Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Thanks for the heads up. Just got my notice in the mail today from Airstream.

I wish there was one thread that Airstream recalls could be posted to.
Then we could all subscribe to it. I didn't notice this post until I received
my notice in the mail, then i started poking around on the forums.
Just a thought.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
...I wish there was one thread that Airstream recalls could be posted to...
yep, me too.

tried to suggest and get one going...

but the idea went nowherefastorslowly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...lls-37376.html

mehbe it was the blue oval post that kill'd it....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does anyone know when you buy a used AS does AS know that I am the new owner? If this does not happen via the state titling and registration, can a new owner notify AS of the change of ownership?

I'm watching this one and I start my calls real soon for my '07.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

The only way Airstream knows if a unit has changed hands is if was under warranty and there was a warranty transfer. A customer can call Airstream and provide ownership changes and they can be recorded.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
_

. , .
thank for posting, NOW....

PLEASE explain how the recall is to be handled, from a company perspective lynn...

there are plenty of us here with the equipment that is the subject of this thread.

and i am SURE we would all like to understand the details...

how can an actuator that has the potential to 'suddenly fail' be inspected?

is there some specific issue that some of the actibrake units exhibit that OTHERS don't?

or should they all just be replaced?

IF we opt to visit a local a/s authorized dealer/service center WHAT exactly will they do INSPECTION wise ???

really we'd love to have your clear concise expert opinion on this important issue.

it's great that a/s has acknowledged a problem in a few bits supplied by another vendor...

it's a BIG step for the company to take control of this issue by way of a RECALL,

so please take the next step...

and explain it for us.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

The issue is that the fluid reservoir may leak. It could let fluid into pump compartment (motor/controls)housing, which could cause the pump to not operate properly. The case will be inspected by drilling a weep hole in the non-reservoir side of the actuator case. No fluid, it passes the inspection,if there is fluid found to be in the motor comp. the actuator will be changed.
As you know Acti-Brake is no longer in business so Airstream is sending letters to have the actuators tested as a precaution. This recall pertains to the actuators installed by Airstream.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
_

. , .
thank you.

that clears up some issues...

1. diy KIT installs ordered from ANY of the many vendors who sold actibrake, are NOT covered, and that makes perfect sense.

2. the basis for the failures when/if they happen is fluid leaking onto the motor/circuitry...

so now just a couple of questions...

1. is there a time limit/window for this, what if we can't make it IN for inspection for a few months?

2. what actuator is being used for replacement? will service centers HAVE THEM in stock?

--it' seems that IF a leak is found we'd be advised NOT to tow which means STAYING at the dealership till fixed?

3. IF the weep hole is drilled and DRY, but subsequently shows hydraulic fluid leaking, for example 4-5 months later...

--will THOSE now defective units be replaced per recall?

btw i've been an enthusiastic supporter of the disc brake setup,

even with the actibrake components...

and have >80,000 totally trouble free miles using the set up,

but now i'm not so trusting of it, as one might imagine.

thanks
2air'

Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Forums Recall Category

Dear All:

I second everyone's opinion that it would be useful to have a single recalls category to post such things into. And I would like, with this post to officially suggest to our dear Moderator that Forums consider making one.

I had difficulty deciding whether to post under Airstreams in the News or under Brakes and Axles. I hope I made the right choice and we aren't missing notifying any Airstream owner who needs to know this info.

It's not just Airstream recall info that would be useful, but also refrigerators, furnaces, water heaters, tires, etc.

I second 2air's suggestion that posts not include any rants, just useful actionable facts and clarifications.

I am deeply grateful for AirForums. I check it every day and it always cheers and informs me and I hope, makes me a better Airstream owner and RVr. Many thanks to 2air for his always wonderful and informative posts. Equally so to many others, too numerous to name.

Thank you all for contributing so much to my enjoyment of this wonderful life we have with our Airstreams.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Secguru,

I'm only about 7 months into my new to me AS, but this is the second recall that I have discovered via Airforums.

I third the notion, FWTW. Aren't recalls are public info if you where to look? But not looking or knowing where to look kinda make em hard to find.

I do have some DOT 3 paint peeling under the controller box, but it could also be from over filling previously (not by me) and not cleaning that stuff off with water.

Thanks,

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Came Today

I received my recall notice in the mail today. Only problem is the nearest airstream dealer is over four hours away. I am sure others are in the same or worse boat than I am.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Came today...

I received my notice today(PA). Like Deitz, I am several hours away from an Airstream dealer and was planning on taking the trailer out next weekend.

For the price of the trailer, why isn't Airstream replacing the system...period?

Drill a hole, look for fluid, yes/no......step up and do the right thing.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The faulty Actibrake actuators has cost me over $2,000.00 in repairs.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1. is there a time limit/window for this, what if we can't make it IN for inspection for a few months?
Time frame for notification of recall depends on the response, if some one hasn't had ther unit inspected Airstream would want an inspection performed
2. what actuator is being used for replacement? will service centers HAVE THEM in stock?

Dexter

--it' seems that IF a leak is found we'd be advised NOT to tow which means STAYING at the dealership till fixed?

If there is problem found Airstream would want them repaired as soon as possible.

3. IF the weep hole is drilled and DRY, but subsequently shows hydraulic fluid leaking, for example 4-5 months later...
Units have been in service since 2005,if there is not problem during inspection it is likely there will not be a problem .

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #28
_

. , .
all right then...

THANKS again for the clear answers

i'm gonna HIGHLIGHT the answers in your note to make them distinct from the questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post

Time frame for notification of recall depends on the response,
if some one hasn't had ther unit inspected Airstream would want an inspection performed

Dexter

If there is problem found Airstream would want them repaired as soon as possible.

Units have been in service since 2005,
if there is not problem during inspection it is likely there will not be a problem .

1. ok so for those of us with LONG TIME reliability, get the 'inspection' done but don't worry too much.

2. the replacements are dexter and IF i go to a dealer/service center for this (instead of j/c) inspection...

3. i'll CALL AHEAD and make sure the dealership has parts JUST in case?

again thanks for stepping up on this issue...

4. is the LEAKING really the only problem and the primary source for past failures?

i LIKE the setup but wonder IF the actuator will eventually (sooner rather than later) fail?

cheers
2air'