirmed, looks like there is a pad under the actuator, not sure if its a good thing or a water trap that hasn't been discovered. I do not have a valid fluid reference level to determine if it has leaked or not.

Looks like the unit IMHO would need to be removed to access the dry side of the module as it is mounted pretty snug against frame.

Next outing less than 30 days out, aarrgh.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Fluid on Control Board

Two versions of the Actibrake actuator were used in model years 2005-2009. We've had two Version 1's fail and one Version 2 fail. Our fourth Version 2 is OK so far.

The Version 1 had the electronics separate from the brake fluid reservoir and not integral with the reservoir as in Version 2.

So these early Version 1 actuators failed for some other reason than fluid entering the electronics and cannot be "checked" by drilling a hole in the electrical housing to check for a leak of fluid. I wonder what the check is for these early actuators?

The operation of both of these units was affected by air locks in the hydraulic system, earth connections, transient currents from DC equipment, the proximity of AC cables and incompatability with some brake controllers.

IMHO there is no place for these unreliable units in a braking system.

John in the UK
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
My unit failed in May while the trailer was sitting on my parking pad at my home. I heard a noise coming from the box and it was the pump running. I disconnected the power and took the trailer to the dealer and had the unit replaced (over $800.00), and yes out of warranty by just over a month. I phoned Airstream yesterday after I got the recall. They wouldn't commit to a reimbursement on the phone, but requested all the details and a copy of the bill. That has been emailed to customer support. We'll see how much they really care about their customers. I'm just glad I wasn't driving 45-55 mph on some curvey road when the actuator decided to turn itself on!!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
received my notice yesterday.trying to get ahold of airstream to make sure my unit gets replaced.drilling a hole is not going to work for me.also want to be reimbursed for my cost to take my trailer to the dealer 60 miles away.for a first class product like airstream,they should send a mobile tech to me to replace the unit.it is going to cost more for airstream to pay 3 hrs of diagnostic time then just stepping to the plate and replacing the unit.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #33
_

. , .
yeah this is a tough one,

i hope we can keep the VERY understanding bitch'n to a minimum in this thread...

and just SOLVE the problem.

and i am very happy we are getting EXACT info from the mothership on this...

at least so far.
_______

actibrake is GONE, so while the recall is about THEIR PARTS, we've got NO RECOURSE with them...

a/s IS stepping up to TRY to cover this and how they handle it really matters.

this isn't corroded skin or squeeky floors or leaky skylights.

this is critical parts of the braking systems on the TOP line in their product pool...

the classics may not be fashion statements but they do epitomize the long history of streams and streamin'
________

the recall suggests <750 units are affected...

even if they replaced ALL of these at a cost of (wild guess) 500-600$ per trailer....

that's ~450,000 $ or about 10-12 new units...

yes HALF a million is a bunch of money, but again this is the BRAKING system on these things.

just ONE calamity, ONE fatality, ONE major wreck related to this issue would cost MANY TIMES that figure.

i think they could arrange to...

1. inspect (for damage/statistics) and replace them all...

2. offer to reimburse (up to some reasonable dollar amount) those who wanna use a NON dexter actuator...

3. coordinate inspect/repairs using several of the REGIONALLY TOP dealers/service shops...

#3 would SAVE us $ not having to tow to ohio and spread the process out to regional, qualified service shops.

((it's either 250 or 500 miles to the shops i'd consider using 4 this work))

i understand the margin is THIN at the factory and pressure to make a PROFIT is intense from thor...

but this issue has the potential to go very badly for them...

and could turn expensive now, and for decades with potential REpeat sales...

cheers
2air'

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
When this recall originally come out, I found pictures and step by step instructions regarding the drilling. Now I can't find it but at the time I thought it was a mickey mouse way of doing an inspection. As I read this, maybe not. Of course now I can't find the site.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I got a call from Aristream today and they confirmed my VIN is affected. I already have an appointment to take it in, same place that I bought it from.

The only thing that I'm troubled about is the what if factor. What if it passes the drill and no weepage test, this test IMHO cannot test the integrity of the part that contains the DOT 3 and might fail at a later date. Which if I followed my AS rep correctly is part of the pump housing rather than a reservoir. Seems like the only advantage to the drill hole is that your failure would not be from a contaminated control board, but rather from potentially bleeding out squirt by squirt and then no brakes. I'm only kicking tires as most all of us are until we get to see some pics of tested units or perhaps a disected unit to pour over.

I hope to know where I stand sometime Saturday.

Gary

PS All I had to do to register as 2nd owner was to e-mail a scan of my registeration and info to AS, just waiting for confirmation.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
NHTSA recalls: email notification

Hello all,

Since it's not exactly in the most noticeable place on the NHTSA webpage (imho), here's a link to NHTSA's recall notification subscription page
ODI - Office of Defects Investigation -- Subscribe -- Recall Alerts

Travel trailer brands are included in the vehicle make picklists (Airstream trailers are about halfway down), so you can limit your notifications by make and year (2001 and newer only).
Aristolochia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #37
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Excellent Aristolochia, thanks a million

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm at the factory today for an alignment. I received a recall notice so had AS check that too. My unit had the older actuator so was not involved in the recall. Lucky me!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #39
_

. , .
i have read reports of FAILED UNITS from both generations of actib' stuff...

but for those who wanna know which is which...

this is version ONE

Click image for larger version

Name:	versionONE.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	108398

this is version TWO

Click image for larger version

Name:	versionTWO.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	108399

version TWO is LARGER that ONE, and has a bigger fluid reservoir...

but ONE has the brains above the fluid reservoir.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #40
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I don't think it is safe to assume if you have version 1, you do not need to have
it checked? There was no mention of actuator version or model numbers in my
recall notice. On the other hand, I would hate driveing all that way with V1 and
find out V1 actuators do not need checked.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for the pics 2air

2500HD DMax............30' Classic